Piracy is on the rise, according to UK study

yaerr.png

More people continue to turn to piracy, a trend that has been growing since 2020, according to piracy tracker MUSO. With the advent of more streaming services than ever, online media consumers are pirating dramatically more, especially when it comes to film and publishing. Piracy is on the rise in all categories, which include TV, film, publishing, music, and software, with an increase of 20% over last year. Film piracy is up by a whopping 47%, with publishing-related piracy up by almost 40%, while TV and software both went up by about 10% each. Piracy of music saw the lowest growth, of less than 5%, but an increase nonetheless.

MUSO measured a variety of statistics, comparing illegal streaming sites versus illegal download sites. Overall, 54% of all piracy-related traffic goes toward streaming sites, while the rest is to torrent and download sites. A whopping 95.1% of pirated TV content is streamed, rather than downloaded, while the split is more even when it comes to film or music. According to the numbers, over 60% of traffic is direct, and only 28% comes from Google, or other search engine results. Most piracy occurs in the United States which has a moderate lead over the rest of the world, with Russia, India, and China following behind.

Prior to 2020, piracy traffic did not have such large growths, and in the 2010s, even saw a decline in most countries.

:arrow: Source

Gamerjin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do get the games digitally. however, i also understand that companies do need to survive to make more stuff. in that regard, i do get the physical or steam version (if its available) shortly after IF i like the game.

(btw i have over 1.81 TB of games, updates, and DLC on a "backup hard drive")

UnderJinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Right now im replacing all games from my shooter folders with Fitgirl-repacks
Running out of space on my external with all
that pirated material
Post automatically merged:

Anti piracy group please dont read my previous post 😁

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so here's my take on that....

Piracy is on the rise for many reasons. One, the pandemic. Boredom makes people do stupid things, and a lot of people did all kinds of stupid stuff because they weren't allowed to interact with each other. Some of it even caused death to the individuals! It caused a lot of harm to everyone who was forced to social distance - to this day, I still believe it was a political scandal.

Second, the shift towards streaming everything. As I've stated before, people want to own content, and with companies going away from buying content to download and keep, and moving towards subscription models where content you want may become unavailable, this has led to people trying to capture streaming content and sharing it with others as sort of a protest.

Also, the pricing. Subscriptions and even downloadable content are becoming more expensive as life goes on, and piraters don't want to pay such incredibly high prices just to watch movies or play games. So, they try to get it for free, any way they can.

Finally, war. What is it good for? Well, apparently, pirating! Russians were shocked when major companies from all over the world pulled their services out from the country due to the country's military attacking Ukraine - including major media outlets and game developers. So, what did they do? They decided to pirate, and at least temporarily, pirating of some content even became legal. Even before the attack, there were many pirates in Russia, and now it's gotten even worse. Can't say I blame them, really, considering what's been going on.

Until these issues work themselves out (if they ever do), pirating will continue to rise, and it may get so bad that companies will have to start taking matters into their own hands. There could be more arrests and more DRM, but IMHO that fixes nothing.

Reactions: mrgone

Chris_Dai_Gyakuten_Saiban

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You see, this doesn't come as a surprise, with the games and other digital services getting expensive, doesn't it make you wonder if the companies should do something to make the prices reasonable be a little less greedy to curb a bit of the piracy no? I mean not everyone could justify a 70 or even 100-dollar purchase on just one game and dlcs and all that.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

donaldgx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
will never spend higher than $20 for games even if current gen. have no trouble sticking to pirated retro consoles/games.

as for series, idgaf.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
This is my typical piracy stuff....

Music:
Modded Deezer, Spotify apps + Deemix for downloading flac/mp3's with hacked account.

Streaming Movies/TV on Nvidia Shield TV -
Modded Magellan TV, Filmplus, BeetV, Stremio, IPTV, CinemaHD, YoutubeVanced/Smart Tube

Shared Streaming from Friends Accounts
Netflix/Amazon Prime

Games:
Modded Switch, PS4, PS3, PS2, PS Viva, PSP, Xbox, Xbox360, PC,Nvidia Shield TV and many others....

Live TV - Modded Sat System
Vu+ uno 4k se - loads of free Sat TV channels such as movies etc, a few non public apps with hacked plex servers and other non public stuff.

There's no way I'm paying for stuff - been a pirate all my life and will be the same until I die.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Shocking thread this... all of you openly admitting to piracy, yet poor Mr Netflix/Apple/Amazon exec is presumably once again travelling home in the rain, on a bicycle with a wonky wheel, crying tears of poverty, and feeding his kids a slice of toast each for dinner coz they've got no money for anything else - you should all be fukkin ashamed.....:angry:

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need a study to know that piracy has run rampant for years. It may be 'on the rise' but it's been a large problem for the music, film, and gaming industries for decades at this point. Yet the people that make these things still make bank, so it's hard for me to feel too bad for them, at this point, I'm sure most of those people just automatically factor in piracy on their outlook on how well they think their media will sell and perform.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol