Hardware Polishing 3ds 3d screen. I don't think this is right..

Sonia

Resident Bikini Gal
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to remove some lousy scratches that were made on my 3ds 3d screen before I had received it in the mail.
I think this is what they consider spotting? A-anyway... Is there any way I can fix this and get rid of those damned deep scratches? Experts, please answer. I need your help. :C

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always had great success with a decent wire brush.

There are some kiosks in some malls that offer cell phone/tablet/game console screen repair. I haven't found any methods of removing scratches at home, but, I never even turn on anything that has a screen before installing a screen protector, or, better yet, taking it to the GhostArmor kiosk near me.

If you're good with tools, it's super cheap to get a replacement screen. DealExtreme has tons of them for sale.

Sonia

Resident Bikini Gal
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always had great success with a decent wire brush.

There are some kiosks in some malls that offer cell phone/tablet/game console screen repair. I haven't found any methods of removing scratches at home, but, I never even turn on anything that has a screen before installing a screen protector, or, better yet, taking it to the GhostArmor kiosk near me.

If you're good with tools, it's super cheap to get a replacement screen. DealExtreme has tons of them for sale.

I'm no expert with tools. That's why I will not touch screen replacement with a ten foot pole.
(That and I've had very bad past experiences with that. My poor DSlite screen..) I bought some Displex and have been using that to polish the screen. Thus the spotting. I forgot to mention that in my... Desperation, I suppose. Anyways, I put more displex on it, got rid of the small scratches, but that big one... The one I can actually put my finger nail in, that one is still there, dammit. >:T

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Remember that the paralax barrier depends heavily on how light travels through the plastic side of the screen - if it's polished unevenly, you can and probably will distort the 3D effect. If you really want to do this, get some plastic polish like Displex - a wire brush sounds like screen suicide to me.

Sonia

Resident Bikini Gal
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me it is, I haven't been able to find it in any store I've been to.
Maybe it's easier for you living in the US.

Alright, thanks for that. Getting ready to head to the store with my dad, so maybe I'll be able to find it in stores like... Walmart or Office Depot. I hope so, anyways.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember that the paralax barrier depends heavily on how light travels through the plastic side of the screen - if it's polished unevenly, you can and probably will distort the 3D effect. If you really want to do this, get some plastic polish like Displex - a wire brush sounds like screen suicide to me.

I was totally not cereal about that. I hope that no one would be foolish enough to take a wire brush to any screen of any device.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I was totally not cereal about that. I hope that no one would be foolish enough to take a wire brush to any screen of any device.
Some people effectively use sandpaper or sanding film to polish screens, I figured that you might be suggesting a wirebrush to use it in a similar "abrasive" manner... :P

Reactions: Ozito

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I used to be one of the mods at NDS-ROMs before it went under, along with the rest of the Aussie Play Network, I would troll tweens on a level that earned me the title in my signature.

We convinced no fewer than a dozen people to microwave their flash cards. We called it a 'low radiation cache flash defrag'. Turns out, as long as you make something sound intelligent, you can convince stupid people to do damned near anything.

Sonia

Resident Bikini Gal
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have been using Displex, I've almost used up my whole $7 small 0, 175 oz. tube trying to get rid of that small deep scratch, but to no avail. Also, I've checked the 3d, it works fine, so I must be polishing it just fine. c:

Been using my old 100% cotton leggings as the cloth, but I'd much rather get a cotton cloth. XP

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I have been using Displex, I've almost used up my whole $7 small 0, 175 oz. tube trying to get rid of that small deep scratch, but to no avail. Also, I've checked the 3d, it works fine, so I must be polishing it just fine. c:

Been using my old 100% cotton leggings as the cloth, but I'd much rather get a cotton cloth. XP

If the scratch is so deep that you can put you fingernail it then maybe you should proceed carefully and not polish it all the way.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
When I used to be one of the mods at NDS-ROMs before it went under, along with the rest of the Aussie Play Network, I would troll tweens on a level that earned me the title in my signature.

We convinced no fewer than a dozen people to microwave their flash cards. We called it a 'low radiation cache flash defrag'. Turns out, as long as you make something sound intelligent, you can convince stupid people to do damned near anything.
Well, try to refrain from doing so around here when you can cause actual damage - trollololing is all fine and dandy until someone gets hurt. There's a difference between a practical joke and being an ass. ;)

Dueler

Trophies
Website
dueler.blogspot.com
XP
Country
So is this whole thread troll or is taking wire brushes to screens a thing now?

And the good old days on the NDS-ROMS shoutbox was a blast, it might sound evil but in all truthfulness there was a group of about 10-15 of us that were there constantly helping newcomers to the scene,
Every so often a complete jerk of a noob would come around demanding us to do things and answer them while talking shit, these were the people who we loved to mess with.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is this whole thread troll or is taking wire brushes to screens a thing now?

And the good old days on the NDS-ROMS shoutbox was a blast, it might sound evil but in all truthfulness there was a group of about 10-15 of us that were there constantly helping newcomers to the scene,
Every so often a complete jerk of a noob would come around demanding us to do things and answer them while talking shit, these were the people who we loved to mess with.

That is the only part of this thread that is trolling. I seriously hope no one is stupid enough to take a wire brush to a plastic screen, and expect it to do anything but destroy it.

bartimeaus91

Stanza Blot Burls Rocks. Meaningless? Maybe not.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is the only part of this thread that is trolling. I seriously hope no one is stupid enough to take a wire brush to a plastic screen, and expect it to do anything but destroy it.

Well, remember the microwave your iphone to charge it? Some people fell for it.

@OP consider getting a replacement shell, they might come with a replacement "plastic lens i.e. the screen that goes on top on the LCD". I know that DS Lite shells comes with it, not too sure about the 3DS XL though. But its something you could try.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kind of feel that if you are stupid enough to do something that destructive to one of your expensive electronic devices, based on the advice of one random person on one random forum on the internet, you pretty much deserve whatever the fruits of your stupidity are.

Darwin at his best.

Reactions: EMP Knightmare

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, hi