Hacking Hardware Picofly: Whining noise, Blue then Yellow blinks

alucardx2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I bought a premade picofly called "new2040plus". Then I saw a couple of videos on how to solder, practiced on something else and felt more confident so I attempted an installation but I'm clearly not there. This is an old patched v1 that I had laying around.

When turning it on, the switch starts making a high pitch whining noise (that sounds like the typical cartoon sound of something falling down), meanwhile the picofly blinks blue, then blinks yellow twice (I feel the second yellow blink is just a tiny bit longer than the first), it repeats this yellow blinking pattern twice, then stops blinking, but the whining sound is still there unless I force shut it down. Nothing on screen.

Any tips/recommendations on how to fix it?
Took a couple of pictures with my phone, moving a light source around to help with the visual.

IMG_8390.JPG
IMG_8393.JPG
IMG_8394.JPG
IMG_8395.JPG
68975eb74093b14f88b9c0128a91.jpeg

Blavla

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I bought a premade picofly called "new2040plus". Then I saw a couple of videos on how to solder, practiced on something else and felt more confident so I attempted an installation but I'm clearly not there. This is an old patched v1 that I had laying around.

When turning it on, the switch starts making a high pitch whining noise (that sounds like the typical cartoon sound of something falling down), meanwhile the picofly blinks blue, then blinks yellow twice (I feel the second yellow blink is just a tiny bit longer than the first), it repeats this yellow blinking pattern twice, then stops blinking, but the whining sound is still there unless I force shut it down. Nothing on screen.

Any tips/recommendations on how to fix it?
Took a couple of pictures with my phone, moving a light source around to help with the visual.

View attachment 395731View attachment 395732View attachment 395733View attachment 395734View attachment 395735
This is a joke right ? :D
Very cold soldering , flux not used , bad solder wire.
Those caps are bridged, you should not turn it on like that. :teach:
I repaired a similar bad soldering for someone a few days ago.

If you want write me in PM

Last edited by Blavla,
Reactions: alucardx2

alucardx2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
This is a joke right ? :D
Very cold soldering , flux not used , bad solder wire.
Those caps are bridged, you should not turn it on like that. :teach:
I repaired a similar bad soldering for someone a few days ago.

If you want write me in PM
Sadly I'm not from the US and sending my console would be far too expensive. I had this Switch laying around, it has scratches all over the screen and I honestly just wanted to sacrifice it and learn.

Thanks for the feedback, I used flux but maybe I should have applied much more. The solder wire I'm using is 0.8mm (lead free), is it maybe too thick? I started with 300º C, but it took way too long for it to melt, it almost didn't melt so I raised the temp of the iron to around 350 - 400, I experienced oxidation and made a total mess, then used a desoldering pump but couldn't take much out (I took the pictures after this).

If I bridged SP1 and the cap that is next to it, is this too bad? did this bridge fried the whole thing?
And what do you recommend to remove the soldering?

Last edited by alucardx2,

Blavla

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sadly I'm not from the US and sending my console would be far too expensive. I had this Switch laying around, it has scratches all over the screen and I honestly just wanted to sacrifice it and learn.

Thanks for the feedback, I used flux but maybe I should have applied much more. The solder wire I'm using is 0.8mm (lead free), is it maybe too thick? I started with 300º C, but it took way too long for it to melt, it almost didn't melt so I raised the temp of the iron to around 350 - 400, I experienced oxidation and made a total mess, then used a desoldering pump but couldn't take much out (I took the pictures after this).

If I bridged SP1 and the cap that is next to it, is this too bad? did this bridge fried the whole thing?
And what do you recommend to remove the soldering?
I am not from Usa, not even near ☝️🤣.
To remove some of the soldering you would need to clean the old flux with alcohol , put some new on it and suck the solder with help of solder wick

m0rf3o

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I found this thread about this chip, it's the same as mine but I'm having problems. Could I take advantage of this thread to express my doubts here? or do I open another thread? thank you 🙏🙏🙏

alucardx2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I found this thread about this chip, it's the same as mine but I'm having problems. Could I take advantage of this thread to express my doubts here? or do I open another thread? thank you 🙏🙏🙏
use this one, it's fine

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
preferable a new one if it's different

Reactions: m0rf3o

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one