PlayStation VR gets permanent price drop

PRVRlede.w710.h473.png

If you've been wanting to join the VR bandwagon, you might be interested to know that PlayStation is lowering the cost of their VR headsets worldwide on March 29th (April 2nd for Australia and New Zealand). The RRP will be lowering from the original launch price of $399/€399 and will now cost $299/€299. This entry-level bundle will come with the PlayStation VR headset, along with the PlayStation Camera, and the pack-in VR game PlayStation VR Worlds. Two other bundles are following suit and dropping in price by $100, including the Doom VFR (comes with Doom VFR and a game demo disc as well, now for $299) and Skyrim VR (comes with Skyrim VR, a demo disc, and two PlayStation move controllers now for $349) bundles. PlayStation VR originally launched in October 2016, and now currently has over 300 games published on the platform.

:arrow: Source

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'll keep saying it. VR gaming is not the future. This just proves it... again.

I'll wait until it costs something like $50 USD. Won't pay anything more than that.

You might be right that it's not the future, but I don't see how a price drop proves it.

Can you explain how this provides any proof for your argument?

Reactions: KingVamp

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I'll keep saying it. VR gaming is not the future. This just proves it... again.

I'll wait until it costs something like $50 USD. Won't pay anything more than that.

It's only one step to the future. Bringing a full-fledged VR gaming experience might take a looooooong time.

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Such a shame that PSVR is a huge flop. No AAA titles except for those which came with release (which are not AAA either...). Sorry Skyrim VR is NOT a AAA title for me. It was one on 2011 before it was ported for all devices. I'm not buying it 4th time! (No upgrade possible for owners of the PS4 version)

I myself have also a PSVR and don't regret the purchase but the stressful game experience, even if it's very fun (>1hrs in one session is very tiring and exhausting [motions sickness, headaches and the headset is not very light in weight]) makes me playing it only on weekends. Playing it after work/college/uni is guaranteed to tire you out even more instead of relaxing like a classical session on your tv. My longest session was 4 hours and I felt very dizzy and needed a day to recover from it.

This price drop is sadly the answer for bad selling devices and a difficult concept.

Hopefully support will not drop before 2020...

Last edited by GothicIII,

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lame.... if it was 199 i would bite... guess i'll have to wait to black friday this year (SIGH)

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about the poor sucker who want to buy ps vr but already have the ps4 camera????

I didn't read about the PSVR before I bought it. I bought the stand alone version for $299 a few months back and it didn't come with a camera. I wasn't even aware it required one. So I had to go buy one and I still don't have the move controller wands. However, the PSVR is dope. I don't have a 3DTV so Littlestar has become one of my favorite apps and I recently bought Gran Turismo Sport, but haven't played it yet. Eve Valkyrie is also amazing. Anyone who says the PSVR doesn't have "AAA" games is like me and doesn't do research before saying so. Resident Evil 6 looks fun, but I'll have to wait until I get the move controllers to pick that one up. All in all it's freaking awesome. I also get motion sickness, but it seems to effect me only in certain games and in certain situations so if I avoid them I'm fine.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I also get motion sickness, but it seems to effect me only in certain games and in certain situations so if I avoid them I'm fine.

Better don't try RIGS. I got the Vive on release and got used to motion sickness to some degree, but I couldn't even complete the tutorial without feeling exhausted.

When you get your Move controllers, you should try Superhot VR. This was a great experience to me. Sadly, a rather short one, but still awesome.

Aside from that I can't really recommend PSVR to anyone who wants a more complete experience from it. The lack of roomscale tracking limits the experience a lot.

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're better off buying a Nintendo Switch.

Maybe when it has more games. I already have BOTW for WiiU and there really isn't anything else (except the new Xeno game) that interests me. I actually went to buy a Switch, but ended up with a PS4 and I think I made a good decision there.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Do any other games, other than the ones specifically designed for the PSVR, have the option of using the headset with head tracking?

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do any other games, other than the ones specifically designed for the PSVR, have the option of using the headset with head tracking?

Well, Gran Turismo Sport can be played without the PSVR as it's a stand alone game with a VR mode. I'm not sure about other games, but in "threatre" mode you get the game screen in a virtual plain and you can look around, but the game doesn't respond to the movement.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work