Open AL on Windows 10

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been driving me nuts, but a while back, I made a program to demix Pokemon music. It runs using the OpenAL audio engine. All was good until I upgraded to windows 10. Now my program consistantly crashes after 6 minutes of running. I narrowed this down to OpenAL (I compiled a version with no audio output, that didn't crash). My question is, has anyone else had issues with any app or program using OpenAL on Win10 like this? I want to get back to demixing, although I don't want to downgrade to Win7 again just to do that.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have Open AL for a FreeSpace 2 Open mod. I've not had issues with it. FS2O does crash on occasion, but that's a stability problem with the mod, not Open AL. If you really need to, you can set up a VM environment with Oracle's VM VirtualBox and install Win7 to that if you truly can't get Open AL working in what you have now. Using a VM is also a whole lot simpler than installing a secondary boot OS.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had no issues with OpenAL (several games in my library rely on it), although I've been using precompiled binaries from redistributables rather than compiling it myself.

Have you tried doing a completely fresh install of OpenAL?

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have tried installing it again, after rebooting, it still did not work (as in it works, but crashes my app afterwards). I'm more so curious as to why it only happens on windows 10, and not windows 7. I might give VM a try, though I also have an ubuntu installation, so I might try running it in wine

Edit: after wine, it crashed just like windows. It must be faulty implementation with openAL in the engine I used

Last edited by froggestspirit,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree"