Tutorial  Updated

Patch TWL_FIRM to play normally blocked DS games

How To Patch TWL_FIRM to play normally blocked DS games

In this tutorial I'll show you how to install the patched "TWL_FIRM" CIA so you're able to play blocked DS cartridges like as example Flashcards that were blocked by Nintendo over the years. However keep in mind that not every Flashcard works this way and, as example, the Action Replay DSi Card only ends up in a white bootup-screen without going further!

------------------------------------------------------------

What You'll Need:

• (Recommended) EmuNAND setup
  • (Recommended) EmuNAND/SysNAND backup before you begin, as example with EmuNAND9
  • TWL_FIRM.zip (this pack would be illegal to upload on GBATemp, please search on Google, the pack I used here was from someone named "AuroraWright" from a certain ISO-Site)
  • A CIA manager (recommended: FBI)
  • TWL Slot-1 Launcher (only needed for some flashcards which won't show up else)

Step 0 (only recommended, not mandatory) - Make an SysNAND/EmuNAND backup
  • This step is only recommended but NOT MANDATORY! But in case you derp something up you'll thank me later
  • Simply use a tool like EmuNAND9, start it via Homebrew Launcher (in SysNAND/"Menuhax" mode) and go to "EmuNAND Manager Options" > "Dump EmuNAND to EmuNAND.bin" and you're good to go.

Step 1 - Copy the right CIA file to your 3DS
  • Unpack the downloaded "TWL_FIRM.zip" file somewhere on your PC.
  • There are 2 files now, "twlfirm_n3ds.cia" and "twlfirm_o3ds.cia". You need to choose the right one for your 3DS.
  • You need to choose the "n3ds" one if your 3DS is a "New 3DS" or "New 3DS XL".
  • You need to choose the "o3ds" one if your 3DS is a "3DS", "3DS XL" or a "2DS".
  • Once you know which file to copy over simply put it in any folder you'll later find it again, as example "X:/CIA/Patches"

Step 2 - Use FBI/Install FBI into home menu
  • I cannot really provide a guide on how to install FBI here so you should refer to the official, above mentioned FBI thread on how to install it. However I recommend using the home menu installed version (aka. CIA version) so there won't be any problems now since this is a system CIA we're going to replace here.

Step 3 - Use FBI in NAND-Mode and install the CIA
  • Open FBI (obviously :P)
  • Press the "L" button once, on the top-screen you should now read a text that says "Destination: NAND". IF YOU FORGET THIS YOU'LL GET AN ERROR NOW!
  • Now go to the folder you've placed the right CIA from Step 1 into.
  • Select it and press "A" to install. Press "A" again to confirm it.
    • If you now get an error like "DESCRIPTION_INVALID_COMBINATION" you've not followed all steps here. Go back by pressing "Start" and then pressing "L" to switch to NAND-Mode. Now try to install the CIA again.
  • After this it'll tell you that the title is already installed. Simply press "A" to overwrite it.
  • Once done press "Start" and go back to your home menu/homebrew launcher.

Step 4 (only recommended, not mandatory) - Install TWL Slot-1 Launcher
  • Since you already know how to install CIA files from Step 3 simply download the above mentioned "TWL Slot-1 Launcher" CIA and install it again as mentioned in Step 3, however this time it'll not ask you to replace anything and install it right away.
  • This will help you later on to start cartridges which you'd not be able to start else.

Okay, that's it!
If you have any questions please ask them here but try to provide as many infos as possible!

Thanks for reading :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

*** Guide Changelogs ***

11.02.2016 - 16:39: INITIAL GUIDE VERSION
12.02.2016 - 21:35: Fix design-issues due to the "super nice mods" merging posts... Gee, thanks guys... :angry:

Last edited by EpicLPer,

Ne0s

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

3DSLOVER54

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hello, i have a really boring problem: i can't play dsiware games because the dsi functionality broke after completing cfw. i installed these dsiwares from freeshop 2.2.0 and i have a n3DS xl. Also, i don't find the "TWL_FIRM.zip" file. Where to find it? thanks.

Configuration:
FIRMWARE: 11.4.0-37E
Luma 3DS v.6.6
FBI
HOMEBREW LAUNCHER
LUMAUPDATER

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
hello, i have a really boring problem: i can't play dsiware games because the dsi functionality broke after completing cfw. i installed these dsiwares from freeshop 2.2.0 and i have a n3DS xl. Also, i don't find the "TWL_FIRM.zip" file. Where to find it? thanks.

Configuration:
FIRMWARE: 11.4.0-37E
Luma 3DS v.6.6
FBI
HOMEBREW LAUNCHER
LUMAUPDATER
You don't need to mess with TWL_FIRM, just use LumaUpdater to get the nightly version of Luma and it'll be fixed.

3DSLOVER54

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi mat,

now i installed latest hourly build of luma (v6.6-00dbbe1b), and now i'm on the configuration menu. There are some new options that i really don't know, what i must tick in the config options to make the dsiwares work? here are the different options:

Default EmuNAND: 1(x) 2() 3() 4()
Screen brightness: 4(x) 3() 2() 1()
Splash: Off(x) Before() After() payloads
PIN lock: Off(x) 4() 6() 8() digits
New 3DS CPU: Off(x) Clock() L2() Clock+L2()

() Autoboot SysNAND
() Use SysNAND FIRM if booting with R
() Enable loading external FIRMs and modules
() Use custom path
() Enable game patching
() Show NAND or user string in System Settings
() Show GBA boot screen in patched AGB_FIRM
() Patch SVC/service/archive/ARM9 access
() Set developer UNITINFO
() Enable exception handlers

Here are all options available in the Luma3DS v.6.6-00dbbe1b configuration. What i must tick to unbreak ds/dsi functionality? I want to have my dsiwares back (i installed them from freeshop v2.2.0).

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
TWL_FIRM.zip is down. Can someone PM me their link for it or something because I want to really use my flashcart
Modern proper CFWs already have builtin TWL patches

If your flashcard is designed for DS/Lite only, use Apache Thunder's "NTR Launcher"

now i installed latest hourly build of luma (v6.6-00dbbe1b), and now i'm on the configuration menu. There are some new options that i really don't know, what i must tick in the config options to make the dsiwares work?
TWL patches work in Luma out of the box, none of the options are related

However, if you manually installed a patched twlfirm, you must restore a clean one
and if Luma is not on the root of the SD and named arm9loaderhax.bin, you must configure the custom path. See the instructions on Luma's github

3DSLOVER54

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Mat, have you a solution?
Hi mat,

now i installed latest hourly build of luma (v6.6-00dbbe1b), and now i'm on the configuration menu. There are some new options that i really don't know, what i must tick in the config options to make the dsiwares work? here are the different options:

() Autoboot SysNAND
() Use custom path
() Enable game patching

Here are all options available in the Luma3DS v.6.6-00dbbe1b configuration. What i must tick to unbreak ds/dsi functionality? I want to have my dsiwares back (i installed them from freeshop v2.2.0).

ChaosWeeb

Pleb Modding King
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Modern proper CFWs already have builtin TWL patches

If your flashcard is designed for DS/Lite only, use Apache Thunder's "NTR Launcher"

TWL patches work in Luma out of the box, none of the options are related

However, if you manually installed a patched twlfirm, you must restore a clean one
and if Luma is not on the root of the SD and named arm9loaderhax.bin, you must configure the custom path. See the instructions on Luma's github

Thanks for the help Ryccardo!

So what this thread and you are saying is:
CFW patches TWL-FIRM (so Im in the clear cause i have a9lh + luma)
Use TWLSlot1Launcher for blocked flashcarts that worked with 3ds before Nintendo Patched them (example: r4i:sdhc)
Use NTRLauncher to use DS flashcarts (original r4 for example) (the ones that booted auto without banner when ds booted up)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks for the help Ryccardo!

So what this thread and you are saying is:
CFW patches TWL-FIRM (so Im in the clear cause i have a9lh + luma)
Use TWLSlot1Launcher for blocked flashcarts that worked with 3ds before Nintendo Patched them (example: r4i:sdhc)
Use NTRLauncher to use DS flashcarts (original r4 for example) (the ones that booted auto without banner when ds booted up)

Pretty much; NTR Launcher has the most compatibility and you probably won't need any other DS-mode launcher

3DSLOVER54

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I didn't installed any TWL_FIRM because link is down , i don't know how to find it... So that's why like matpower said i try to make my dsiwares work with the last luma version!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I didn't installed any TWL_FIRM because link is down , i don't know how to find it... So that's why like matpower said i try to make my dsiwares work with the last luma version!
You don't need a patched twlfirm

Are you using emunand? (Don't)
Have you used ctrtransfer to mod your console? (Follow the Troubleshooting page of Plailect's guide to reinstall the DSi mode titles)
Is Luma the arm9loaderhax.bin file at the root of your SD, or have you moved it? (Read the instructions on Luma's github)

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Mat, have you a solution?
If you want to get the attention of someone, either quote their post or mention them using the at-symbol. Like this @matpower

Also, please wait for a bit before bumping your question. Matpower is from Brazil, which is a different time zone. He's probably asleep, or just woken up or something.

Reactions: matpower

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi mat,

() Autoboot SysNAND
() Use custom path
() Enable game patching

You'll want:
() Autoboot SysNAND
You might toggle "() Show GBA boot screen in patched AGB_FIRM" if you wish to have the GBA startup screen when you play GBA VC titles. They should work fine after that, assuming that you aren't using emuNAND/RedNAND and followed Plailect's guide.

3DSLOVER54

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You don't need a patched twlfirm

Are you using emunand? (Don't)
Have you used ctrtransfer to mod your console? (Follow the Troubleshooting page of Plailect's guide to reinstall the DSi mode titles)
Is Luma the arm9loaderhax.bin file at the root of your SD, or have you moved it? (Read the instructions on Luma's github)

Yes, i used the ctrtransfer to mod and have the cfw. I already did the procedure shown in 3ds guide and didn't work. I also read that the problem was the boot path of luma, but i never changed it (it's again arm9loaderhax.bin, at the root of the SD). What's that freakin problem?
@Ryccardo

i followed ctrtransfer guide, but a bit after, formatted my system, because i thought that formatting will solve the dsiwares problem. also, if this can maybe help, I'm on 11.4 firmware

Last edited by 3DSLOVER54,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

3DSLOVER54

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@Ryccardo Hi ryccardo, I will install on my SD and test the latest today's alex's luma3DS build. Hope it's gonna work! If this can help, i already followed the troubleshooting dsi functionality guide , but didn't work.

Edit: Alex's Luma latest version is now installed on my SD, and i also used custom path (i renamed the "arm9loaderhax.bin" from the extracted folder of the Alex's latest luma version to "boot.bin" and placed it in sd, in the luma folder, with a .txt file with written on it "/luma/boot.bin".

RE-edit: Didn't work:(

Last edited by 3DSLOVER54,

3DSLOVER54

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi guys, i totally explored my console and i also discovered that not only Dsiwares weren't working, but Ds functionality of ds download play, and ds profile configuration (in system settings/profile) aren't working too. I think my ds/dsi functionality is softbricked, but here's a entire recapitulative of my situation, i'm trying to precise a lot:

i'm on a New 3ds xl , with firmware 11.4.0-37E, and i currently install my games with freeshop 3ds. I'm using luma 7.0, homebrew launcher, FBI, lumaupdater, FTPD, GodMode 9 and decrypt9. When i try to launch an installed Dsiware game installed from freeshop, the game never loads and it ends up with an extinction of the console ( it makes a blackscreen, and the console powers off after.) I'm on SysNAND, i'm not using EmuNAND, and also ds download play ds functionality is dead ( blackscreen too). What can i do to fix this and play normally my dsiwares? because they aren't loading, when i try to launch them, it shows a 1 second blackscreen and the console powers off automatically. Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1