Microsoft in Talks to Buy Discord for More Than $10 Billion

D

Deleted User

Microsoft buying Discord is many times better - or rather, should I clarify, less bad - than Amazon, or Google, or Facebook buying Discord. So yeah, sure, do it, I don't care.
If anyone's gonna buy them up - and I'm positive it will happen eventually - I think Microsoft would be the... well, the least bad large corporation to do it.
I honestly wonder how many people would be ready to switch over if Facebook or Tencent comes to buy it, as in the same scenario that happened with the recent Whatsapp changes and people hopping over to Telegram/Signal.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Vila_

Spanish code for Spanisher codecs
OP
Trophies
Website
vilagamer999.github.io
XP
Country
Spain
Honestly people had a similar reaction when microsoft bought Minecraft, overall they didn’t do a bad job, yes they did have some blunders (*cough cough* minecoins) but apart from those Minecraft is still amazing as it was before. If any company wants to buy discord I’d really rather have them than any other company out there...

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly wonder how many people would be ready to switch over if Facebook or Tencent comes to buy it, as in the same scenario that happened with the recent Whatsapp changes and people hopping over to Telegram/Signal.
Yeah, if one of those two bought it, I'm sure there'd be a not-unreasonable amount of people ditching it.
Honestly people had a similar reaction when microsoft bought Minecraft, overall they didn’t do a bad job, yes they did have some blunders (*cough cough* minecoins) but apart from those Minecraft is still amazing as it was before. If any company wants to buy discord I’d really rather have them than any other company out there...
Can't lie, that's my train of thought too. A lot of people point to Skype and Mixer as blunders, but I feel those are different circumstances - Skype was ten years ago, Mixer wasn't succeeding pre-Microsoft so it's death isn't quite as much Microsoft's fault. Minecraft's been handled rather well, and I haven't heard too much bad about, say, Github.
Microsoft seems the most likely not to fiddle and tamper with what makes Discord, well, Discord - and they might be able to make it tie into Xbox more, which'd frankly be cool as heck. Nitro with Game Pass and console Discord integration wouldn't be shabby at all.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Discordapp is semi-chinese,semi-american globally international corporate text and voice chatting software.

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please no. Whether it's Microsoft or some other big company, I really hope Discord does not sell. If it does it will inevitably be ruined by terrible monetization strategies and everyone will need to find a new start-up chat program to flock to. I'm happy enough with Discord that I don't want to do that again...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Many things

1) Ew Discord.

2) Hahaha Microsoft will ride them into the scene of the crash and... it probably won't be that spectacular as everybody will have left and it will join teamspeak, ventrillo, mumble and all the other cool kid chat programs on the corpse pile.

What I am more here to ponder though
"Discord is still in growth phase"

That is a bold claim to be making. I imagine they wish they were and have to pretend to be for the cameras but I find that a very dubious claim.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Damn, what's with all these big companies buying all good services/companies/ideas an turning them into something not even my stomach can make any better? -or worse- depending on your perspective.

Vila_

Spanish code for Spanisher codecs
OP
Trophies
Website
vilagamer999.github.io
XP
Country
Spain
Oh no...
ohnoms.png

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm did not expect them to slow play it like that.

I would have thought the usual feelers sent out by way of "rumours say are in talks" and then either nothing or proceed at pace (or as much at pace as these sorts of things go, which with Discord being private does change a few things).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2::rofl2: