Original XBOX = Media Center?

SeanoRLY?

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So I was watching the broken earlier on (awesome underground series made a few years ago), and in episode 3 they modded the original xbox and showed a few things it could do. One of the things that stood out for me was that someone made a media center type program for it, and it streamed video files from the HD. I was wondering if anyone knew more about it, as in, what file types the xbox could run.

I was thinking that modding/soft modding an original xbox would be a great and very cheap solution to a media center. I'd probably only use it for anime/movies/tv-shows, etc and the majority of those are in AVI which I'm guessing it can run, but a lot of new groups are now encoding in MKV and for dual audio files, OGM. Does anyone know if the Xbox could handle MKV/OGM files?

So yeah, I can pick up an original Xbox for like 20 quid, so it'd be great for backing media onto the HD for streaming to a nice big TV. Does anyone have any good links to explaining how to do that?

I'll go check on Xbox Scene, but their Original Xbox tutorial section is HUGE so it might take a while to cive though.

Thanks guys!

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's the XBMC. It basically plays everything you downloads from the Internet.

You need to mod your Xbox to install XBMC, I recommend softmodding.

SeanoRLY?

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks a lot for the quick feedback guys! I'll check out the tutorial. Guess it's time for me to buy a xbox ;D

Guess it's a no go for MKV files then. That's OK though, AVI should be enough and I can always convert the files for the Xbox.

Thanks once again guys!

chuckstudios

Putting the pro in procrastination
Trophies
Website
www.schlarp.com
XP
Country
United States
SeanoRLY? said:
Thanks a lot for the quick feedback guys! I'll check out the tutorial. Guess it's time for me to buy a xbox ;D

Guess it's a no go for MKV files then. That's OK though, AVI should be enough and I can always convert the files for the Xbox.

Thanks once again guys!

MKV works, as MKV is just a container. It's just more likely to have (non-working) HD content inside.

Corizzle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
MKV will work fine, I have watched plenty of Anime that was in MKV (with duel audio/subs). As mentioned if it's in HD it won't play though.

The XBOX is probably the best media centre you can get other then an actual Media Centre PC. Especially given how easy it is to mod. I have 3 in 3 different rooms and they all are barely used for games anymore.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread is relevant to my interests...

Does the xbox come with a HD? How big? What form-factor HD does it use?

What the max resolution it can play? Can it play 1280x720?

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Linkiboy said:

Generally an 8GB hard drive but it's not difficult to swap it out with a larger one. It's a standard 3.5'' IDE hard drive. I still maintain that it is one of the cheapest media center solutions out there for standard definition content.

chuckstudios

Trophies
Website
www.schlarp.com
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:

It's actually 10GB most of the time, but the other 2GB is unpartitioned by default. I have a 500GB in mine, putting in a new drive simply consists of getting a key off the original and applying the key to the new one (locking) with a special Linux live CD. Also, 1280x720 qualifies as HD. Standard definition is usually around 700 pixels horizontally and 500 pixels vertically.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just thought I might chip in over how awesome XBMC is. I installed it a few months ago and the updates kept coming in within weeks. Didn't even need to update it that often.

It was a pain at first to learn about FTP but now I look back and think how stupid could I be to not even know FTP.

Swapping HDD is easy. The inside of the Xbox is essentially just a PC in a console so you just swap cables and that's it. The Xbox as a games machine was okay but with XBMC it was what made me NOT sell the Xbox. Just a shame that there's nothing like it for the 360... yet

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chuckstudios said:
Linkiboy said:

It's actually 10GB most of the time, but the other 2GB is unpartitioned by default. I have a 500GB in mine, putting in a new drive simply consists of getting a key off the original and applying the key to the new one (locking) with a special Linux live CD. Also, 1280x720 qualifies as HD. Standard definition is usually around 700 pixels horizontally and 500 pixels vertically.
Ah, its just that its a celeron that around 700mhz, which is I think a similar one on my old PC, which can run 720p/i video...

Scathraax

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
chuckstudios said:
Use this guide to softmod your Xbox (it costs nothing, no materials to buy).

XBMC is available here.

Also, XBMC supports everything. No joke. AVI, MKV, OGM, VOB, MOV, etc...
Holy crap.. hotswapping seems so very complicated.
wacko.gif

I think I'll continue to look for a copy of one the 3 softmod enabling games.

chuckstudios

Trophies
Website
www.schlarp.com
XP
Country
United States
ZML said:
chuckstudios said:
Use this guide to softmod your Xbox (it costs nothing, no materials to buy).

XBMC is available here.

Also, XBMC supports everything. No joke. AVI, MKV, OGM, VOB, MOV, etc...
wacko.gif

It's really not that bad. Besides, you have to do it (partially at least) in order to upgrade the HDD.

pika3000

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ZML said:
wacko.gif

You should check EBgames for a copy of splinter cell (even platinum copies work), a friend told me that he saw it there for a dollar. If you need a Datel USB to Xbox device then you should check out this manual http://www.instructables.com/id/Better-Usb-Adapter-for-XBox/ on how to make your own and if you have a PSP you can use that to transfer the save data but back up the memory stick pro duo first.

sunnytimes

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
XBMC rules!! if you have HI-def this skin is awesome.. www.aeonproject.com .. also i highly recommend keeping your XBMC up to date with new versions , and if you haven't updated in a long time it gets better everyday :]

for more skins this is the best app .. http://s205077464.onlinehome.fr/ .. super easy to get alot of up to date skins right from the official skin project SVN ..

rscarrab

Trophies
XP
Country
Definetely get your xbox modded. I have mine hard modded (its a v1.0) with the Xecuter 3 chip and i can vouch for it, hasn't given me a prob (not that IT should). Getting my xbox modded was well worth it, id recommend you get it hard modded with a chip and then get a hard drive installed, the bigger the better. Im using a 120gb HDD and i always find myself wishing i had more space!! If your PC is nearby, Hook it up with an ethernet cable and FTP all your media/ISO's/roms onto the xbox. If anything the xbox is by far the best console for homebrew and emulators. As another poster pointed out xbox-scene.com has all the information.
One thing though that annoyed me when i first started FTP'ing to the xbox; Filenames have to be 80 characters or less. As opposed to 128 characters. All files on xbox cant exceed 80 characters, remember that. Renaming rom sets took ages, not as long as trying to figure out why they wont FTP in the first place...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning...