Hacking Oh god I think I messed up/bricked my friends Wii

Jack Daniels

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
preloader works as far as i know just not on all systems, if it works it should be enough to run some homebrew, just keep as much as possible offline, since i don't know what is the fail yet... i repaired some wii's before with MMM... try to replace the first ELF file or DOL file with the one from Multi Mod Manager, or dop-mii. put all system wad files (as described before in the wad folder i think it was, or it was on root of the SD-card. if done correct you can install all these system files offline with iether of these apps. you can get these files with nus downloader: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/NUS_Downloader with the option enabled to pack wad. afterwards shutdown wii fully, remove the SD-card and restart the wii... now the wii should work just unmodded ecept for thre's a mod chip wich kills security checks... since i really don't know how these chips work, i rather don't have them... they could overrule the fail safety needed to keep you from altering region for example wich could render your wii bricked.

Waltharius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
try to replace the first ELF file or DOL file with the one from Multi Mod Manager, or dop-mii

what does the first ELF or DOL file mean. I know what those files are but i dont know what you mean by first and what particular file you want me to swap.

Are you saying to swap the boot.DOL file on the root of the card with either the dopemii or MMM DOL file?

put all system wad files (as described before in the wad folder i think it was, or it was on root of the SD-card. if done correct you can install all these system files offline with i ether of these apps. you can get these files with nus downloader

im a little confused about this. So i use the NUS downloader to get the missing system wad files? then i load them to sd card wad folder, then i run....? also how do i know which ones to get?

also, i still have all the files from his sd card saved on my PC but imagine i would want a fresh install. im not supposed to bother with any of the files on that sd card right?

so with NUS downloader, am i downloading system 4.3U?

Last edited by Waltharius,

Naugh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Warning: Make sure to have IOS80 before even trying to install 4.3
(Also there is no need to install 4.3, you could just install 4.1 as long as you keep IOS60 v6174 too)
-
Also, yes put MMM or Dop-Mii boot.dol at the root (/) of your SD card. (Or HBC's boot.elf)

Last edited by Naugh,
Reactions: Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I thought Priiloader had an option to directly launch .DOL foles from the SD? So that would totally bypass the need to launch Homebrew Channel. Just launch DOPMii from Priiloader directly.

Naugh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought Priiloader had an option to directly launch .DOL foles from the SD? So that would totally bypass the need to launch Homebrew Channel. Just launch DOPMii from Priiloader directly.

He is using the old Preloader, not DacoTaco's Priiloader fork.
But I'm quite sure that you could still launch boot.dol files back then.

-

Edit: The system menu and/or IOS wads should be located in: /wad/*.wad (And any other wads you want to install)

For example if you re-install 4.1U:

/boot.dol
/wad/RVL-WiiSystemmenu-v449.wad
/wad/IOS60-64-v6174.wad (Just make sure you've got version 6174)

If you want 4.3U:

/boot.dol
/wad/IOS80-64-v6944.wad (Very important!)
/wad/RVL-WiiSystemmenu-v513.wad

-

Note: The "System Files are Corrupted" message can appear in the case of a banner brick, installing a system menu won't fix this and will remove preloader.

Last edited by Naugh,

Naugh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well while he's in there, he should switch to Priiloader too.
He should probably try to install priiloader then get HBC working before even trying to install a system menu wad file. (Having an unmodified IOS58 would help too)

I wonder... Can you load priiloader.dol (The actual priiloader dol file, not the installer) from preloader? That would be funny.

Last edited by Naugh,
Reactions: Azel and Jayro

Waltharius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He should probably try to install priiloader then get HBC working before even trying to install a system menu wad file. (Having an unmodified IOS58 would help too)

I wonder... Can you load priiloader.dol (The actual priiloader dol file, not the installer) from preloader? That would be funny.

thats a good idea. i guess i should try installing that first and maybe it'll give me better functionality.

first, is there any risk in attempting that? If i get the priiloader.dol file what folder do i put it in so the Wii will recognize it.

Im getting excited over here thanks guys :)

Naugh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was mosly rambling...

I wanted you to load priiloader from preloader but that probably won't even work.

You should try to install the latest unmodified version of IOS58 because a lot of newer homebrews use it and disable AHBPROT.

Last edited by Naugh,

Waltharius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The system menu and/or IOS wads should be located in: /wad/*.wad (And any other wads you want to install)

For example if you re-install 4.1U:

/boot.dol
/wad/RVL-WiiSystemmenu-v449.wad
/wad/IOS60-64-v6174.wad (Just make sure you've got version 6174)

If you want 4.3U:

/boot.dol
/wad/IOS80-64-v6944.wad (Very important!)
/wad/RVL-WiiSystemmenu-v513.wad

Note: The "System Files are Corrupted" message can appear in the case of a banner brick, installing a system menu won't fix this and will remove preloader.

Ok so on the root i need either MMM or dopemii BOOT.dol or the HBC .ELF file

then create a wad folder and add RVL-WiiSystemmenu-v449.wad
in that same wad folder i assume, i need to add RVL-WiiSystemmenu-v513.wad

is that correct?

I was mosly rambling...

I wanted you to load priiloader from preloader but that probably won't even work.

You should try to install the latest unmodified version of IOS58 because a lot of newer homebrews use it and disable AHBPROT.

ah man got my hopes up lol

alright so then i also need IOS58? Are you saying to install that after i do the other things or during? Also what does AHBPROT mean? I assume its some kind of acronym for Anti Hombrew Protection.......R....O....T.....?

what does that mean?

Naugh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Advanced High-Performance Bus Protection access, it just give you permissions without relying on an IOS bug/exploit. (The very old bugged IOS36 trick for example)

Just get the priiloader installer and try to install it.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Priiloader

Unpack the zip file, then go in apps/priiloader and copy the boot.dol to the root of you fat32 formatted SD card.

Finally run Preloader (by pressing reset) and install the boot.dol file from there.

Last edited by Naugh,

Waltharius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Advanced High-Performance Bus Protection access, it just give you permissions without relying on an IOS bug/exploit. (The very old bugged IOS36 trick for example)

Just get the priiloader installer and try to install it.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Priiloader

Unpack the zip file, then go in apps/priiloader and copy the boot.dol to the root of you fat32 formatted SD card.

Finally run Preloader (by pressing reset) and install the boot.dol file from there.

and what about the part of my post? is my assessment correct?

Informix23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Watch this video
Or
Make a new nand with ohneschwanzenegger tool I bricked my wii :rofl2: and I google and find this tool to make a new nand now my wii is like new :yaywii:

You must boot the wii with bootmii

Waltharius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm pretty sure they all told you all there is to know, just i suggest to get the system files reinstalled first...

Naugh's solution should get you to a bootable state.

yeah im pretty sure what he suggested is correct. i just want confirmation that my assessment of what he told me is correct. i just need a yes or no

Ok so on the root i need either MMM or dopemii BOOT.dol or the HBC .ELF file

then create a wad folder and add RVL-WiiSystemmenu-v449.wad
in that same wad folder i assume, i need to add RVL-WiiSystemmenu-v513.wad

is that correct?

So is that correct?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?