FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Munson_Jason08 said:
when using an external hard drive do i have to format it to FAT/FAT32 or can i just leave it in NTFS?
You can leave it in NTFS, it's fully compatible with the latest usb loaders.

Munson_Jason08

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok thanks. another question when i start homebrew with my external hard drive it doesnt show any of my apps that are in my apps folder? can ya help?

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Munson_Jason08 said:
ok thanks. another question when i start homebrew with my external hard drive it doesnt show any of my apps that are in my apps folder? can ya help?
The homebrew channel doesn't support NTFS, why aren't you using a SD card to boot the homebrew an your HDD for the games?

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Munson_Jason08 said:
i am i was just wondering if it would work with HDD.

why when i put my games on my HDD do the all turn out black and white?
You must set the video mode to your default one in the loader.

M.Prower

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Donkey Plonk said:
Do the same, people are sure to tell you as they want to sell their item and you've taken interest
Good advice, though that doesn't help I don't understand how to read the chart. >_<

What I do know, is that Wii's made pre-launch to about April or so of 2008 should both have DVD drives capable of reading DVD-R's and also the original boot1 allowing boot2 to be modified. One thing I determined was that if a console has data on the message board from pre-april 08 it's more than likely to be good for what I want as long as the date wasn't set wrong when it was used or the message board wasn't cleared. