Philips wants to ban Wii and Wii U in America

ResleyZ

Swiggity swaggity swooty, I love my own booty
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As they should, because Phillips is a company that need to be taught a lesson to not screw around.

I don't really understand your hate for Philips. I've heard nothing bad about them from people I know, and I have a good experience with their products and customer service.

Can you please explain why you want Philips to fail so badly?

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really understand your hate for Philips. I've heard nothing bad about them from people I know, and I have a good experience with their products and customer service.

Can you please explain why you want Philips to fail so badly?

Their entire attitude, their hellbent stance on wanting to ban a console in only the US. Damages I can see and could be justified, but banning a console in one country and only one country is unreasonable and absurd. The entire patent system is broken/FUBAR and easily abused in the US, that some company has the audacity to throw a claim with such ambiguity that can be interpreted as practically anything. The fact that they want to kill off the Wii U from ever succeeding. Yes, their patent may or may not have been violated, no one really knows for certain, because of how vague said patent is. Their TVs are of very poor quality, anyone can look this up, hell, they don't even make them in-house but outsource the TVs with only the Phillips name, so they're even poorer quality. Summary: Phillips is just another one of many who try to get some of the profits from Nintendo despite never having used said patents and decides to troll anyone who uses it. Patent trolling is a very childish way to react, and the fact they waited this long is just asinine. Tl;dr - They clearly have their panties in a bunch.

They way they're handling this is the reason I despise them, their consumer line of products are meh at best.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not that I needed any extra reason but remind me not to hire many of the GBAtemp membership should I need people versed in the IP system. Such vitriol about.. not nothing but something that is "how it works in the real world".

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Their entire attitude, their hellbent stance on wanting to ban a console in only the US. Damages I can see and could be justified, but banning a console in one country and only one country is unreasonable and absurd.
This comes up every time there's a large lawsuit with large demands. It's a bargaining strategy, the starting position from which to haggle, they start off demanding a total ban and then settle for some sum in damages (or a percentage of the profit, but in this case a fixed fee would be a safer bet :tpi: ). It is common practice to start with an exaggerated penalty to leave yourself room to maneuver. As for why they are doing it in only one country, as I said before, I assume it's because only that country's patent office made it possible.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE

Nintendo's Wii infringes on Philips' remote control patents, UK court rules

Nintendo’s Wii and Wii U game consoles infringe two Philips remote control patents, the England and Wales High Court ruled Friday.

Philips sued Nintendo in 2012, alleging the game consoles infringed three of its remote control patents. The court found one of those patents invalid, but ruled that the game consoles infringed amended versions of the other two patents.

..The company also sued Nintendo over the same patents in Germany in 2012, in France in 2013 and last month in the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware. In the latter case, Philips is seeking a ban on U.S. imports and sales of Wii and Wii U consoles. Those three cases are still pending.

The plot thickens.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Selling your own products don't work? Time to sue others!
I'm not a huge fan of such lawsuits since the idea of a "remote" has been around for way too long to even consider it an "original" idea, but...

g1c1jEI.png

Yeah...

T Link7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Selling your own products don't work? Time to sue others!

I thought Philips was doing alright? I also love how many Nintendo fans are instantly demonizing Philips for this... so childish >.< Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Nintendo fan myself :P And my God, the amount of ''jokes'' involving the CDi games is astounding... real original, guys...

....DON'T LOOK AT MY LOCATION. :ph34r:

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really?! Are they still upset because the CD-i flopped and because Nintendo backed out of the SNES CD expansion deal? :)

I'm thinking if Phillips has such a moral and ethical stance about "money lost" then perhaps they should not have moved their factories down to Mexico and left my father and many others hanging.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I thought Philips was doing alright? I also love how many Nintendo fans are instantly demonizing Philips for this... so childish >.< Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Nintendo fan myself :P And my God, the amount of ''jokes'' involving the CDi games is astounding... real original, guys...

It's the truth in US, people would rather sue others to gain money than to work for money.

Somehow Philips forgot about the PS Eye, Kinect and all the others out there.

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just a question, did Philips use the patent content(Controlling things via controller movement) in any product?
It's the truth in US, people would rather sue others to gain money than to work for money.

Somehow Philips forgot about the PS Eye, Kinect and all the others out there.
tbh I think Philips is going after Ninty first because they(Wii and WiiU) are "weak" in sales(Well, not the Wii, but it isn't selling anymore now because newgen), there isn't a big impact if they win or lose, if they win, I am sure they will sue Sony or MS on a later date.

Gaming4Ever

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MuthaF*ck Philips up their Cheap Produced pieces of trash they call products :tpi:

They will always have a hateful place in my heart for soiling the Nin10doh brand with that abomination of CD-I garbage they tried to pull back in the day.....why couldn't they have gone outta business by now being only a memory of useless-ness forever.......

war2thegrave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a question, did Philips use the patent content(Controlling things via controller movement) in any product?

tbh I think Philips is going after Ninty first because they(Wii and WiiU) are "weak" in sales(Well, not the Wii, but it isn't selling anymore now because newgen), there isn't a big impact if they win or lose, if they win, I am sure they will sue Sony or MS on a later date.

It's more probable that microsoft and sony had licensed the technology from phillips.

MuthaF*ck Philips up their Cheap Produced pieces of trash they call products :tpi:

They will always have a hateful place in my heart for soiling the Nin10doh brand with that abomination of CD-I garbage they tried to pull back in the day.....why couldn't they have gone outta business by now being only a memory of useless-ness forever.......

In reality, it was nintendo who soiled their own brand.
It doesn't matter who made the games, if nintendo hadn't approved, the games wouldn't have existed.
Nintendo reviewed the games before release and said "Ok, that looks good enough".

Reactions: T Link7

TheCasketMan

Keyblade Apprentice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You are are right T Link7, they are still butthurt.

TheCasketMan

Keyblade Apprentice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It hurts because i actually care for the Games,Developers and Gamers that love this Medium so much and don't appreciate these damn "Patent Trolls" trying to pocket something they don't deserve.....
Don't worry, the Wii U won't be banned but Nintendo will have to pay a fee similar to the one the are now paying for using the 3DS's 3D tech.

As for patents, they exist to protect someone's invention. They may seem evil, but try to think that you invented glasses free 3D and Nintendo steals that from you.

Finally, some possible reasons why Phillips decided to open the case now could be that either, they think that Nintendo is leaving the console industry due to the rumors months back, so they want to strike before it is to late, OR maybe they got a little greedy(which is a good thing in the business world) and waited until Nintendo gained as much profit as they could from the Wii, so that they could sue for a larger amount.

Reactions: T Link7

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh ya, back on topic (kinda).

To be honest, I kind of liked the CD-i, especially all the educational materials they released for it, and did you know they released a video play back expansion and sold VCD's for it through a catalog a long time after the system was thought to be dead. I guess there was a market out there some where...

And to honest, not all of the games sucked. 7th Guest is a classic, as is Burn Cycle. Likewise, two of those 3 Zelda titles weren't as bad as people say. Not as good as Nintendo's Zelda, but not unplayable either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Going to smoke a bowl, eat pizza, drink a beer, and watch I Saw the TV Glow.