ROM Hack Pokémon Nova Sun & Umbra Moon: Fully-featured, challenging Sun/Moon ROMhacks!

Feythnin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate to bother everybody, but I am having an issue. I got the setup to run... once. I tried to play the game from the homebrew launcher and it just continuously puts me back at the home screen of the launcher.

I do not have access to Luma or SaltySD. I have played Rutile Ruby before, so I know it's not all hacks. Is there any other way to install this hack? Could I just do it the same way as rutile ruby with the romfsbuilder and extractor?

Any help would be appreciated and please don't just say unhelpful things like "y don't u have luma?" answer, I didn't know about it until after I was already on 11.4.

omegazeroINFI

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im thinking of playing through this on my capture o3ds. i just got one question. you recommend the leveled build. whats the difference between that and the expanded build? having access to everything sounds like what i would have recommended. am i missing something?

Rakidas

Gay Pirate Queen
Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure if this has been mentioned already (I check this thread from time to time :D) but will future updates have unique game IDs so that I can have V1.4, say, installed as 'base' S&M, and V1.whatever installed separately? I'm one of those weirdos who likes having lots of files on the go lol :P

skateredm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
How can i say my .CIA file of Pokemon Sun are a decrypted one to use with the "Nova Sun" hack?

Or simple can i use my .CIA with the "setup.bat" of the files you provide us?

Anyway, this hack seems interesting, thanks for the hard work.

Dio Vento

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im thinking of playing through this on my capture o3ds. i just got one question. you recommend the leveled build. whats the difference between that and the expanded build? having access to everything sounds like what i would have recommended. am i missing something?
If the expanded build sounds more fun to you, go for it.
Not sure if this has been mentioned already (I check this thread from time to time :D) but will future updates have unique game IDs so that I can have V1.4, say, installed as 'base' S&M, and V1.whatever installed separately? I'm one of those weirdos who likes having lots of files on the go lol :P
No. if you want to play base Sun or Moon "on the go" with Nova Sun or Umbra Moon, use the SaltySD build and back up your save file with JKSM then disable Luma's "game patching" until you want to play NS/UM again. If you created and installed a CIA of, say, NS/UM v1.3, you can use the latest SaltySD pack over the CIA install.
How can i say my .CIA file of Pokemon Sun are a decrypted one to use with the "Nova Sun" hack?

Or simple can i use my .CIA with the "setup.bat" of the files you provide us?

Anyway, this hack seems interesting, thanks for the hard work.
When you dump the cia from your legitimate cartridge or eshop copy (read: not a pirated CIA downloaded from the internet), Decrypt9 or Godmode9 will give you a decrypted CIA file.
I hate to bother everybody, but I am having an issue. I got the setup to run... once. I tried to play the game from the homebrew launcher and it just continuously puts me back at the home screen of the launcher.

I do not have access to Luma or SaltySD. I have played Rutile Ruby before, so I know it's not all hacks. Is there any other way to install this hack? Could I just do it the same way as rutile ruby with the romfsbuilder and extractor?

Any help would be appreciated and please don't just say unhelpful things like "y don't u have luma?" answer, I didn't know about it until after I was already on 11.4.
Yes, you can do it the same way with manually extracting and building your ROMFS, but doing it that way *shouldn't* be any different from using the included tools instead.

Last edited by Dio Vento,

skateredm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

When you dump the cia from your legitimate cartridge or eshop copy (read: not a pirated CIA downloaded from the internet), Decrypt9 or Godmode9 will give you a decrypted CIA file.

Ow, thats sad, means CIA of "that iso site" are useless for this hack then... Oh boy :(

Dio Vento

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ow, thats sad, means CIA of "that iso site" are useless for this hack then... Oh boy :(
If you have a 3DS that can run pirated CIAs, you have one that's compatible with the SaltySD/Drag and Drop packages. Update your Luma3DS install (if you use Gateway or RxTools, fucking stop, it's 2017 for Christ's sake) to the latest (7.0.4 as of the time I'm writing this), enable "game patching", then copy the drag and drop SaltySD package for the hack you want to play to your SD. When you run Sun or Moon with the files in place, it will instead be Nova Sun or Umbra Moon.

LukelZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the Expanded build, I'm having trouble finding Popplio in Melemele sea where it says I can encounter it. What's the encounter rate for Popplio there?

Feythnin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No. if you want to play base Sun or Moon "on the go" with Nova Sun or Umbra Moon, use the SaltySD build and back up your save file with JKSM then disable Luma's "game patching" until you want to play NS/UM again. If you created and installed a CIA of, say, NS/UM v1.3, you can use the latest SaltySD pack over the CIA install.

Yes, you can do it the same way with manually extracting and building your ROMFS, but doing it that way *shouldn't* be any different from using the included tools instead.

I'll try it anway. Would I just put the .code file in with the .romfs file again?

Dio Vento

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll try it anway. Would I just put the .code file in with the .romfs file again?
You could actually omit the .code entirely, if I remember correctly. Unlike RR/SS, there aren't important changes in code.bin and the only thing I use it for currently is implementing SaltySD.

Last edited by Dio Vento,

tehnoodnub

Trophies
XP
Country
Because I'm a glutton for punishment and love a challenge, I have been trying to Nuzlocke the expanded version of NS. I actually didn't believe the creator; I absolutely believed it would be possible. It's not. Not if you run a legitimate Nuzlocke anyway. The furthest I've made it is Verdant Cavern. I'm new to Pokemon ROM hacks so I'm not sure if this is indicative of the difficulty of many of them but this is brutal. I love it. One day I might make it off Melemele.

Thanks Dio Vento. I'm genuinely having a lot of fun getting my arse handed to me by random trainers.

Cha0tic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because I'm a glutton for punishment and love a challenge, I have been trying to Nuzlocke the expanded version of NS. I actually didn't believe the creator; I absolutely believed it would be possible. It's not. Not if you run a legitimate Nuzlocke anyway. The furthest I've made it is Verdant Cavern. I'm new to Pokemon ROM hacks so I'm not sure if this is indicative of the difficulty of many of them but this is brutal. I love it. One day I might make it off Melemele.

Thanks Dio Vento. I'm genuinely having a lot of fun getting my arse handed to me by random trainers.

Heck yeah its awesome! Every battle is tough and there are way to many times I barely survive.

Thanks Dio, found Og sun and moon way to easy. Especially after playing difficulty rom hacks.

PedroKeitawa

Trophies
Website
natsunokaze.altervista.org
XP
Country
Italy

Im back in buisness after the mistake to update to the latest STABILITY update from Nintendo....a little off topic: Nintendo if you are gonna make a update ADD SOMETHING! Anyway aside from that this episode feature fps drop, bad commentary and other technical issue....this is only the first island for arceus sake.

Feythnin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could actually omit the .code entirely, if I remember correctly. Unlike RR/SS, there aren't important changes in code.bin and the only thing I use it for currently is implementing SaltySD.
Would i call the .romfs file umoon.romfs?

Nvm. It worked, I mean, for some reason the main menu was in Japanese, but I changed the language to english when starting the new game. For some reason it only loads through hans though. The menu item just brings me back to the hbl

EDIT: I don't think it did work, it didn't say Umbra Moon when it passed over Lilly. Unless that is normal

Last edited by Feythnin,

Dio Vento

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would i call the .romfs file umoon.romfs?

Nvm. It worked, I mean, for some reason the main menu was in Japanese, but I changed the language to english when starting the new game. For some reason it only loads through hans though. The menu item just brings me back to the hbl

EDIT: I don't think it did work, it didn't say Umbra Moon when it passed over Lilly. Unless that is normal
That's normal, I don't know where that game logo file is. If you didn't run the "non-English.bat" included in the package, the title screen won't be edited either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So salty