Homebrew OPEN_AGB_FIRM discussion thread

Amey8a

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
There is no difference. This is either user error or hardware failure. Leaning towards the later.
Even after complete hardware test.

Let me collect some points for you AGAIN.

1. Fresh boot is glitchless as long as you don't shut down the game. I have finished entire emerald gba yesterday without shutting down (Sunday of course) without any glitch (So, I don't think it is the hardware at fault here.)

FOCUS ON THIS :- 2. I still want someone with actual "OLD 2DS" to "INJECT EMERALD VC" and report the findings.

3. User error is non existent here after wiping sd card, formatting entire system, trying vc inject and verified gba dump in OAF, changing cluster size, running almost an entire pokemon collection from start to end with no glitches.

4. Kindly, Stop replying if you don't have an "OLD 2DS" for testing the issue. My request is exclusively towards users/members who have an "OLD 2DS".

5. I need tests on "OLD 2DS" only. Ignore my comments if you have "New 3ds/3dsxl/2dsxl". That is because I have a new 3dsxl with no issues in emerald vc.

6. Glitches are reproducible on my end and occur on exact same graphics, in exactly the same way. This issues are only graphical; and occur at empty text spaces only.

AGAIN, KINDLY REPLY ONLY IF YOU HAVE AN OLD 2DS FOR TESTING. Thank you.

If I didn't get any answer then the only way left for me will be to buy another old 2ds just for testing purposes. It seems likely to happen considering reply are less.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

1. Fresh boot is glitchless as long as you don't shut down the game. I have finished entire emerald gba yesterday without shutting down (Sunday of course) without any glitch (So, I don't think it is the hardware at fault here.)

FOCUS ON THIS :- 2. I still want someone with actual "OLD 2DS" to "INJECT EMERALD VC" and report the findings.

3. User error is non existent here after wiping sd card, formatting entire system, trying vc inject and verified gba dump in OAF, changing cluster size, running almost an entire pokemon collection from start to end with no glitches.

4. Kindly, Stop replying if you don't have an "OLD 2DS" for testing the issue. My request is exclusively towards users/members who have an "OLD 2DS".

5. I need tests on "OLD 2DS" only. Ignore my comments if you have "New 3ds/3dsxl/2dsxl". That is because I have a new 3dsxl with no issues in emerald vc.

6. Glitches are reproducible on my end and occur on exact same graphics, in exactly the same way. This issues are only graphical; and occur at empty text spaces only.

If I didn't get any answer then the only way left for me will be to buy another old 2ds just for testing purposes. It seems likely to happen considering reply are less.
When you're coming to a community asking people to give you their time and help for free, it might be best to dial back the bad attitude.

Looks like you'll need to buy another old 2DS :tpi:

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States

I did:
  1. Start Pokémon Emerald with fresh save on old 2DS
  2. As soon as possible, save and quit
  3. Reopen game, play for a couple minutes
and didn't notice any graphical glitches at all, I'm not able to test VC injects as NSUI doesn't want to run for me

My ROM is Pokémon Emerald (U) SHA-1 f3ae088181bf583e55daf962a92bb46f4f1d07b7

Amey8a

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
When you're coming to a community asking people to give you their time and help for free, it might be best to dial back the bad attitude.

Looks like you'll need to buy another old 2DS :tpi:
I agree with you. I don't generally ask for help. My post is like me ranting but if people are not reading my previous comment and giving suggestion then, this process of troubleshooting won't work at all. For free time, I do spend my free time as well for help and support not here but on reddit support. The notifications are instant and communication always ends up with some solution.

Post automatically merged:

I did:
  1. Start Pokémon Emerald with fresh save on old 2DS
  2. As soon as possible, save and quit
  3. Reopen game, play for a couple minutes
and didn't notice any graphical glitches at all, I'm not able to test VC injects as NSUI doesn't want to run for me

My ROM is Pokémon Emerald (U) SHA-1 f3ae088181bf583e55daf962a92bb46f4f1d07b7
Thanks for providing the needed feedback. I might send you the video clip with text and spacing glitches in near future. I hope you to do the same and kindly record video clip starting fresh emerald on OAF for sample size of upto 3 times. Much appreciated for your help.

The glitches I am experiencing are visible in my first post and glitches are occurring at text bubble, text spacing only. Can you check pokedex once you get it. Text glitching is very much clear there. Are you on latest firmware version? What sd card you are using?

Last edited by Amey8a,
Reactions: Maximumbeans

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm total noob to OPEN-AGB-FIRM, my "New 3DS" was set up years ago w/ all GBA VC injects and I haven't followed 3DS for a while. Just modded an Old 3DS XL today, and looking at this as a better method for playing GBA on the console (over VC injects).

edit: nvm I had a question about "That Shortcut Thingy" but I'm reading this recent thread and think I will just wait a bit longer.

Last edited by Hanafuda,

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm total noob to OPEN-AGB-FIRM, my "New 3DS" was set up years ago w/ all GBA VC injects and I haven't followed 3DS for a while. Just modded an Old 3DS XL today, and looking at this as a better method for playing GBA on the console (over VC injects).

edit: nvm I had a question about "That Shortcut Thingy" but I'm reading this recent thread and think I will just wait a bit longer.
Btw, there's no other way around turning off the 3ds everytime you want to load another gba game with Open_agb_firm. There's an app that soft-reboots the system from the home menu to load Open_agb_firm (without the need of turning off the 3ds then on), as well any other .firm software you might have (like GodMode9), it's called Open AGB Launcher.

