Play GBA Roms with Slot 2 support?

LanHikariDS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking for something kind of specific that I can't seem to find, but are there any methods of running GBA ROMs on a DS that allow the game to access hardware for cartridges in Slot 2? I forget the actual proper term for them, but specifically referring to "special" GBA carts like Drill Dozer, Yoshi Topsy-Turvy, WarioWare Twisted etc.

In my specific use case, I would like to play the Boktai 3 translation patch through a DS Flash Cart, and have it use the Solar Sensor from my real Boktai cartridges. It's definitely possible, considering there are retail DS games that can access the hardware features from these carts, but have any GBA loaders been set up for it?

Last edited by LanHikariDS,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Any DS game can speak to the GBA slot, and if it is an original cartridge in there rather than a flash cart then even easier (most flash carts make this harder both having to present the game in the first place and possibly also altering the save type from the original game such that DS games reading the GBA save or gamecube link reading the save come at it speaking say EEPROM when the flash cart only has SRAM of a specific type).

What you describe is closer to a DS slot/DS mode GBA emulator that can speak to the GBA slot (which might be at an odd angle as well for a solar sensor but maybe you can lay on your back pointing at the sky/cheat with a desk lamp).
There is a proof of concept DS mode GBA emulator but it is proof of concept and likely always will be. https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbarunner2.451970/
I do not know offhand if the ones for the likes of the DSTwo (now very hard to get. So called enhanced flash carts have CPUs onboard which can be used to do emulation at levels the baseline DS can not hope to manage) will speak to the GBA slot that nicely. https://gbatemp.net/threads/tempgba-ndsgba-revival.343210/

No GBA slot flash cart is ever likely to get a solar sensor (there are what three games plus the DS one that can use it) so that leaves three main options.
1) You find some kind of compatible ROM chip and convert an existing game to it.
2) You do your own single game flash cart but make a sensor for it.
3) https://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#gbacartsolarsensor covers how it works. Assuming the GBA slot can handle the draw (or you otherwise work around that -- extra power or clipping pins on an original boktai cart to reduce its load) you might be able to suitably modify one of those X in 1 cartridge swappers to speak to the sensor whilst also running a flash cart.

LanHikariDS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(which might be at an odd angle as well for a solar sensor but maybe you can lay on your back pointing at the sky/cheat with a desk lamp).
The DS' Slot 2 isn't at any different a position than the GBA SP, so this doesn't make much sense. In fact, the sensor works slightly better on a DS Lite, since the cart sticks out further, so the system is less likely to cast a shadow over the sensor than a GBA SP.
No GBA slot flash cart is ever likely to get a solar sensor
There is one from InsideGadgets, but it's been out of stock for a few years. I figured I'd ask about this as a backup, in the event they don't restock them, since it seems likely that I'll be beating Boktai 2 before that happens. https://shop.insidegadgets.com/product/gba-16mb-64k-eeprom-solar-rtc-flash-cart/

Regardless, I've never done anything in the ways of engineering, so I dunno if making my own cart is feasible, unfortunately :unsure:
But I appreciate the suggestions, at least for the sake of covering all the bases.

EDIT: As I was finding the InsideGadgets page, I've only just noticed that they updated the page with a new price, maybe they'll be restocking soon?

Last edited by LanHikariDS,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol