PlayStation Division Loses 2.8 billion Dollars

cris92x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is not Sony's fault. People are spending less with entertainment, Video Games are not the only affected industry, also they (Sony and Nintendo) developed many things on fiscal year of 2011.

When a company spends a lot with R&D and sell less than was expected, the result is not good. 2012 will be tough too, I think, but 2013 the expenses with R&D probably will decrease (PS4 and WiiU will be released until 2013, right?), and I hope to see VG industry selling a lot.

EDIT: Android and iOS will not kill "regular" gaming yet. I saw many gamers saying that, but I don't see Nintendo or Sony blaming mobile gaming.
It is sony's fault. When was the last time you bought a walkman? They have not been as technologically innovative as they could have. Tv's are a crap business, small profit margin for all companies but sony has fallen behind here, sony has some great cameras and camrecorders but the average person doesn't buy them anymore when you already have a smartphone that will produce decent results. Honestly the problem with sony as a whole is that they still had this mentality that everything we do will sell, maybe in the 80s this worked but times have changed. As a whole they just need to cut down everywhere and focus on making something that everyone will want. They can do it, they invented the amazing walkman and they still have the resources to come up with their next big innovation.

Reactions: 1 person

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Lots of R&D costs, quite a few people already have the consoles, PSVita still quite new (smallish game library), etc. It's kinda hard to pinpoint the exact reason for the losses. Hopefully they get their game going. So far I have yet to be let down by the Sony consoles I own (early adoption isn't really that good an idea on the long run nowadays.. Just like the 3DS has shown (reason why I don't have a PSV either))...

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
It is sony's fault. When was the last time you bought a walkman? They have not been as technologically innovative as they could have. Tv's are a crap business, small profit margin for all companies but sony has fallen behind here, sony has some great cameras and camrecorders but the average person doesn't buy them anymore when you already have a smartphone that will produce decent results. Honestly the problem with sony as a whole is that they still had this mentality that everything we do will sell, maybe in the 80s this worked but times have changed. As a whole they just need to cut down everywhere and focus on making something that everyone will want. They can do it, they invented the amazing walkman and they still have the resources to come up with their next big innovation.

I agree to almost everything you said, Sony was more innovative 10, 15 years ago then it is now, it is a sad fact, but I still think that 2011 was not a simple year for video game industry.

Just to add a point on what you said, Sony made tons of money with machines that allowed people to pirate (music and video), now they do everything they can to prevent people to copy things. Ironically they are less strong now.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not a huge suprise - they just released a new console despite many unfortunate circumstances. The floods, recession, R&D costs of the Vita and more than likely the PS4 all stack up to a loss, but once R&D of the PS4 is complete and the Vita sales kick off, they will be back on track. This isn't an unusual situation, really.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that news certainly isn't encouraging. I hope that Sony can manage to bounce back from this; while my primary console of choice is the 360, keeping the "console war" a three man race keeps it interesting and varied.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
As much as I dislike Sony I would like them to stick around for a little while longer. I'm still planning on buying a PS3 and I haven't tried the Vita yet.

HamburgerBandit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony is the new Sega. And I practically choked back tears reading this article. The world I grew up in is gone. The playstation brand is dead.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sony is the new Sega. And I practically choked back tears reading this article. The world I grew up in is gone. The playstation brand is dead.
You don't have to pretend, everybody knows you're a Sony Hater.

NfUPQ.png

Sony's slowly bouncing back - they had a rough time due to the release of the Vita, but just you wait and see, they'll be back in the game sooner than you expect.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
You sure? I know a lot, and I mean a lot of people who loved PS1 and 2 era Sony. They're a different beast now

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You sure? I know a lot, and I mean a lot of people who loved PS1 and 2 era Sony. They're a different beast now
Never have I seen HamburgerBandit utter a single positive comment about Sony, be it in regard to their current ventures or those of the past. He's a typical Valwinner for no reason at all, that much I can tell. He's just slightly less vocal and has a tad better grammar.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
If I am bored I will look deeper into it (I would not argue against company screwups but I have to wonder if this is also a bit of accounting trickery- you can carry losses forward and other such fun things) but interesting- Sony's financial woes have been fairly plain to see but their games division seems to have been held up a bit higher than their other departments that build mass market consumer goods and deal in IP.

Personally if it carries on this way maybe it is time for the unified console.

the idea of a unified console is amazing!. but that will only happen when the companies are ready to shed their EGO!
no, the only way this would happen is if some modder decides to make a Yoshi's Box and market it.