Reactions: Hanafuda

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Btw, there's no other way around turning off the 3ds everytime you want to load another gba game with Open_agb_firm. There's an app that soft-reboots the system from the home menu to load Open_agb_firm (without the need of turning off the 3ds then on), as well any other .firm software you might have (like GodMode9), it's called Open AGB Launcher.

Thanks. Just messed around with it a little. (on the XL project I posted about in the noob thread - it's done except for a new screen lens/cover). Hardcoded for fullscreen scaled, or else compile a version for 1:1 resolution. I go back and forth, depending on on the game. I recognize a lot of the benefits here over VC inject, but the resolution thing and no return to home are major cons.

Reactions: CoolMe

Chuardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
How do I make it 'pixel-perfect'? Do I need to change something on the config.ini? Is there a way to make a forwarder on my 3DS Home Menu that loads open_agb_firm.firm so I don't need to start my 3DS by pressing 'start'?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I make it 'pixel-perfect'?
According to the readme

Code:
Video
Video-related settings.

u8 scaler - Video scaler. 0 = none, 1 = bilinear, 2 = hardware.

Default: 2

Change the value inside the config.ini to 0 for pixel perfect scale with no filter. (Though the screen won't be centered)

Is there a way to make a forwarder on my 3DS Home Menu that loads open_agb_firm.firm
According to the readme

Code:
FAQ
Q: Why isn't open_agb_firm a normal 3DS app?
A: To access the 3DS's GBA hardware, open_agb_firm needs to run with full hardware access, which can only be provided by running as a FIRM.

No, it's not possible.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The readme mentions using X+dpad now to control LCD brightness or on/off, but it doesn't seem to work for me with the latest github release from April 25th. Have the builds not just been updated to the latest source? Is there a more recent build somewhere?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The readme mentions using X+dpad now to control LCD brightness or on/off, but it doesn't seem to work for me with the latest github release from April 25th. Have the builds not just been updated to the latest source? Is there a more recent build somewhere?
I thought this was being updated? well, I built the newest version, which is August:

1672504775746.png

sorry, forgot it needed make release, so this is all the files:

Attachments

• open_agb_firm.7z
    181.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited by godreborn,

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
For some reason, when you disable the scaling (Use value 0 instead of 2) the screen isn't centered. No way to fix that? Also a option to swap screens like GBA games on NDS? :ninja:
The screen is hardcoded to be rendered in that particular part of the screen, and also in that particular screen (top). Things should be modified in order to make such features possible - so unless someone works on it, we're stuck with what we have rn.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The screen is hardcoded to be rendered in that particular part of the screen, and also in that particular screen (top). Things should be modified in order to make such features possible - so unless someone works on it, we're stuck with what we have rn.
Well it's not a huge problem. But it seems weird to just be not centered. No one ever has the image moved to the bottom of the screen when playing anything, be it a video, picture or a game. Lol :P

pokota

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean if you start a DS game in 1:1 scale on a 3dsxl the top screen is along the bottom edge but there's never a need to use 1:1 scale

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean if you start a DS game in 1:1 scale on a 3dsxl the top screen is along the bottom edge but there's never a need to use 1:1 scale
That's intentional to reduce the distance between top and bottom viewable area. Especially important when games split a single image across the two screens, like Sonic Rush or Contra 4.

Reactions: AyanamiRei

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and a buddy used to play that, is pretty fun. Graphics were pretty good also at that time, I think what 5-6 years ago. --Edit yea was 2018
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Surprised they never made a second one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It takes two was their newest different theme
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I didn't care for that one so much, but didn't play it much either.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just played little of "Still Wakes The Deep" , just came to gamepass today, its alright, kinda creepy. I'm not usually a horror game fan, but it looks really good graphic wise, esp w 4k. I admit it made me jump a few times.
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    Anyone here using the 3DS?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    do u have pretendo?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    whats ur code?
  • B @ btjunior:
    i dont have pretendo sorry
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    oh ok
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    well if ur console isnt modded i suggest u to mod it
  • B @ btjunior:
    also, just curius, does the freinds app still work after the shutdown?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    yes
  • B @ btjunior:
    nice
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    but u cant play online games anymore :(
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i miss going in other peoples town
  • B @ btjunior:
    yeah
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i have a friend named Pineapple (@pineappleJuice hi). we played a lot the day b4 the server shutdown
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I preten to know doe
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @LNLenost how well is the pretendo servers, you ever get kicked off games when playing online?
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    @BigOnYa not always you get kicked. it happens rarely to me.
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    ofc they're not great, but props to them for making this
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    btw, I decided to make the nintendo support team going insane
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i told them my badges disappeared after i opened the badge arcade after the shutdown, but actually they disappeared because i opened the badge arcade w/ pretendo
    LNLenost @ LNLenost: i told them my badges disappeared after i opened the badge arcade after the shutdown, but...