Hacking Out of the loop.

biggan1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys

My 3ds XL has been sitting for awhile and is currently running a9lh+luma at 11.2. (lucky I'm still on 11.2 so I can still use soundhax!)

I've seen and read abit on forums and guides but haven't gotten into detail.
Should I upgrade to boot9strap from a9lh? Any reason to keep a9lh at all?

Any difference in functionality with b9s that makes a9lh inferior?

I'm using that 3ds site guide ofc and no other.

Is the current FW 11.5 "safe" at the moment?

Anything particular besides b9s I need to know about?

A couple month ago I bought an Wii U and damn I got hooked on that one then I kinda had to take a break from the handhelds. (Dunno if I'm banned yet or not..lol)

Now I'm back. And hooked on the 3ds and want to update and educate myself and my 3ds if needed. (Started playing Xenoblade Chronicles, 70 hours in now (can't wait to play Xenoblade X after I finish the first game!)

Thanks for all input any update that I might need to know being out of the loop for about 6 months. Cheers

Last edited by biggan1,

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Follow this to update to B9S. You can update your system to 11.5 before or after updating to B9S.

You should update to B9S because Luma no longer supports any other entrypoints. If you take a look inside newer Luma release archives, you can see there's only a boot.firm executable. No more A9LH .bin payloads, or HBL/menuhax .3dsx files.

Last edited by dpad_5678,

biggan1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Follow this to update to B9S. You can update your system to 11.5 before or after updating to B9S.

You should update to B9S because Luma no longer supports any other entrypoints. If you take a look inside newer Luma release archives, you can see there's only a boot.firm executable. No more A9LH .bin payloads, or HBL/menuhax .3dsx files.

Thanks for the link, was looking there but couldn't find any upgrade guide for a9lh.

With entry points do you mean for games and the system itself?

I'm just wondering what b9s and the new luma updates brings to the table. Any other system improvement that makes it worthwhile?

At the moment my 3ds is updated to latest luma for a9lh and 64gb full with backups and valuable gamesaves.
If I proceed should I make a backup of any files? Thinking mostly about the savefiles. Just asking to be sure.

I know there might be some excessive questions, but why change what isn't broken?

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the link, was looking there but couldn't find any upgrade guide for a9lh.

I'm just wondering what b9s and the new luma updates brings to the table. Any other system improvement that makes it worthwhile?

At the moment my 3ds is updated to latest luma for a9lh and 64gb full with backups and valuable gamesaves.
If I proceed should I make a backup of any files? Thinking mostly about the savefiles. Just asking to be sure.

I know there might be some excessive questions, but why change what isn't broken?
Entrypoints are, well, it's kind of hard to explain. Entrypoints are like A9LH, Boot9Strap, menuhax, Ninjhax, etc.

You really should update. Well....if you don't care about newer Luma features then you don't NEED to update.

I'm not sure what you've backed up, but I'm guessing it's just your SD card contents including your "Nintendo 3DS" folder. You won't have to make another backup of that.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

You don't need a backup for the B9S upgrade, but it's always good to have one anyway.
Follow this: https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys

My 3ds XL has been sitting for awhile and is currently running a9lh+luma at 11.2. (lucky I'm still on 11.2 so I can still use soundhax!)

I've seen and read abit on forums and guides but haven't gotten into detail.
Should I upgrade to boot9strap from a9lh? Any reason to keep a9lh at all?

Any difference in functionality with b9s that makes a9lh inferior?

I'm using that 3ds site guide ofc and no other.

Is the current FW 11.5 "safe" at the moment?

Anything particular besides b9s I need to know about?

A couple month ago I bought an Wii U and damn I got hooked on that one then I kinda had to take a break from the handhelds. (Dunno if I'm banned yet or not..lol)

Now I'm back. And hooked on the 3ds and want to update and educate myself and my 3ds if needed. (Started playing Xenoblade Chronicles, 70 hours in now (can't wait to play Xenoblade X after I finish the first game!)

Thanks for all input any update that I might need to know being out of the loop for about 6 months. Cheers
You won't need soundhax on the latest Luma (8.1.1). Just install HB_launcher v1.1 and it starts up the HBL with home support. AKA, it doesn't use a payload.

biggan1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Entrypoints are, well, it's kind of hard to explain. Entrypoints are like A9LH, Boot9Strap, menuhax, Ninjhax, etc.

You really should update. Well....if you don't care about newer Luma features then you don't NEED to update.

I'm not sure what you've backed up, but I'm guessing it's just your SD card contents including your "Nintendo 3DS" folder. You won't have to make another backup of that.

