[Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (3DS and 2DS)

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by samiam144, Jun 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samiam144
    OP

Member samiam144 Régulier

Canada
    Inside the "hax" folder in the Luma3DS download zip, there is a folder called "3ds". Just drag that to your SD card root and Luma will be in your HBL menu.
    About your second question; it may have something to do with a Luma setting you might have enabled. IIRC, Luma should automatically bring you to the *nand that you were in when you launched the game.

2. ZeroGS

Newcomer ZeroGS Member

Singapore
    Hmm... I followed his direction to the letter so the only option I fiddled with was "- When you first launch Luma3DS, you'll be greeted with a configuration menu which is one time only. Only option you should select is "Show NAND or user string in system settings", then press start to reboot." thing.

After I did that I noticed the problem when soft resetting my Pokemon since there's no return to title screen option.
    What exactly happens is:
    - I press the home button by then I'm still in emuNAND
    - I tap on the close software then everything turns black
    - Next thing I know I'm back in sysNAND.

Can anyone else test? Maybe that's just how it is...

3. samiam144
    OP

Canada
    Oh is it the new Pokemon? If you are using an original 3DS (or XL), then the system does a soft-reboot to launch the game; this is so that the system can go into extended memory mode, which provides more ram to the game (this also happens with Smash Bros. and another game I'm forgetting). Luma should reset you back into emunand after exiting the game, at least, for DS/DSi games, but I thought it would do it for extended memory games too. I guess not?

4. ZeroGS

Newcomer ZeroGS Member

Singapore
    Yes for the new Pokemon and yes I'm using an original 3DSXL. I tried 3 3DS cartridges (Monster Hunter, Persona Q, Prof. Layton) though which yielded the same results of closing the software booting into sysNAND right after. I then tried 3 3DS installed titles (Gunvolt, Phoenix Wright, Senran Kagura) which did what I wanted of closing the software then staying in emuNAND.

So I'm thinking it's really how Luma handles closing cartridge games since installed games work just fine. I never actually tried this on rxTools though if it behaved the same...

5. samiam144
    OP

Canada
    I just tested really quick on my O3DS using Pokemon Y and Smash, and both of them exit as normal - Pokemon Y just goes back to the home menu, and Smash goes through a black screen, then puts me right back into emunand home menu. This is using Luma 6.3 (IIRC) on emunand (which was created with the gateway launcher).

Edit: forgot to mention, both are cartridges. My CIAs also exit as normal.

Last edited by samiam144, Nov 21, 2016
  6. rody2k6

Member rody2k6 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Guys quick question. I have RX installed but got banned due to being stupid and going online on Sun. Anyways I backed up my SD Card so I could then just transfer the installed games and saves over to the new emunand that I'd create.

I did everything, formated the SD Card, followed the steps and created the new Emunand on top of the old one (that was banned). Soon as emunand was created I brought the original files that I had backed up over (which instead of RX boots into Luma) thing is all I get is a loop of the colored screens and the 3ds nevers boots in Emunand. Therefore, I just overwrote the files from my backed up 3ds with the ones created by this installation here. Now the 3ds boots into SYSNAND and if I use the browser I can go to emunand, okay cool but thing is in emunand none of the games show up.

What can I do guys to make my games and save show up in this new EMUNAND?

7. samiam144
    OP

Canada
    Your old emunand and new emunand probably have a different ID, so your new emunand can't read the data that belongs to the old emunand.
    Either way, if I recall correctly, changing your emunand will not get you unbanned. There are certain files in your nand that are used to identify a 3DS (such as "LocalFriendSeedCode_B"), so the only way to get unbanned that we know currently is to switch those certain files in your nand with the same files from a 3DS that was not banned. More info here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-fully-unban-using-system-transfer-requires-2-3dss.450388/

Anyways, I suggest you just restore your old emunand for now if the only reason you went through this process is to attempt to unban your 3DS.

8. rody2k6

United States
    Switching nands does get one ubanned. I got 3 SD cards running rx/luma each has a different friend id so basically each is a different 3ds.

Well about the banned emunand, I count get e9 running and not even the emunand tool could read the damn thing so I got pissed and formated the SD after I had backed up so I can't go back to the old emunand now, can I at least recover the save files??

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Tapatalk

9. samiam144
    OP

Canada
    The ban for Sun/Moon is not as easy to overcome. Every tutorial about this specific ban involves using another clean 3DS to transfer the clean LocalFriendCodeSeed to the banned 3DS. See the conversation here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-unban-your-nintendo-3ds.449251/page-15#post-6863328
    The raw save files are also linked to the nand ID (same ID you find in the Nintendo 3DS folder). Unless you backed up the saves using homebrew such as JKSM, I don't think you can recover them to a different nand. However, if your old emunand was your first emunand, and you still have a copy of your original sysnand, then they might have the same ID; therefore, you should be able to restore that sysnand backup to emunand and access your old emunand data again.

rody2k6 likes this.
  10. rody2k6

United States
    I got unbanned by erasing the old emunand and formatting a new one. Thing is before this mess I had 3 separate SD Cards with RX and each was basically a different emunand. After this one that got borked and now it's back to normal, all the other SDs aren't being detected anymore. Would I have to unlink the sysnand again with each SD connected? Since all the necessary files for the hack are already in place?? Thanks

11. samiam144
    OP

Canada
    Do you mean the card isn't read at all or just the emunand isn't being read?

12. rody2k6

United States
    Card is being read alright on the PC, when I put it in the 3ds it goes straight into sysnand and I can clearly see the sysnand is edited correctly with because that space where the title manager icon sits it's empty.

13. samiam144
    OP

Canada
    And you are expecting it to boot to emunand right; sorry if you mentioned it before but are you using menuhax or A9LH?

14. rody2k6

United States
    Expecting to go into emunand via menuhax. The one working sd is the one I formated again and used this guide to get it running and then put luma in it. The other 2 that were working and stopped after I followed this guide to do the 3rd SD card they were also rx and then went to luma. All have menuhax

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Tapatalk

15. samiam144
    OP

Canada
    Ah okay.. so it works fine with the one SD card. So on the cards that aren't working, do you even see the colored screens when turning on your 3DS? If no, then menuhax isn't launching at all on the other cards, which sounds to me that the cards are missing some files. It could also be that the theme files inside the Nintendo 3DS/(sysnand ID folder) of both cards are corrupted.

Taken from the troubleshooting section in the OP:
    find the "extdata" folder which is inside the Nintendo 3DS/(sysnand ID folder) on your SD card. Find any folder that is named either "000002cc", "000002cd", or "000002ce".
    If any of those folders are there, delete them. This will reset your theme and ensure that themehax/menuhax is not present on your sd card. Even if you never used Menuhax or you don't use it anymore, try this solution.

After deleting these folders you can try setting up Menuhax again using that specific card. If it works, do the same with the other card. Hopefully this solves it!

16. rody2k6

United States
    Found 3 of these folders with the same names, deleted them all. I proceeded to download the files from rar 3dskit you got and booted into RX via browser and went to SYSNAND and installed Homebrew Launcher, thing is when I open it, it says the homebrew ropbin is ready and I get a yellow screen below.

EDIT: Such an idiot, I always forget that these things go wrong, I retried and I got menuhax installed, everything is as it was, all my games are there. 100% good to go, tomorrow I'll do the other SD card that is left since I know what to do now. Thanks for all the help man, you're the best!

Last edited by rody2k6, Nov 25, 2016
  17. samiam144
    OP

Canada
    No problem, glad it's sorted :yay3ds:

18. Kay12345

Newcomer Kay12345 Member

France
    Alright thx man

samiam144 likes this.
  19. rody2k6

United States
    Hey mate, remember that I had said that my newly formatted EMUNAND was unbanned, I thought that because the eShop opened but soon as I tried to create a login I got the dreaded error message. I tried even another SD that had no Pokemon in it and BAM error too, shit! When I go into my friend's list all I get is the error 002-0102, damn it! So I guess the ban is something that goes over EMUNAND and straight into SYSNAND.

That guide talks about a clean 3ds, well I only got this 1 3ds and none of my friends have a 3ds, guess Im screwed.

20. samiam144
    OP

Canada
    Some people are waiting it out, hoping that it's just a temp ban. Idk, maybe there will be a NTR method or similar to bypass the ban if it's really permanent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.