D

Deleted-188346

Personally if it carries on this way maybe it is time for the unified console.
Both Sony and Microsofts gaming divisions are bleeding money. From Jan-Mar the entertainment and devices division of Microsoft bled $229 million, or from Jul 2011-Mar 2012 they bled $627 million. Nintendo doesn't need them. However, Microsoft will always be a competitor due to their other divisions keeping the 360 afloat.

You might think "hey, isn't Nintendo losing money right now?", and yes, that is true. However, Nintendo are in a transitional phase right now. They haven't released the Wii U yet (and recouped the R&D costs), yet it's close enough for the Wii to be seeing falling sales and loss of developer/publisher interest. The 3DS is nearly on its feet and is very close to being sold at a profit again too.

Oh, and of course, Nintendo has enough money to theoretically last over 37.9 years with the same repeated losses from the last yearly report (total asset value / net income loss).

Given Nintendos track record of repeated profit, I somehow don't think that the latest loss will be a trend, unlike the competition (at least their gaming divisions).

HamburgerBandit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never have I seen HamburgerBandit utter a single positive comment about Sony, be it in regard to their current ventures or those of the past. He's a typical Valwinner for no reason at all, that much I can tell. He's just slightly less vocal and has a tad better grammar.

You are a stalker and a mentally unbalanced fanboy. You are a big part of the reason why Sony failed this generation. Its the fanbase that killed the brand. That's why the opponents of Sony created things like the SDF. They knew about the problems with the fanbase and they played on them the entire generation. So whenever you see a topic that talks about the failure of Sony, blame yourself.

And lol @ the fact that you believe VGchartz numbers are real. That just proves that you are a desperate fanboy. See kid, real gamers don't care about sales or brand names. They care about playing games, no matter what the hardware and no matter how much it sells. Just because the PS3 is in last place doesn't make it a bad console. Just because Vita is a sales disaster, that doesn't mean its inferior hardware. Quite the opposite really. I see the Vita as the new Dreamcast. Superior to the competition but doomed in sales.

Reactions: 2 people

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You are a stalker and a mentally unbalanced fanboy. You are a big part of the reason why Sony failed this generation. Its the fanbase that killed the brand. That's why the opponents of Sony created things like the SDF. They knew about the problems with the fanbase and they played on them the entire generation. So whenever you see a topic that talks about the failure of Sony, blame yourself.

And lol @ the fact that you believe VGchartz numbers are real. That just proves that you are a desperate fanboy. See kid, real gamers don't care about sales or brand names. They care about playing games, no matter what the hardware and no matter how much it sells. Just because the PS3 is in last place doesn't make it a bad console. Just because Vita is a sales disaster, that doesn't mean its inferior hardware. Quite the opposite really. I see the Vita as the new Dreamcast. Superior to the competition but doomed in sales.
Fanboy? You should see some of his posts. Foxi4 is no fanboy. He sees the good and bad.

HamburgerBandit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Fanboy? You should see some of his posts. Foxi4 is no fanboy. He sees the good and bad.

I didn't even know who he was until I read this topic. After reading his post history I can clearly see that he's appointed himself the one man SDF of this forum. Its just embarassing.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I didn't even know who he was until I read this topic. After reading his post history I can clearly see that he's appointed himself the one man SDF of this forum. Its just embarassing.
It's kinda funny how you seen to act superior to people in this thread...
And whats a SDF?
EDIT: Nevermind, it's the Sony Defense Force. That makes me laugh. AT you
You seen to imply that you are the superior one here.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nice. :) I don't have time for this. Objectivity is not fanboyism, get real.

*carries on playing on his Wii*

EDIT: Don't bother AceWarhead, I really don't need air support - my position on GBATemp is well-established. If someone misreads my posts as faboyism then clearly it's a matter of mental capacity and capabilities. I'm pretty entertained by the fact that people label me as a Sony fanboy despite the fact that I've never bought a Sony console new - every single Sony console I own is a donation for my collection in this form or another. But let HamburgerBandit be, I'm not particularily bothered by him or his Valwin Army friends.

Reactions: 3 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Objectivity? :lol:

Disproven by your own embarassing post history.
Show me, but via PM. You're trashing the thread, we don't need this here. Get on-topic or get out.

HamburgerBandit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

HamburgerBandit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Show me, but via PM. You're trashing the thread, we don't need this here. Get on-topic or get out.

Get on topic? Sure. So how about those billion dollar losses?

What people don't understand is that Sony has been behind the gun before in its long history. They just need to make some drastic changes. Getting rid of that idiot Howard Stringer was a good start. Now all Kaz has to do is keep his eye on the prize. Focus on the company strengths.

Like I said in another topic, everything rides on the success of the PS3 and the Vita.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock