Homebrew Question Pico-8 via LayeredFS?

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Celeste includes a port of the original Pico-8 version with the Switch release. Has anyone poked around in there to see if it's rewritten from scratch or still running on a ported Pico-8? Presumably with LayeredFS rapidly taking off that'd make launching other Pico-8 games possible.

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
It looks like a full blown pico-8 emulator or port to me. Can this be looked at by someone with more filesystem knowledge? Maybe it can be hacked with Edizon to allow us to run other pico-8 carts?

Reactions: Deleted User

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
AFAIK the pico-8 author allowed the engine to be used in the game, so it's an official port. e: I'm wrong, see next post :)

Regarding using it to play other pico-8 games, I didn't get any clues from the romfs, so someone smarter than me probably needs to figure it out from the executable.

Last edited by hippy dave,

Supergrom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure about how the pico 8 version was included in the commercial celeste release. I thought I remember hearing that they just ported it to whatever engine they built the commercial game in, but I can't find a source for that now.

If you're interested though, I've started porting PicoLove (a Pico 8 player for Love2d) to LovePotion (TurtleP's Love2d port for Switch), and celeste classic is playable on it as of right now. Haven't made a proper release yet though, and there are plenty of incompatibilities with other carts.

The repo is on Github if you search for "picolovepotion". Unfortunately, I can't post a link because I'm a brand new member.

EDIT: Celeste classic was indeed ported. Found the source in the Reddit AMA that they did: (but once again, can't post a link...)

The code for the original PICO-8 was only about 2000 lines I think, so I just went line-by-line and converted the LUA into C#, adding wrapper methods for the PICO-8 functionality. It was only about a day of work.

Also yeah, I love prototyping and experimenting in small engines like PICO-8. Obviously for certain types of games it wont work, but in general it's fun and can often help you figure out if an idea feels good or not.​

Last edited by Supergrom,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure about how the pico 8 version was included in the commercial celeste release. I thought I remember hearing that they just ported it to whatever engine they built the commercial game in, but I can't find a source for that now.

If you're interested though, I've started porting PicoLove (a Pico 8 player for Love2d) to LovePotion (TurtleP's Love2d port for Switch), and celeste classic is playable on it as of right now. Haven't made a proper release yet though, and there are plenty of incompatibilities with other carts.

The repo is on Github if you search for "picolovepotion". Unfortunately, I can't post a link because I'm a brand new member.
Sounds good! Link: https://github.com/jtothebell/picolovepotion

Reactions: Supergrom

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
I see. Well the controls will also be an issue for some games. AFAIK many pico-8 games assume a keyboard is present. So different games map controls to different keyboard keys.

IMO this was a really big oversight in the pico-8 specs: it assumes there's always a full keyboard available.

Also pico-8 is closed source. So if we want 100% compatibility we have to wait until the original author decides to port it. Which is probably never, judging by the state of the Android port.

Last edited by rsn8887,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright