Gaming Hardware Weird Pc Noises

rantex92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So today i wanted to play soul reaver 2 tried pcsx wasnt a great experience so i installed the pc version wich is known to not work on new HW
used dgvoodoo and dxwrapper in combination to get it working played about 5 min but then i started to notice a weird screeching noise from my pc (could be coil whining) closed the game noise was gone startet the game again noise came back i noticed something else the sound would change in pitch depending on what i do in the game (moving ,looking around,cutscenes) anybody an idea? how to fix it or is it safe just to play? oh and i should mention i get these noises only when i play this game other game works fine

edit: its definetly the dxwrapper

Last edited by rantex92,

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
try crysis pc, if that generates the same noise it's just your cooling system that kicks in, it could be you've got a first batch Geforce 30## and it tries to get the turbo running.
this is not good, since the caps on the power filter ain't done right.
if it's a splash/steamy sound, your liquid cooling might leak.
in the old days it could've been bad coils or bat socket connections.
you should get worried if it sound like electronic ignition.

rantex92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
thanks for your replies its definetly not my cooling (got 2 custom loops build the whole pc myself about a year ago) the culprit is dxwrapper it f**** too much with newer nvidia gpus like rtx20/30 series

BinaryGears

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking coil whine as soon as I saw the post. My GPU does it with certain games, even when there is not an issue with heat. If you wanted to see a little more information you could use open hardware monitor; open hardware monitor is an open source project on GitHub. It can tell you about the heat and voltage, if I remember correctly, for your CPU and GPU.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I need shrooms to read his comments