Ah yes I'm well aware of that, thought you meant entry points in some other manner, was thinking I'm already on CFW and shouldn't need any new ones right?

I heard alot about luma and the new features but to be honest I have not read up on that yet.

Many people says I definitely should update. Which I've decided I will, not sure what b9s and the luma futures are hence me asking. Since b9s seems obvious over a9lh but why? Besides entry points.

Sorry for any misintrepation, been lying really sick with fever for 8 days now.. kinda foggy brain atm to say the least. (I'll perform the operation when I'm not lightheaded of course.) Got really hooked on Xenoblade though, what a lovely game!

You don't need a backup for the B9S upgrade, but it's always good to have one anyway.
Follow this: https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s
Always using that site and I'm always making sure I have backups, I'd rather ask/read twice and be sure then to just go head in first.
I'm just rusty, I've been though 3ds hacking before but I got no b9s experience.

You won't need soundhax on the latest Luma (8.1.1). Just install HB_launcher v1.1 and it starts up the HBL with home support. AKA, it doesn't use a payload.

Hm this contradicts the other answers. I just saw on 3ds site that soundhax worked for 11.2 but I'm already on CFW a9lh+luma.
The 3ds update seems more legit in my case.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hblauncher_loader doesn't work on Luma 8.x due to Rosalina, but it's not needed anyway.
No, if you use it on 8.x it starts the Rosalina HBL.

Hm this contradicts the other answers. I just saw on 3ds site that soundhax worked for 11.2 but I'm already on CFW a9lh+luma.
The 3ds update seems more legit in my case.
How?

biggan1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

How?
To be frank I do not know what the hblaunxher is.
But since I'm already on CFW A9lh. The other guide seems to suit me since it's made for users with a9lh installed already. Seems like the safest option in my case.

I must ask why use it when the other method cleans up after a9lh aswell?

I get a feeling that it will be done more properly but then I dunno what this launcher is.

Last edited by biggan1,

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be frank I do not know what the hblaunxher is.
But since I'm already on CFW A9lh. The other guide seems to suit me since it's made for users with a9lh installed already. Seems like the safest option in my case.

I must ask why use it when the other method cleans up after a9lh aswell?

I get a feeling that it will be done more properly but then I dunno what this launcher is.
I just meant you can use that instead of soundhax on the latest Luma. It has nothing to do with you updating.

biggan1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I just meant you can use that instead of soundhax on the latest Luma. It has nothing to do with you updating.

I got luma 6.6 or something atm can update to 8.0 or similar but some addition is rosalina which needs b9s to update?
So did not update yet since I will get b9s and better to do it after.
Can't I just update luma as I already have it once b9s is installed? Got it already. Afaik I just need to install the updated if you read this guide:
https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s.html

Last edited by biggan1,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

How?
Only if you have the Rosalina HB title set to hblauncher_loader, which isn't how most people have it set up. It kind of ruins the point of Rosalina as well, part of the point is that Nintendo only sees you as playing a legit title such as Download Play, lowering the chance of being banned.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only if you have the Rosalina HB title set to hblauncher_loader, which isn't how most people have it set up. It kind of ruins the point of Rosalina as well, part of the point is that Nintendo only sees you as playing a legit title such as Download Play, lowering the chance of being banned.
No, it does it by default. I didn't setup any extra options.

Also, if you turn off the data reporting options then that doesn't matter.

Last edited by Pickle_Rick,

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, well I've been doing since cfw was a thing and I haven't been banned.
I've left all options on and used CIA homebrew and I haven't either. You should read the OP of the "Regarding the recent banwave" thing first.

The banwave subsided already not too long after it happened.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
No, it does it by default. I didn't setup any extra options.

Also, if you turn off the data reporting options then that doesn't matter.
The data reporting options don't make any difference. Nintendo logs everything you run while online, people have logged the traffic sent to the servers and have verified that the currently playing title is sent to Nintendo regardless. Also, according to polls, there's not really much difference in the percentage of people banned between people who had both data sending and displaying the currently playing title to friends enabled, people who had one or the other enabled, or both disabled. On the other hand, your local activity log is never sent to Nintendo, so nothing you do while offline is logged.

biggan1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Everything seems straightforward and there shouldn't be any problems.
However to be sure if something does happen can I just restore with a backup? Or is it a different story then?

biggan1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm going through this guide.
https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s.html

Im puzzled.
Step No 11,12 says: "
  1. Copy setup_ctrnand_luma3ds.gm9 to the /gm9/scripts/ folder on your SD card
  2. Copy cleanup_sd_card.gm9 to the /gm9/scripts/ folder on your SD card"
No such files exists in any of the downloads. Don't want to skip a step but kinda..stuck?
Any tips?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)