Hacking Oh god I think I messed up/bricked my friends Wii

Waltharius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can install IOS80 without installing 4.3. It just doesn't do anything as it IS the 4.3 system menu and the boot process will call the last one it knows about.

If IOS80 is installed you should be able to use the DOP-Mii system update to reinstall 4.3. If Priiloader is installed next to IOS80 DOP-Mii will offer to back it up then restore it after everything is updated. I'm not sure if it recognizes Preloader, though.

so are you saying i can install Priiloader from dop-mii?

are you saying i should install IOS80 and possibly Priiloader at the same time?

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
You can try installing IOS80, but according to your report you already have it.

As I mentioned before just try installing IOS60 v6174, since according to your first post your original system menu was v449 (4.1U) Installing IOS60 will not overwrite Preloader, so you dont really have anything to loose

I'm guessing PimpMyWii tried to update your Wii to 4.3U and installed the stubbed IOS60, then installed IOS80, and likely tried to install System Menu 4.3U. However Preloader may have prevented any System Menu update, which means that you might still have System Menu 4.1U but without the correct IOS60 it requires, which would lead to a semi brick.

Last edited by Razor83,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As I mentioned before just try installing IOS60 v6174, since according to your first post your original system menu was v449 (4.1U) Installing IOS60 will not overwrite Preloader, so you dont really have anything to loose

I'm guessing PimpMyWii tried to update your Wii to 4.3U and installed the stubbed IOS60, then installed IOS80, and likely tried to install System Menu 4.3U. However Preloader may have prevented any System Menu update, which means that you might still have System Menu 4.1U but without the correct IOS60 it requires, which would lead to a semi brick.

The console is bricked so if he's going to reinstall the system menu he should reinstall IOS80 first since it's the main SM slot for 4.3.

The goal is to get his console bootable again without making it even more bricked than it is because I don't think he has BootMii as boot2. At least it's in a state now that he can launch things from SD so it's not a lost cause yet. If he overwrites Preloader before he fixes whatever is causing it to fail to boot there will be no way to fix it.

Prii/Preloader only patches the system menu from running updates, so any homebrew app that has AHBPROT access can still do whatever it wants.

EDIT: It looks like DOP-Mii can back up and replace both Priiloader and Preloader during a system menu install so as long as you're using v15 of it then it should be safe to do that.

Last edited by GreyWolf,

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
The console is bricked so if he's going to reinstall the system menu he should reinstall IOS80 first since it's the main SM slot for 4.3.

The goal is to get his console bootable again without making it even more bricked than it is because I don't think he has BootMii as boot2. At least it's in a state now that he can launch things from SD so it's not a lost cause yet. If he overwrites Preloader before he fixes whatever is causing it to fail to boot there will be no way to fix it.

Prii/Preloader only patches the system menu from running updates, so any homebrew app that has AHBPROT access can still do whatever it wants.

EDIT: It looks like DOP-Mii can back up and replace both Priiloader and Preloader during a system menu install so as long as you're using v15 of it then it should be safe to do that.
I dont think you understand what i'm saying - I never mentioned installing any system menu.

I am completely aware that installing a new system menu would result in the loss of preloader, and result in a full brick.

I said to install IOS60 v6174, since thats the IOS that system menu 4.1 relies on (Look at the versions table):-
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu
Since the report shows that IOS60 is missing/stubbed, and the first post said this Wii was using system menu v449 (4.1U) it would make sense to install IOS60. There is no harm in simply installing IOS60.

According to the report IOS80 v6944 is already installed, they can install IOS80 again but I cant see how it would help if the system menu is still in fact 4.1.

Again, I never said install a system menu.

Last edited by Razor83,

Waltharius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ill give it a shot

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried and it said error, please use an ios that supports fake signing

What said that? You mentioned you installed Hermes cIOS (which hasn't actually been required for USB Loader GX for years) so try switching your WAD manager to use that IOS when installing.

Waltharius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What said that? You mentioned you installed Hermes cIOS (which hasn't actually been required for USB Loader GX for years) so try switching your WAD manager to use that IOS when installing.

dop-mii

multi mod manager didnt work. do you have any other apps that you suggest i try?

also on a side not (my problem at the moment has nothing to do with modding) whenever i try to use loader gx to play wii games it always tells me i need hermes. are you saying there is an updated version that doesnt need it?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dop-mii

multi mod manager didnt work. do you have any other apps that you suggest i try?

also on a side not (my problem at the moment has nothing to do with modding) whenever i try to use loader gx to play wii games it always tells me i need hermes. are you saying there is an updated version that doesnt need it?

Yes. It hasn't required Hermes cIOS for like 3-4 years. Check the credits page on your copy. If it says "3.0c" you have the channel version and it will never receive updates anymore. 3.0 r1262 is the current one and can be downloaded from SourceForge here. You have to remove the channel one as they will interfere with each other. There is a forwarder channel that will run the loader from USB/SD that you can use instead.

As for MMM, see if you can select IOS236. It's a common patched IOS you may have installed that can install other WADs.

Waltharius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'll check that out on my wii to see what it says.

but back to the busted wii. multi mod manager would install but it wouldnt load.

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
First download IOS60-64-v6174.wad using NUS Dowloader.
Then load DOP-Mii using IOS36, since thats already been patched according to your report.
Then use DOP-Mii to install IOS60-64-v6174.wad.

Last edited by Razor83,

Waltharius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First download IOS60-64-v6174.wad using NUS Dowloader.
Then load DOP-Mii using IOS36, since thats already been patched according to your report.
Then use DOP-Mii to install IOS60-64-v6174.wad.

ok i downloaded it.

but what do you mean use IOS36 to load dop-mii?

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
ok i downloaded it.

but what do you mean use IOS36 to load dop-mii?
When you start DOP-Mii it asks you which IOS you want to use:-
500x_2010-04-15_235050.jpg

-Select the first option "IOS: 36" (If number 36 is not already selected make sure to change it to 36 using the D-Pad)

-If DOP-Mii asks if you want to use AHBPROT, press "B" to proceed with your selected option.

-Select "IOS, BC, MIOS"

-Select Title-IOS60, and Version-v6174, then press "+" to install.

-Press "(A) Yes" to confirm you want to install IOS60 v6174, then if DOP-Mii asks if you want to apply any patches to this IOS, select "(B) No" for all of them.

-Next you can choose to install IOS60 from the WAD you downloaded earlier, or you can "Download from NUS" if you already connected this Wii to your WiFi connection prior to the brick.

Watch this video from the 1:30 minute mark to get an idea of how to use DOP-Mii, but dont follow what they say:-

Last edited by Razor83,

Waltharius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its giving me errors

checking IOS
36 NOT USABLE
41 NOT USABLE

ERROR NO USEABLE IOSES FOUND TO DOWNGRADE IOS15

EDIT: Wait a minute so is this a downgrade utility?

Last edited by Waltharius,

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
its giving me errors

checking IOS
36 NOT USABLE
41 NOT USABLE

ERROR NO USEABLE IOSES FOUND TO DOWNGRADE IOS15

EDIT: Wait a minute so is this a downgrade utility?
No, it sounds like you didnt follow the instructions exactly.
You must have selected "Install IOS36 (v3351) w/FakeSign"
I said to select the first option which says "IOS" and then change the IOS number to "36" using the D-Pad.

Last edited by Razor83,

Waltharius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it sounds like you didnt follow the instructions exactly.
You must have selected "Install IOS36 (v3351) w/FakeSign"
I said to select the first option which says "IOS" and then change the IOS number to "36" using the D-Pad.

oh i see. yeah ill try again

better be careful about that

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
ok it asks what slot i want to install it in. the default is slot

IOS253
That sounds like you pressed the A and + buttons together to choose the slot, you should have only pressed the + button to install. Otherwise just pick IOS60.
You need to follow the instructions I posted exactly.

At this point I think you should probably give this Wii to someone more experienced to fix, since you seem unsure about what your doing and may end up making it worse.

Waltharius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sounds like you pressed the A and + buttons together to choose the slot, you should have only pressed the + button to install. Otherwise just pick IOS60.
You need to follow the instructions I posted exactly.

At this point I think you should probably give this Wii to someone more experienced to fix, since you seem unsure about what your doing and may end up making it worse.

what happened was i tried to confirm with a gamecube controller and pressed A + R and took me to the next menu. im guessing that was very wrong and i shouldnt be trying stuff like that. im using a gamecube controller since i dont know how to pair the wii mote to the wii in its current state.

you wont have to warn me again. how do i pair a wiimote to wii or is there another way using gamecube etc...?

EDIT: nvm i got it to sync from the system menu error screen

Last edited by Waltharius,

Waltharius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK i tried both booting the IOS directly from the SD Card and from NUS and both return the same thing

NAND CREATEFILE - (-102) PERMISSION DENIED

error! installer returned error code. (-1)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay