Philips wants to ban Wii and Wii U in America

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Wouldn't this lawsuit mean 3rd party Wii controller manufacturers can get sued too?

How much money do I need to sue Sony for stealing an idea I had which they used in PS4 but never told anyone about or patented it?

This sue-everyone sure sounds cool.

I perhaps should sue Nerf for selling those shitty bullets that get stuck in the sniper when I least expect.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
if you think THIS is a joke. The company Commodore / Amiga (which brought to you the Amiga / C64 computer line and the CD32 game console).....

was taken down entirely due to one vague XOR (Exclusive Or) cursor patent by Cadtrack. One fucking patent ruined an entire reputable player in the electronics industry and forced hundreds of local Pennsylvanians to lose their jobs.

This crap is why the CD32 was never released officially in the USA. But had to be imported. Commadore wouldn't have been so bad off to declare bankruptcy if they didn't put all their assets into the CD32.
Let's not overdramatize, the company had serious financial issues at the time. They closed shop because they had to declare bankrupcy in the face of the CD32's failure as well as poor performance of their computers in most markets as well. It didn't happen overnight, it was an on-going problem that began in the late 1980'ies as Macs and IBM-Compatible PC's took over the market.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol after Sony stabbed Nintendo in the back with their "Play Station" SNES-CD agreement contract, where Sony would have exclusive rights for the addon and Nintendo would get barely nothing).

Nintendo pretty much had "Revenge sex" with Phillips behind Sony's back (which was revealed shortly after CES of that year) with a SNES CD deal and a Nintendo character contract. Which created the incested lovechild abominations known as the Zelda: faces of evil, wand of gamalon, Zelda's Adventure and Hotel Mario. The worst 4 games on the Phillips CD-i. Oddly enough both deals fell though and Sony went to make their Nintendo-less "PlayStation" and the CD addon never happened. Protip!: the SNES has a sound chip designed by Sony, which sparked Sony's interest in Nintendo in the first place. the irony.

Boring history lesson aside (i did a lot of research for my YT series). Nintendo has dealt with Phillips before but not in a negative way like this.

So I guess "Company Erotica" is a thing now.

If so, Microsoft/Apple. Best OTP, do ship.

Reactions: stanleyopar2000

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Being one that has always been encouraged to make my own mistakes I used Foxi4's post as the starting point of a search.

I am not sure whether it is the logical extension of the "companies are people" mindset or whether I just want to go back to a time where companies were the ones fucking me in the arse.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Maybe the patent is too vague and undefined and they only have the patent in the US because the US patent office allows the patenting of vague ideas. European patent offices have way stricter criteria so it's entirely possible Philips only has a patent in the US and can only demand a ban there.

EDIT: "Philips bans Wii U in North America; no impact on sales" :tpi:

With all the ridiculous lawsuits for copyright infrigiment that Apple has done in the last couple of years this does not surprise me.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
This prompted me to make a Google search.

I found "Bill and Steve's (S)Excellent Adventures".

I regret everything.

oh common guys...it's not literally...it's like they...screwed with someone else behind their partners back just to get back at them... : /

and yeah Foxi4 come to think of it...Commadore also extended their resources into the failed video game department...(C64GS [which was a dumbed down C64], Commadore CDTV and MAX Machine) which failed. If they stayed with what worked which was Computers..they maybe would have stayed around longer instead of get greedy and knowingly fail 3 times at it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
    +1
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage shiz.
    +1
    [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, should i change my pfp to one of these or keep it the same?
    iu

iu

(i guess i could change it to one of my other pfps too, but i just want to see what you guys think first)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Up to you.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    smug sonic time lmao
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Chronic The HempHog
  • DilllyDabDharma @ DilllyDabDharma:
    I'm new! Hi!
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Welcome
  • DilllyDabDharma @ DilllyDabDharma:
    What are your favorite topics?
    DilllyDabDharma @ DilllyDabDharma: What are your favorite topics?