Homebrew PCSX ReARMed compatibility list

g12345567

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
According to the bug fix report the exception occurred dump crash error when loading any game has been fixed

Unfortunately the latest Retroarch Stable 1.10.0 released 21 January 2022. Which I have tried and what most people would grab does not include the fix version. You will need to grab one of the latest nightly build 2022-01-23 or later to get the fixed version.

I can confim from testing nightly build 2022-01-23_RetroArch. All games are once again loading as expected without any crashes.

Last edited by g12345567,

MarioKartFan

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
@g12345567 Wow, I have stayed away from PCSX ReARMed updates for the past six months because they kind of turned the N3DS port into a bit of a dumpster fire. The latest nightly is great though. Seems N3DS users are the inadvertent beneficiaries of some of the significant edits that Notaz pushed in December (and that finally work after the fix pushed a few days ago). Performance actually seems better than it has ever been. The (minor) stuttering at the start of FFIX battle transitions is almost completely eliminated. Similarly, the sound skipping upon loading a new level in Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 is completely eliminated.

danielglzt88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
In the nightly version 2022-01-24, which comes with the r23l ab51e9e version, the pcsx rearmed already works. The GT1 on the Hight Speed Ring II track, only at the start a drop to 24fps then stable 30fps, passing through the goal 29fps for an instant. Phenomenal, the Gran Tourismo 2 works perfectly, at least to get a license, with runners I will have to test it. Enjoy and try roms that the pcsx rearmed r23l ab51e9e came with great improvements

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issues stated a problem with CTR that also affected the Vita version. I just used the latest nightly and completed a race so it must have been fixed.

bobdown

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I launch pcsx rearmed on my 3ds, I choose my chd file and then in suggested core I have "no cores available"....this since the retroarch 1.9.0 which is old already. Why "no core available" ?

Maybe it is it doesn't load anymore .chd files ? Because, the core is downloading well and I click "load core" on menu and pcsx-rearmed appears well and then load it, then retroarch restart well.

Last edited by bobdown,

MarioKartFan

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
When I launch pcsx rearmed on my 3ds, I choose my chd file and then in suggested core I have "no cores available"....this since the retroarch 1.9.0 which is old already. Why "no core available" ?

Maybe it is it doesn't load anymore .chd files ? Because, the core is downloading well and I click "load core" on menu and pcsx-rearmed appears well and then load it, then retroarch restart well.
Consider using Playlist —> import and then direct retroarch to the appropriate directory and pick the appropriate core in the prompts that follow

bobdown

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Consider using Playlist —> import and then direct retroarch to the appropriate directory and pick the appropriate core in the prompts that follow
Quite tricky. Perfect it works like a charm through playlist creation. Simple manual scan and associate core to pcsx rearmed. Run the .chd file and then load emulator perfectly. You're right, thank you very much.

bobdown

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, on N3DS, only Gran Turismo 2 is not working. All games, even Tekken 3 through Hi-Res downscaling, are full speed now ! That's Great ! Missing NetPlay if possible.

MarioKartFan

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Yeah the last month has seen some performance improvements. MGS still tanks in Disc 2 in some of the more intense fights (sliding elevator, Raven). Very much playable but definitely slower than original hardware. But MGS is super demanding and many other gems run more or less perfect now.

gus4242

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I got vagrant story past the main menu freeze, i used a chd version of the game and put the corresponding sbi file in the same folder, the sbi had the same name as the chd , also used latest stable version of retroarch on the 3ds no less, looks sharp af

MarioKartFan

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Latest nightlies of PCSX Rearmed have added Auto Frameskip. I have always stayed away from frameskip settings, because I feel like it badly degrades gameplay. But this Auto Frameskip is like blackmagic. It only kicks in when necessary (which on the N3DS is quite rare). This seems to fix the occasional dips during cutscenes, scene transitions, etc.

For the first time, you can now load battles on Final Fantasy IX and Chrono Cross without the sound stuttering at the start. Presumably it is dropping some frames, but given the nature of the scene transitions, it is rather difficult to detect (and in any event, during these transitions you do not have any control...there are no inputs, etc.).

The battles themselves run full speed and do not drop any frames, so whatever is happening in the background is rather invisible to the user. The end result is quite excellent.

NanashiFinal13

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Latest nightlies of PCSX Rearmed have added Auto Frameskip. I have always stayed away from frameskip settings, because I feel like it badly degrades gameplay. But this Auto Frameskip is like blackmagic. It only kicks in when necessary (which on the N3DS is quite rare). This seems to fix the occasional dips during cutscenes, scene transitions, etc.

For the first time, you can now load battles on Final Fantasy IX and Chrono Cross without the sound stuttering at the start. Presumably it is dropping some frames, but given the nature of the scene transitions, it is rather difficult to detect (and in any event, during these transitions you do not have any control...there are no inputs, etc.).

The battles themselves run full speed and do not drop any frames, so whatever is happening in the background is rather invisible to the user. The end result is quite excellent.
You'r right, the new auto frameskip option works great! I try it with Persona 2 Inocent Sin (1 hour of testing) and the suttering present on most intesive battles is gone (also, the first encounter after you boot the game always sutter at battle start, but with auto frameskip, no more suttering!) So now the game works great without needing to lower the psx cpu speed (this was useful to eliminate almost all the suttering, but the battle animations suffer frow it, it make them slower and desync with the sfx sounds)
It also works good on Medievil, is notorious on battles with 3/4 enemies where the game previously suffer from suttering, now that's fixed.
Sadly, on Legacy of Kain: Soulriver, this option affect the game scenes with some blue intermitent flashes, a shame because the game works better with this option on.

Reactions: MarioKartFan

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Saw the new autoskip improvements. Is the core usabe now for o3ds systems, even with nonoptimal framerate?

SwGirlAdv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Saw the new autoskip improvements. Is the core usabe now for o3ds systems, even with nonoptimal framerate?
Almost all the games that i tried are working pretty well on old 3ds, even full speed most of the time, but the 3d action ones runs very poorly overall.

Gehrschrein

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Realise that I'm coming in late to this thread but I've just installed RetroArch and the PCSX core onto my N3DS and I am very impressed with the speed.

I've tested Vagrant Story and noticed the sound generally comes through extremely compressed, but it's especially obvious on the ambient track. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

EDIT: In case anyone else is looking into the sound issue, switching Sound Interpolation to Gaussian fixed this for me.

Last edited by Gehrschrein,

g12345567

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Realise that I'm coming in late to this thread but I've just installed RetroArch and the PCSX core onto my N3DS and I am very impressed with the speed.

I've tested Vagrant Story and noticed the sound generally comes through extremely compressed, but it's especially obvious on the ambient track. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

EDIT: In case anyone else is looking into the sound issue, switching Sound Interpolation to Gaussian fixed this for me.
I've found If a game doesn't work correctly its not down to a problem with retroarch but rather the PCSX ReARMed core having less compatible than other PSX emulators. As I have found that I can run the same game on a more powerful desktop computers uning the same core and iwill experience the same problems in the game, It's just that the PCSX ReARMed core is well optimised for lower end hardware but has less game compatibility compared to other PSX emulators like Beetle.

Gehrschrein

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've found If a game doesn't work correctly its not down to a problem with retroarch but rather the PCSX ReARMed core having less compatible than other PSX emulators. As I have found that I can run the same game on a more powerful desktop computers uning the same core and iwill experience the same problems in the game, It's just that the PCSX ReARMed core is well optimised for lower end hardware but has less game compatibility compared to other PSX emulators like Beetle.
I'm honestly still amazed it works as well as it does!

RyanxGwG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, after 48 hours of tinkering with my core config settings and downloading countless versions of different roms Ive found the definitive way to get ps1 roms to run well

All I had to do was convert my roms from .bin/.cue to .CHD with CHDMAN.exe.

Ps1 games in CHD format run almost twice as well, without audio stuttering for me on my new 2ds xl

Reactions: Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Alright, after 48 hours of tinkering with my core config settings and downloading countless versions of different roms Ive found the definitive way to get ps1 roms to run well

All I had to do was convert my roms from .bin/.cue to .CHD with CHDMAN.exe.

Ps1 games in CHD format run almost twice as well, without audio stuttering for me on my new 2ds xl
Great discovery! Can someone pick up and fork the emulator so it still gets optimizations and bug fixes?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Eat a Snickers!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Almond Joys got nuts!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Almond Joys got nuts!