Hacking Noob Starter Guide

john1010_ma

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks to the above poster for bumping this thread back to existence. I feel like shafuing the mod who removed this from the stickies. I have relied on this guide whenever I need a refresher.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
john1010_ma said:
Thanks to the above poster for bumping this thread back to existence. I feel like shafuing the mod who removed this from the stickies. I have relied on this guide whenever I need a refresher.

It was a supervisor actually, and the Wii Hacking board was a mess, only one guide is needed.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
deanxxczx said:
john1010_ma said:

It was a supervisor actually, and the Wii Hacking board was a mess, only one guide is needed.
Better off generally calling them staff anyway; that term covers all bases.

So, the Wii section was being refreshed, like the PSP section then?

john1010_ma

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
nabster92 said:
Out of curiosity, what does shafuing entail?

means "fxxxing" but in a more gamer appropriate manner. A term i heard used in cheapassgamer forums when one is highly pissed with someone like how i'm pissed with this certain mod or supervisior or staff for making the search of this thread even more difficult.

Thank you again for the great article.

john1010_ma

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I have been trying to avoid doing a restoremii to restore my Nand but had to do one recently bcoz of a faulty dop-ios Syscheck (b4 lunatik gave a fix). So this question has been bugging me: After a Nand restore, does it "degrade" the Wii in anyway? Sorry to ask but bad experience with Window's Restore feature has given me the generalized feeling that a restore on a Wii won't make it like how it used to be.

nabster92

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
john1010_ma said:
I have been trying to avoid doing a restoremii to restore my Nand but had to do one recently bcoz of a faulty dop-ios Syscheck (b4 lunatik gave a fix). So this question has been bugging me: After a Nand restore, does it "degrade" the Wii in anyway? Sorry to ask but bad experience with Window's Restore feature has given me the generalized feeling that a restore on a Wii won't make it like how it used to be.

It should write everything back to exactly how it was when you made the backup. It's possible that something may not have fully written properly, but you should be able to just try restoring it again to see if it did. It shouldn't really write anything the second time you try since I believe it checks for anything different between what's on the NAND and on the backup and just writes the differences.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
john1010_ma said:
Running the SysCheck of DOP-IOS MOD v11.5 will fix the channels.
Can't you launch HBC with bootmii or preloader
Or launch DOP-IOS MOD with bannerbomb

ASTEROTH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I gotta say... I am not such a noob at wii now.... thanks to you! I do desire to not brick my wii, so I figured I would write you all a note. I have done the bootmii and nand backup. Added the trucha bug. But now I wish to stop for a while to absorb the information I have already been reading for days now.... When I got my wii for christmas, I was broke and hungry.... So I almost put it in a pawn shop in the unopened box. Glad I didn't before I tryed the bowling on wii sports disc first. Then I started looking around and found this forum as a result. Then I saw what wii was. Through your efforts, I can pop bubbles in a new channel called homebrew. Hours of fun! LOL Now I just want to ask for help in brick protection before I go crazy with dop mod. I have read all instructions and have read several.... prolly not even close to all link messages in my travels.... I am just a little confused about what to do next.... I saw zxzero's tut and didn't want to go to 4.1 as I am 4.0 and scared to brick mii. My QUESTION is can you make a simler package for noobs to have all files and apps and wads in a torrent file.... numbered and listed for ease of use. Let the step by step be a rarred document...... And GOD DAMN GLAD TO FIND YA GUYS AND GALS!

ASTEROTH

ASTEROTH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HEY eeee developer..... wouldge ya make an anti brick app... something that sees an error being made. a new app pleezzeee
thankz

Devil May Cry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I got a question about the NUSD mentioned in the Trucha Bug Restorer section. I'm up to this point (thanks for the info BTW) and I'm waiting till I can get my WEP key again. I was wondering if NUSD comes with the Trucha Bug Restorer or is it something I need to install/make a channel.

Thanks again guys. This site has helped me with NDS and PS2 modding and helped with PSP questions. Glad to add the Wii to my collection. Can't wait to add the Xbox and Xbox 360 too.

nabster92

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Devil May Cry said:
Hey guys, I got a question about the NUSD mentioned in the Trucha Bug Restorer section. I'm up to this point (thanks for the info BTW) and I'm waiting till I can get my WEP key again. I was wondering if NUSD comes with the Trucha Bug Restorer or is it something I need to install/make a channel.

Thanks again guys. This site has helped me with NDS and PS2 modding and helped with PSP questions. Glad to add the Wii to my collection. Can't wait to add the Xbox and Xbox 360 too.

I'll say it again don't use this to actually follow when you're modding your wii. The other guide in the stickies have easier packages to do everything set up for you. Just read through this to get an understanding of everything.

Anyways, NUSD isn't a Wii application. It's a PC application you can use to download legit/official IOS/system menu wad's and such so that you can install them with wad manager or put them in whatever folder some other application would need it depending on what you're doing.

The Trucha Bug Restorer just uses some IOS wad's from the root of the SD card if you want to do an offline installation but you can also just have the TBR download the IOS's it needs automatically if you're connected to the internet.

But again, the apps posted in xzxero's guide are a bit more up to date and easier to use so just finish reading this and go use that guide.

bentbob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes Im a noob, a confused noob, there is so much to take in, Im not quiet sure where to being.

Lets say I went down to the store today and bought a Wii and wanted to softmod it.

1) I guess it would be 4.2? If so I would use bannerbombv2, does that sound right?

2) And lets say that I wanted to use a HD loader (they might be called a USB loader) there seems to be quiet a few
which one would I use?

3) And is that it? that would let me load Wii games from a USB Hard drive? Is there anything that Im missing?

Over the past few days Ive read several guides and the more I read the more it seems I get confused, as some are clear then some guides
will counter what the first or other guide says.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bentbob said:
Yes Im a noob, a confused noob, there is so much to take in, Im not quiet sure where to being.

Lets say I went down to the store today and bought a Wii and wanted to softmod it.

1) I guess it would be 4.2? If so I would use bannerbombv2, does that sound right? Yes

2) And lets say that I wanted to use a HD loader (they might be called a USB loader) there seems to be quiet a few
which one would I use? It's your choice of which loader you use you can try them all and use which one you like best

3) And is that it? that would let me load Wii games from a USB Hard drive? Is there anything that Im missing? Just follow the sticky'd guide at the top of the forum and you can't go wrong. You'll have everything needed to play games from Hdd

Over the past few days Ive read several guides and the more I read the more it seems I get confused, as some are clear then some guides
will counter what the first or other guide says.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

bentbob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for the quick answer
smile.gif
Ive been wanting to do this since my other Wii went on the fritz, and the local guy who does the softmodding charges
a whopping $75
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SMG4
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    SMG4 @ SMG4: hi