• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[POLL] U.S. Presidential Election 2016

Whom will/would you vote for?

• Laurence Kotlikoff (Independent)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tom Hoefling (America's Party)

• Mike Maturen (American Solidarity Party)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except she's not for the TPP.

She was a vocal proponent of the TPP before Sanders convinced half the Democratic leaning electorate that it was not good for America.

She said that once she saw the final version she could no longer support it. What that means is that she liked the earlier drafts. You can fully expect her to support a similar agreement in the future without those "final details" that supposedly bothered her.

I think she only switched her opinion to appeal to Bernie supporters. I fully expect her to negotiate a similar trade deal in the future.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh :blink:I thought she was, huh, good, I'm glad she opposes it then.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/15/polit...linton-pushed-the-trade-bill-she-now-opposes/

Ultimately I think it depends on how you take it but for what it is worth considering past history of these free trade deals that she did support it but likely changed on it for political reasons to appeal to progressives somewhat like how Romney was on abortion so to speak. Although we probably will never know how much the "final" deal and the previous versions were.

Also see

Last edited by RevPokemon,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
She was a vocal proponent of the TPP before Sanders convinced half the Democratic leaning electorate that it was not good for America.

She said that once she saw the final version she could no longer support it. What that means is that she liked the earlier drafts. You can fully expect her to support a similar agreement in the future without those "final details" that supposedly bothered her.

I think she only switched her opinion to appeal to Bernie supporters. I fully expect her to negotiate a similar trade deal in the future.

On second thought, screw it, the TPP is a bad idea for many people, I won't support any politician that supports such a horrible trade policy.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to mention she's for the TPP, that's a deal-breaker IMO.
That's not necessarily true, she was for the Trans-Pacific Partnership before a bunch of revisions were made that made it what it is today. If I recall correctly she doesn't support it in its current state

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not necessarily true, she was for the Trans-Pacific Partnership before a bunch of revisions were made that made it what it is today. If I recall correctly she doesn't support it in its current state
But the real question like what they raised on Young Turks is how honest is she about it given what little we know? I highly recommend watching that video as it really explains it very well. But ultimately it would be foolish to say that her position did not change beceause of political reasons.

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the real question like what they raised on Young Turks is how honest is she about it given what little we know? I highly recommend watching that video as it really explains it very well. But ultimately it would be foolish to say that her position did not change beceause of political reasons.
It is by definition foolish to make claims when you have no evidence.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's be honest, everything that Clinton does is politically oriented. I only, and I mean only like her because the demographic she panders to mirrors my beliefs

That said, she's a politician, so that is to be expected (as unfortunate as it is). The positive side of that is that she has to make good of her promises in some form or she won't get a second term

Reactions: Nightwish

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you really using snopes as a source?
The onion and buzzfeed are more accurate than that left wing propaganda tool.
[citation needed]

Yes, but what exactly about it did she dislike? Does she actually really like it, but pollsters told her that it would hurt her numbers to support it at the moment? I mean, it's not like trump is a choice, he's a buffoon, but we should try and keep hillary honest.

Last edited by osaka35,

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's be honest, everything that Clinton does is politically oriented. I only, and I mean only like her because the demographic she panders to mirrors my beliefs

That said, she's a politician, so that is to be expected (as unfortunate as it is). The positive side of that is that she has to make good of her promises in some form or she won't get a second term
She's going to make politically-oriented decisions, but that doesn't mean everything she does is politically-oriented, and that doesn't mean her opposition to the TPP is politically-oriented. I'm not saying her opposition to the TPP certainly isn't politically-oriented, but I can't tell one way or the other, and you're not privy to more information than I have. For now, her story on her opposition to the TPP checks out.

what is a TPP?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Pacific_Partnership

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regardless no matter what her positions are at least somewhat due to political support and in order to gain voters. That is the same with every politician as they all wisely take certain positions in order to help their political careers. Romney did it to get the GOP nom. Clinton did it too better appeal the the more progressive democrats. The list literally goes on forever of politicians who take positions for their political career.- Edit: I did not see your ninja post

Likewise the question is how much does this affect her decision? In the case of the TPP, the things that she cited as reasons that she was against the final version of the TPP were things that the earlier versions had as well such as the monetary affects and pharmaceutical patents. Regardless it is safe to say her change was politically motivated.

Reactions: I pwned U!

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what is a TPP?
The trans-pacific partnership. Basically a bunch of countries getting together to agree on trade (but not china). Many see it as pro-business and anti-consumer in its structure and desired effects. Whenever you see "economy", they can either mean "economy" or "big businesses". They use both interchangeably. They are very different things, though people continue to conflate them.

Last edited by osaka35,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: Can't forget me fr +1