Hacking Suggestion Possible exploit? WiiU>Switch

WadsRUs

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Savegame exploits on switch are extremely unlikely to ever materialize, because of ASLR being enabled on the system.

This begs the question - why hasn't Nintendo yet implemented a system function to allow us to backup save game data? People have been assuming it's because they are scared of the Switch being cracked due to "altered" save data being loaded, but doesn't ASLR make a mockery of that assumption?

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This begs the question - why hasn't Nintendo yet implemented a system function to allow us to backup save game data? People have been assuming it's because they are scared of the Switch being cracked due to "altered" save data being loaded, but doesn't ASLR make a mockery of that assumption?
Because just like everyone else, Nintendo half-assed the release. Everything these days gets released way before it's ready. Consumers get to twiddle their thumbs while basic functionality gets implemented months after.

Reactions: WadsRUs

Hielkenator2

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
As I recall, it was the exploit causing a crash, enabling to inject custom code in previous methods.

What the op suggest is the other way around. Is his case the game crashes without an exploit to begin with. there is no entry point for code injection.
There is'nt any exploit causing a crash. it's just a crash.

Last edited by Hielkenator2,

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it is possible as I have been playing around with this for a while. However, we would need to find an exploit in the code from Minecraft. And I don't know if anyone is skilled in doing that?

And to all the haters in this post: Twilight Princess worked the same way!
hmm? could you elaborate? was it possible for twilight princess on wii to detect twilight princess saves on a gamecube memory card?

machinoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think what he said was his customized world data crashed the Switch. "Just a crash" is misleading terminology, because every crash has a cause. I agree that it is probably not a buffer overflow, as those are rare. Something being rare, though, doesn't disprove its existence. Example:

Lets say games with editable files are ponds, this reported crash is like ripples on the surface of a pond, and buffer overflows are fish.

Fisherman #1: Look, there's ripples in this pond. Maybe its a fish. Should we fish here?
Fisherman #2: The vast majority of ripples are not caused by fish. That is a stupid question.
Fisherman #1: But this is the only pond we've found in 6 months...
Fisherman #2: Listen, pal. I just proved there are no fish in this pond. Clearly you know nothing about fishing.

Fisherman #2 may be right that it is not a fish. In fact, he probably is right. But they won't know for certain unless they fish, and Fisherman #1's question is not "stupid".

Last edited by machinoman,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.