Hacking Suggestion Possible exploit? WiiU>Switch

machinoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not stupid at all, just curious. But look at it this way, a crash almost never means an exploit, so much as actual exploits, by function, just so happen to crash the system.
Not every crash is an exploit, but every exploit starts from a crash.
Okay to clear this up, this is nonsense. MC on switch simply can't read the modified file and crashes thats it. If you can proof that your modified file caused a buffer overflow while being read and not just crashed the game because of being unable to read the file, then report back. Thread should be locked otherwise.
There is a reason for every crash. Maybe it is exploitable. Maybe it isn't. I, for one, like it when people post potential leads. To say this is definitely not exploitable without so much as trying it is bad form.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
all these keyboard warriors ganging up on a genuine question that nobody seems to understand...

Ya'll need Jesus or a mother's love or something to take all this salt out of your wounds.

For OP: It's possible but highly unlikely. We would need someone to test this and record what exactly happens when the modified map is loaded. Good job on finding out the maps are cross platform.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The sheer amount of people who don't have basic reading skills is shocking. OP isn't trying to modify the switch save file. They are saying minecraft has a built in world transfer option from wii u to switch, and that a modified save that worked on wii u crashes the switch version. Y'all need some hooked on phonics.
And I remember a time where someone mentioned a crash like this, everyone reacted similarly and then it was found to be a legitimate way to exploit the system.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Gotta say this is surely an interesting idea.
I didn't know both Minecraft on Wii U and Switch had a "transfer world" option from which you could transfer a world from the Wii U version to the Switch one.
This is certainly worth the shot.

That is not to say that it won't be an exploit per-se, but perhaps it could lead in the right direction to an entrypoint based on a game.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
If he debugs what he did, and proofs that he triggered a buffor overflow using a transferred modified save, which then caused a JOP payload to execute his own code, then god praise him, otherwise this thread should be locked.

Maybe OP doesn't have the skills to do all that? He's just suggesting an interesting idea, not stating that this is a way to hack the Switch.

If it's not going to work just say that politely and move on instead of being an [redacted].

Last edited by bowser,

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I do. No buffer overflow -> no JOP/ROP execution -> no arbitrary rw through that save file.

Well, obviously I didn't mean everyone. You know for a damn fact if a known DEV would have made this same exact thread, people would have been sucking them off.

I started believing that weird stuff like this can hack anything, because people always bitched at other people for the 3DS "Never is going to get homebrew past 9.2 firmware" and look how wrong they were.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two "words." One is a single letter, the other is an intentional misspelling.... What a helpful post /s

Can you assholes (not just the guy I quoted) maybe just explain WHY that won't work to this guy, instead of trying to make him stupid for having an idea? This is a public website, not some hacker-excluisive secret club. Some people don't get this stuff as well as others. I'd say MOST, in fact. Y'all need to have some damn patience with people here. Just about every Switch related thread I've been in is someone asking something "stupid" (and sometimes it really is, but oh well) and the entire thread jumping down their throat. If you guys hate exploit theories and ideas so much, STOP CLICKING ON THEM! ....now who's stupid?

Sephiroth79

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
He can't proof if it's causing a buffer overflow has he has no knowledge about undestanding it .

He is just giving an idea to the forum and asking if there's someone among us who has the knowledge to further investigate!

This should be the reason for keeping forums alive instead it seems that we're just linking what other people are doing here or there.

adrifcastr

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I agree you did. But you called it "Nonsense." You'd called the idea stupid without typing it. That's why you got insulted. You didn't need to put that in.
I didn't call the idea stupid. Nonsense was referring to HOW he did it. he cheated on that save which then was not readable for the switch anymore which caused it to crash. There is potential in modifying the saves values to trigger an overflow which executes JOP chains, but not with cheating items.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I wasn't talking about you, then. Just went back and read all your posts and I don't see anything calling OP stupid or anything like that. My previous comment was not intended for you. I'm more talking about people such as @Kubas_inko or @Bladexdsl.

Unfortunately, assholes are assholes. Doesn't matter if they are insulting someone who doesn't quite get how this stuff works, or the person trying to help them, or any other random person they can take out their pent-up neckbeard frustrations on.
I didn't mean you, scroll up a bit, that guy instantly insulted me for no reason lol

Reactions: DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So after 7 months of existence, you want to find exploit to alter saves inside the console? Well, you can start without us ;)

He's saying alter the save of a Wii U map which you can transfer to the Switch version. Its not a terrible idea. Think of the original Twilight exploit for the Wii. Imagine if you could only get that save file on your Wii through some sort of weird transfer method from the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess(obviously wasn't feasible or necessary then, but its the same idea).

Reactions: nmkd

tunip3

[debugger active]
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
this would be cool if it existed

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

but the pictures app will most likely be exploited first

jimmyj

Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think this is a really GOOD idea. I apologize for the negativity, try to ignore those posts. I suppose since the WiiU itself is hacked, perhaps a map could be edited to include (or perhaps just be) a payload, which could then be transferred to the Switch (as you said, you have ALREADY successfully transferred a save, it is just crashing the Switch if I understand correctly?). That is exactly how Ninjhax, OOTHax, BaseHax, and pretty much all the other ...Hax worked on 3DS, it is not a stretch to think something similar could be done on the Switch.
Still just be userland tho

Reactions: nmkd

Shajk00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think many here are missing the point of the whole thread, the boy who posted was not trying to give a proof or a method to exploit the swtich, he was just wondering whether or not it could be possible to exploit the switch using minecraft maps' sharing system as a entry point for accessing the console some way.
You all are being bitchy assholes, attacking a guy who obviously have no clue on how to debug and prove something.. he is just politely sharing an idea. This is a FREE community where everyone is allowed to share his point of view without expecting to be attacked for no reason, even more so when the idea is not that illogical and you "experts" insulting him haven't even tried seeing how it works with your own eyes, just rejecting it and claiming it wouldn't work with no clue either. This community is becoming toxic with people like you.

Last edited by Shajk00,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-