Oculus Rift pre-orders now open - $599, April 2016

rift-desktop.jpg

The consumer version of the Oculus Rift is now available for pre-order at $599 (USD).

Units are expected to start shipping in April 2016 and each unit comes with the Oculus Rift headset, a wireless Xbox One controller and two games - Lucky's Tale and EVE: Valkyrie. The much touted Oculus Touch controllers will be sold separately at a later date.

What do you think of the price? Are you jumping into the Oculus Rift or waiting to see what the other companies, such as Sony and HTC have in store with their own versions of VR? Or are you simply not interested? Let us know in the comments below.

:arrow: Source (official site)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
$599 is a lot of money for this. They said the consumer release would have a similar price to the devkits, but this is almost double.
It's not as expensive as it sounds, due to all the extras included, but those are things I don't need and I would honestly rather buy it by itself, or at least with just the games. I have enough controllers already.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I swear, the more posts I read in this thread the more I'm convinced most of you have no idea what it is you're actually paying for. It's like you guys think this is just some piece of plastic with a couple screens attached, when in actuality it's a piece of plastic with 2 OLED, 2k combined resolution, 90hz, 2ms response time screens with integrated 3D audio headphones and hella expensive and insanely accurate motion tracking systems (plus the whatever junk included in the bundle nobody probably cares about).

Look at it this way, it's probably cheaper to buy an Oculus Rift than it is to buy a decent gaming monitor with similar specs.

I'm not saying it's not stupid expensive or anything, because it is and I (as well as most others apparently) could never spend this much for an early VR peripheral, it's just that anyone who expected it to be half the price or whatever are people who just don't really know what it is they're getting. According to the founders the OR isn't even profitable at it's current price because of how stupid expensive it was to make, counting both R&D and production costs.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I swear, the more posts I read in this thread the more I'm convinced most of you have no idea what it is you're actually paying for. It's like you guys think this is just some piece of plastic with a couple screens attached, when in actuality it's a piece of plastic with 2 OLED, 2k combined resolution, 90hz, 2ms response time screens with integrated 3D audio headphones and hella expensive and insanely accurate motion tracking systems (plus the whatever junk included in the bundle nobody probably cares about).

Look at it this way, it's probably cheaper to buy an Oculus Rift than it is to buy a decent gaming monitor with similar specs.

I'm not saying it's not stupid expensive or anything, because it is and I (as well as most others apparently) could never spend this much for an early VR peripheral, it's just that anyone who expected it to be half the price or whatever are people who just don't really know what it is they're getting. According to the founders the OR isn't even profitable at it's current price because of how stupid expensive it was to make, counting both R&D and production costs.
I'm still not going to buy it for that price lol :bortz2:

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No thanks. I'll keep my amazing $10 Google Cardboard-Compatible eBay VR Glasses that work with my phone.

nintendarium

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country

You are wrong thinking people here is not counting tech costs behind oculus , but still it's clear they will keep 500+ price tag ARTIFICIALLY , i have a lot of respect for early adopters but they will pay at least more than 150$ plus than popular price and mostly they will regret this when ViVe and PSVR will come out

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
You are wrong thinking people here is not counting tech costs behind oculus , but still it's clear they will keep 500+ price tag ARTIFICIALLY , i have a lot of respect for early adopters but they will pay at least more than 150$ plus than popular price and mostly they will regret this when ViVe and PSVR will come out
Based on what, exactly? The PSVR might be cheaper, sure, but that's because it's going to be a lot lower quality and their motion tracking won't be nearly as accurate as the Vive or the Rift. It's still going to cost a lot, at least $400, and probably more when you consider you're going to need a PS Camera and they're trying to let the PS4 display video to both the PSVR and the TV.

The Vive, however, will more than likely be priced just as much as the OR based on what HTC's marketing director said, since they consider it a "premium" VR peripheral.

nintendarium

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Based on what, exactly? The PSVR might be cheaper, sure, but that's because it's going to be a lot lower quality and their motion tracking won't be nearly as accurate as the Vive or the Rift. It's still going to cost a lot, at least $400, and probably more when you consider you're going to need a PS Camera and they're trying to let the PS4 display video to both the PSVR and the TV.

The Vive, however, will more than likely be priced just as much as the OR based on what HTC's marketing director said, since they consider it a "premium" VR peripheral.
On planet Earth a normal console controller costs you 60$ .
If the case vive price is 800$ still they offer better value for the price than a full oculus set with accessory controllers .
But
If vive knowing already the price of oculus gonna cut at 700 many oculus early adopters will regret buying oculus surely.
On psvr side if they actually price it bundle with move at 600$ people still will prefer it to oculus since ps4 price cut is in their minds adding value to the deal already knowing Sony gonna support the system with exclusives, and developers will benefit standard platform and less demanding specs means also they have excuse to point more on gameplay than tech this means less risky and less money to spend on project with a possible 20 millions users out there.
In the case Sony could bundle a slim ps4 with psvr later this year to populize even more the psvr.
Still they can margin a profit at 700$ while i doubt oculus users will be enough to justify for a price cut this Xmas

Last edited by nintendarium,

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neat, though I'll hold off a few years. New tech is always expensive and a bit clunky the first few years. In probably around five or six years I'll look to see if there's a more streamlined and cheaper option for PC.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I expected it to be around this sort of price. This is the price you would expect for early adopting cutting edge tech. When was the last time you saw some brand new high end technology thing that didn't have a high entry point cost? When the market has more VR devices and there is more competition down the road expect the cost to be slashed.

Also people comparing things like the samsung gear VR to this are retarded by the way. Not only are you totally ignoring the fact that you need a £500 phone attached to the thing but the quality and functionality of the devices cannot be compared.

nintendarium

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I expected it to be around this sort of price. This is the price you would expect for early adopting cutting edge tech. When was the last time you saw some brand new high end technology thing that didn't have a high entry point cost? When the market has more VR devices and there is more competition down the road expect the cost to be slashed.

Also people comparing things like the samsung gear VR to this are retarded by the way. Not only are you totally ignoring the fact that you need a £500 phone attached to the thing but the quality and functionality of the devices cannot be compared.
This , Samsung vr is there just as entry point , just for wow effect .
Most of fake nerds will buy that thing only to show to their casual friends how nerdy they are (ala big bang theory).XD.
But if Samsung decides that vr is a thing for them they can count on that as a good referral marketing for a vr2 more serious .
Is a toy but not to underestimate ... If enough users Samsung will not let them to migrate to oculus ...

Margen67

Dirty entited pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did they say they were aiming for $299?
There was even a bunch of rumors saying the retail version could launch for for $199 to push vr into households and developers
No one is gonna buy this for $600, and when you need a high end computer to run this anyway just makes it worse
lol what were you expecting to be able to run it on? A 300$ prebuilt/laptop? :P

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I will if oculus rift persuade old retro studio employees to get back and make a new vr metroid for the nx.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The first version of a technology only gives you bragging rights, rarely functionality. Once the competition starts releasing and the price starts normaliing, then the good upgrades and updates will start to surface....that's the time to buy! ^_^

A properly configured PC combined with a good smart device and a Google Cardboard viewer with a screen share program will get you the same effect for way less money!

Personally, I'm more excited about HoloLens than I am about Oculus!
Their kit was 5 times the price.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Facebook really ruins everything. It was just sony and oculus back then and we may get minecraft from notch or that notch will not leave mojang, but now everyone gets into the game and minecraft are purchased by microsoft.
Really nice job, facebook.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer