Hacking Question Old Firmware vs. New - Risks of ban

XaneTenshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Hey guys

I currently have a Switch on 3.0.0 and am just starting to get into HomeBrew. However the limitations of being stuck on 3.0 for the softmod is starting annoy me (No online play - that's fair, limited to what games I can play - that sucks, can't even add friends because linking Nintendo Account requires update - you're kidding me right?).

Anyway, I am tempted to update, but am wondering if, banwise, I am safer staying on this firmware? For example, I've heard people talking about error reporting and how these get sent to Nintendo even if you choose to opt out, but I only have error log under system and there is no option of choosing whether you want to send or not.

BTW, I assume I am posting in the right section, but I hardly ever create threads, so I apologize in advance if this is somehow in the wrong section.

D

Deleted User

Not going online is safer than going online. Updating your system means going online and connecting to Nintendo's server.

I'm sure I didn't need to tell you this though, it's common sense.

XaneTenshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Not going online is safer than going online. Updating your system means going online and connecting to Nintendo's server.

I'm sure I didn't need to tell you this though, it's common sense.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I realize that, but that's just it. On Firmware 3.0, I HAVE to be connected online because the exploit is triggered through the browser. if I stayed offline, I couldn't launch the softmod.

Obviously I am using a DNS which should prevent any communications with Nintendo that I don't want. But as I said, I'd like to know, in a bit more detail, if I really am any safer staying on 3.0. Otherwise, I might as well update.

ATM, only thing I've done is go into HomeBrew Launcher, start the appstore and download a few apps. I don't know, maybe I'm just being paranoid...

XaneTenshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
First Question I have for you is,did you make a NAND backup before you started messing around with homebrew apps?

Admittedly, I haven't yet, because I'm not sure how to do it and more importantly, if it's even possible on 3.0. The guide here https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-hacking-101-how-to-launch-the-homebrew-menu-on-all-fw.504012/, explains how to do that, but that seems to be for Firmware above 3.0 and you need to enter RCM Mode to do it, which obviously I am not doing. If it is actually possible, I'd certainly like to do it.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Admittedly, I haven't yet, because I'm not sure how to do it and more importantly, if it's even possible on 3.0. The guide here https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-hacking-101-how-to-launch-the-homebrew-menu-on-all-fw.504012/, explains how to do that, but that seems to be for Firmware above 3.0 and you need to enter RCM Mode to do it, which obviously I am not doing. If it is actually possible, I'd certainly like to do it.
You should be able to launch homebrew on 3.0 without going online by using RCM.

XaneTenshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
You should be able to launch homebrew on 3.0 without going online by using RCM.

But....The whole reason I am staying on 3.0 is to NOT have to do the hardmod to enter RCM XD. But if that's the only way to backup my NAND, I guess I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

A couple more questions if you don't mind.

1: Incase I want to update in the future, but don't want to get the newest firmware and/or go online to do it, I can just get a game (Say Mario Kart Deluxe) and use that to update the firmware without going online, right?

2: Say I successfully create a Nand backup of my 3.0 firmware; If I use the above method to update my firmware later, Will I be able to use my Nand backup to downgrade my Switch back to the firmware it was on?

c80

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
However the limitations of being stuck on 3.0 for the softmod is starting annoy me
You are not limited to 3.0. The RCM softmod works with ALL firmwares. You don't need a hardmod at all (but you can e.g. install a Trinket M0 inside the switch).

Andalitez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not that I know of sorry.With that said,what are you trying to do though?

In terms of updating,I would say the following.

Use RCM mode and load Hekate - CTCaer mod v3.2
Make a full NAND backup,so you get rawnand.bin. Be sure to make backups of BOOT0 and BOOT1 files as well.You can use 7Zip on a Windows PC once you have those files to save space by zipping it.

From there,you can choose to upgrade to 5.1.0 without burning fuses - How to install/run ANY Switch firmware UNOFFICIALLY (WITHOUT burning any fuses)
Before you start that process though,you will need to have your own keys. you can use this guide - How to get Switch Keys for Hactool/XCI Decrypting (you'll need this for the above guide)

That will allow you to upgrade to 5.1.0 with the possibility to go back to 3.0.0 when you want to.
The things to note with this method though is, you'll have to have AutoRCM enabled to avoid burning fuses preventing you from downgrading again (if fuses get burnt you cant downgrade,hence AutoRCM to avoid it).This might be detectable by Nintendo so it could lead to a ban anyway.Best to stay offline and undetected as possible.

But its all about why you want to upgrade

Last edited by Andalitez,

XaneTenshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
You are not limited to 3.0. The RCM softmod works with ALL firmwares. You don't need a hardmod at all (but you can e.g. install a Trinket M0 inside the switch).

Say what??? Are you sure? Everything I have read points to the fact that only 3.0 and below can access the HomeBrew Launcher through softmodding. All higher firmware needs the hardmod to do it...

Andalitez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tbh I'd use RCM,
Say what??? Are you sure? Everything I have read points to the fact that only 3.0 and below can access the HomeBrew Launcher through softmodding. All higher firmware needs the hardmod to do it...
He means you only need to do RCM mode once,then use AutoRCM to load in future.
Thus only ever sleeping your switch when you away from your PC,unless your android phone supports loading payloads

c80

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Say what??? Are you sure?
Definitly. You don't need a hardmod. You only need to ground one pin (e.g. with a jig or a wire, etc.) and something to send the payload via USB (e.g. the TX dongle, a smartphone, a PC, etc) but you don't need to mod the hardware at all. This is the same for all firmwares. Maybe the new Mariko units will need a hardmod because RCM propably won't work with it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

He means you only need to do RCM mode once
No, I meant that you don't need to modify your hardware for the RCM. You can just use a dongle and a jig.

XaneTenshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Tbh I'd use RCM,

He means you only need to do RCM mode once,then use AutoRCM to load in future.
Thus only ever sleeping your switch when you away from your PC,unless your android phone supports loading payloads

Ahh, okay, that makes sense

Not that I know of sorry.With that said,what are you trying to do though?

In terms of updating,I would say the following.

Use RCM mode and load Hekate - CTCaer mod v3.2
Make a full NAND backup,so you get rawnand.bin. Be sure to make backups of BOOT0 and BOOT1 files as well.You can use 7Zip on a Windows PC once you have those files to save space by zipping it.

From there,you can choose to upgrade to 5.1.0 without burning fuses - How to install/run ANY Switch firmware UNOFFICIALLY (WITHOUT burning any fuses)
Before you start that process though,you will need to have your own keys. you can use this guide - How to get Switch Keys for Hactool/XCI Decrypting (you'll need this for the above guide)

That will allow you to upgrade to 5.1.0 with the possibility to go back to 3.0.0 when you want to.
The things to note with this method though is, you'll have to have AutoRCM enabled to avoid burning fuses preventing you from downgrading again (if fuses get burnt you cant downgrade,hence AutoRCM to avoid it).This might be detectable by Nintendo so it could lead to a ban anyway.Best to stay offline and undetected as possible.

But its all about why you want to upgrade

Thanks for the details. I've already seen that thread, just wanted to actually make sure it would work.

As for why I'd like to upgrade, it's like I said in OP, the limitations of being stuck on 3.0 annoys me. I realize that I probably won't be able to play games online even if I do upgrade, which I can accept for now, but because games require different firmware to work, this limits what games I can play, which I can't accept.

It also pisses me off that I can't even add my friends because doing that requires linking my Nintendo account, and that promts me to do a system update. I figured a higher firmware version would resolve at least a couple of these issues

atrocious123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Sorry to hijack the thread but i am on a similar case except that i'm on 4.1.0. Currently i plan on doing the NAND backup just in case but not sure about the process of upgrading without fuses burnt as it seems so difficult/tedious and i am unsure of what 4.1.0 could offer me if i have an SX PRO. anyone got any guidance?

Edit: but firstly i should just use the Hekate mod and get my NAND backup yes? that's the only thing i should do now?

Last edited by atrocious123,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
But....The whole reason I am staying on 3.0 is to NOT have to do the hardmod to enter RCM XD. But if that's the only way to backup my NAND, I guess I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

A couple more questions if you don't mind.

1: Incase I want to update in the future, but don't want to get the newest firmware and/or go online to do it, I can just get a game (Say Mario Kart Deluxe) and use that to update the firmware without going online, right?

2: Say I successfully create a Nand backup of my 3.0 firmware; If I use the above method to update my firmware later, Will I be able to use my Nand backup to downgrade my Switch back to the firmware it was on?
1. Yes, but it's better to update with the method that avoids burning fuses.
2. Only if you do as mentioned in point 1

atrocious123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Your backup will be worthless if you upgrade to 5.x with burning fuses. You have to upgrade without burning fuses to run your restored 4.x NAND backup.

Thanks, so i guess there is not much use for my NAND backup if i dont use the upgrade without burning fuses method.

On a site note, do you know if i can update my games on 4.1.0 without having the latest firmware of 5.1.0?

Opoth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You gonna get banned baby no matter what you do, better just buy a second Switch and leave your main untouched if you care that much

c80

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You gonna get banned baby no matter what you do
Wrong. There are several possibilities to not get banned:
0) don't use hacks at all
1) never go online
2) restore clean NAND backup before going online
3) use emuNAND for hacks and clean sysNAND for online

Option 0 and 1 are 100% safe.
Option 2 and 3 should be 100% safe but its not confirmed yet.
Option 3 is not yet possible.

Reactions: RAGER and Andalitez

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wanted to clarify something and 3.0 does have access to the homebrew launcher via softmods, however one of them has not been released yet but may be released around the time the CFW, Atmosphere, is completed. The other way to launch the homebrew menu without RCM is through PegaSwitch. 3.0 still has access to softmods that firmwares higher than 4.1 have not yet achieved.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y