Hacking Official "Will Xenoblade Chronicles 3D work on Gateway or Sky?" Thread

Ralph1611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just have to say how stupid could Nintendo be? I get that they introduced new keys and encryption but their first n3ds exclusive is playable without any modifications....did you guys not think to buy a sky3ds or gateway to block us out Nintendo? Keep that mentality up

They were dumb enough to have exploitable US n3ds XLs. Their level of stupidity knows no bounds.

I wouldnt be surprised if Emunand was blocked by accident and the mistake will be corrected next update.

motezazer

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I just have to say how stupid could Nintendo be? I get that they introduced new keys and encryption but their first n3ds exclusive is playable without any modifications....did you guys not think to buy a sky3ds or gateway to block us out Nintendo? Keep that mentality up

Xenoblade uses the N3DS-only 9.3 keys, that are generated and that Gateway includes so we can launch it.
However, the 9.6 keys (that were too recent to be included in Xenoblade) are secure and might never be generated (it's why we can't get 9.6 emuNAND on New 3DS)

EDIT : Before you ask me, I used might because if we manage to dump bootrom, we could generate every key.
Also if we found an ARM9 exploit on 9.6, we can USE 9.6 keys (without knowing their actual value).
However, in that case, Nintendo can just fix the flaw and change the keys.

upfromtheskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Maybe they don't care because the percent of 3ds users with flash carts is small? If the amount of money spent to stop flash cart use is greater than the amount of money lost from piracy, then there's no reason for them to try and stop it.

Reactions: cearp

caffolote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xenoblade uses the N3DS-only 9.3 keys, that are generated and that Gateway includes so we can launch it.
However, the 9.6 keys (that were too recent to be included in Xenoblade) are secure and might never be generated (it's why we can't get 9.6 emuNAND on New 3DS)

EDIT : Before you ask me, I used might because if we manage to dump bootrom, we could generate every key.
Also if we found an ARM9 exploit on 9.6, we can USE 9.6 keys (without knowing their actual value).
However, in that case, Nintendo can just fix the flaw and change the keys.

Do you think Gateway will release 9.4 SYSNAND support soon?

motezazer

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Against Sky3DS? How would they do that?

Speed checks.
Sky3DS speed is different than the one of an original cartridge.
They could also implant (they will, as the bigger threat, GW, is now blocked definitively on New 3DS) these checks into the OS. So if you are in firmware X.X (most likely 10.0), Sky3DS might boot, but the OS will check the speed and kill process if it's not good enough.

caffolote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speed checks.
They could also implant (they will, as the bigger threat, GW, is now blocked definitively on New 3DS) these checks into the OS. So if you are in firmware X.X (most likely 10.0), Sky3DS might boot, but the OS will check the speed and kill process if it's not good enough.

That is pretty scary. I guess time will tell. Are you watching the Nintendo Direct later today? Maybe they might announce another N3DS exclusive

motezazer

Trophies
XP
Country
France
They could require online registration for each game before allowing them to be played, that would stop all piracy, unless people were content with only playing old games on old firmware and having no online access.

I don't think they will, knowing Nintendo. My theory sounds better (and I have actual proofs this is possible)

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could they add 9.6 key requirement to the update 1.1 patch? Seems like they could do anything with a patch, has anyone installed it yet?

motezazer

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Could they add 9.6 key requirement to the update 1.1 patch? Seems like they could do anything with a patch, has anyone installed it yet?

The patch can't change the crypto (it would as big as the original game).
But the patch can be encrypted itself with the new crypto, who knows.

NintendoFan3DS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Speed checks.

do u know how someone can dump update to xenoblade if gw does not support 9.6?
i think access to eshop must be on newest (9.6) sysnand... so this could be impossible for now

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speed checks.
It's too early to say they have blocked Gateway definitely. Sure 9.6 EmuNAND is not supported, but once Gateway breaks the encryption, hello 9.6 EmuNAND. I mean, it was the same back when EmuNAND support was first announced and released. They broke through the previous encryption and so we had EmuNAND.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Going to smoke a bowl, eat pizza, drink a beer, and watch I Saw the TV Glow.