Please suggest a method for free 100GB+ cloud storage

depaul

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you.
More information from: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/dropbox-wannabe-terabox-promising-1tb-free-storage-very-martin/
But I don't mind as long as they're just media files to be backup-ed (for free!).

"TeraBox Achieves 50M Global Downloads – BUT BUYER BEWARE

Errm – who is TeraBox? Despite their 50 million downloads, I had never heard of them, so their press release served purpose, getting more people aware of who they are. A dropbox wannabe, they differ from all the other cloud drive players because they offer 1TB of storage free. That's a lot of storage and probably part o the reason for the massive number of downloads, so is there a catch? Well, after digging around, I have found a few, and it comes back to my first question. Who is Terabox?

They are a Chinese company, and the service was originally called Dubox. Under this brand, they were known to use some questionable tactics. They refer to your data as "user material", which in practice means they can sell the data you upload to your terabox drive. They were also known to use a tactic where once you upload a lot of data, they start to bandwidth throttle your free account, at which point almost ransoming you to upgrade to premium.

When something is too good to be true, it usually is; in the case of Terabox free 1TB, you might be better off still settling for Google drives' free 15GB on"

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've added a few lines to my previous post.

Just created an account with one of my unimportant e-mail addresses.

They refer to your data as "user material", which in practice means they can sell the data you upload to your terabox drive.
Okay. go ahead. From their perspective all they will get from me is random data.
If I get my account terminated or banned for uploading "unusable" loads of data, nothing is lost for me.:)

you might be better off still settling for Google drives' free 15GB on"
Sorry, but no. I don't think Google will treat "user material" any different. Google's Terms of Service are a nightmare.
I wouldn't even trust those who promise "Zero Knowledge Approach" for online storage. No important data without local encryption.

They were also known to use a tactic where once you upload a lot of data, they start to bandwidth throttle your free account, at which point almost ransoming you to upgrade to premium.
We'll see. Again: If that happens nothing is lost.:)

The provider is not obliged to deliver full speed, full reliability and perfect service for not getting a penny. And if this was my only copy left of important data… well paying a bit of "ransom" (would not even go that far in wording) for the download should be no big deal (monthly package doesn't even look expensive).

VeraCrypt Container (1000GB, not 1024) is formatted and rsync is working right now. Once this is finished, I'll split the container in 251 parts and try uploading.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Online data storage solves the off-site problem for those poor souls without friends.

VeraCrypt? I wouldn't trust any "cloud" provider. Neither in privacy nor in reliability of service.

Is their storage formatted with FAT32 or what? (Joking:rofl2:)
Seriously: This is a speed bump, but it can be handled like you said.

===========
Terabox looks too good to be true, are there any risks in trying?
↓↓↓
To partially answer my own question: Login security looks underwhelming. Password length limited to 15 chars (WTF?), which makes KeePassXC estimate an entropy somewhere around 80 to 90 bits for a random password (without extended ASCII). This is probably on the lower end of complexity for withstanding bruteforce attacks… Given 56 bit DES was bruteforced end of the 1990s and can now be done at home with a single big NVIDIA.
Also: No OTP based 2FA.
It's a chinese provider, that apparently in their EULA whatever it's in china say THEY get to use ALL the data they wish.

Reactions: depaul

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I better over react and get all fussy for the lols