Popular 3DS Theme site 3DSThem.es shuts down due to financial issues

upload_2017-12-9_18-13-3.png
Popular 3DS Theme site 3DSThem.es has recently shut down due to "financial difficulties". Any attempt to access the site now results in a 522 error, as seen above. The Themely repo on GitHub was also archived around the same time. I'd like to remind people that this does not mean that the themes are lost. Most of them are still available on the 3DSThem.es Archive. Given that 3DSThem.es has shut down, the Theme Browser in Themely will no longer function. This was really the only benefit of the closed-source version, so it is recommended that you switch to either the open-source fork of Themely by ihaveamac or Anemone3DS by astronautlevel. Don't fret, because another 3DS Theme site, Theme Plaza, exists. Now, let's have a moment of silence for Themely and 3DSThem.es... :cry:

:arrow:SOURCE: Reddit

(P.S.: Erman, 3DSThem.es's creator, is doing fine, so don't worry about him.)

Last edited by PrincessLillie,

Memth48

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so i am curious. How much did this site cost to run before it was shut down? I make good money but i know nothing about getting somthing like that back up. Seems to complicated to be worth it.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good riddance; I haven't forgotten the debacle with the original custom 3DS themes site.
wtMKvEO.png
Anybody know what that original custom themes site was and what happened?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Uhm... can anyone explain to me the "cost" of running a website? Since the hostprovider I have got unlimited bandwidth and costs like 2€ a month.
Main cost is the domain, if there is one. You can make a simple, free site with GitHub, though I think there is a repo size limit for free accounts...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That actually lags my phone. I should get a better one.

Mr.Faq2015

/ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Anybody know what that original custom themes site was and what happened?

Someone correct me if I'm actually mistaken on something.
3dsthemes.com. "Giving custom 3DS Themes a Home". Got hacked and messed up several months after it became sorta known to the public, supposedly by someone here. It continued to exist a little after the whole hacking thing got solved software-wise, but the owner (I forgot the username, I feel ashamed) eventually decided to shut it down due to being unable to keep it up server-wise. 3dsthem.es arose by the time 3dsthemes.com was starting to shut down.

3dsthemes.com shall persist in our memories as a stand-up against one of the things Nintendo did wrong with the 3DS and tons of people willed to prove it to be wrong

Last edited by Mr.Faq2015,

Memth48

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know there are other sites like 3dsthem.es but to be honest i kinda fell for the site. Like alot of other people i used it alot and began to upload alot of my own themes. After my 3ds breaking i just never went back. I would love to bring the site back up to life but at the same time even tho i can afford it with ease i just have better things to focus on right now.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I mean, they could have asked if someone was willing to host the site for them. I have a server with 1TB of space and 1Gbps unmetered bandwidth that I'm planning on keeping long term, and I don't use much of the space or bandwidth on it, so I would have been willing to help out. I might even be able to help out with the coding. I guess it's too late now though.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat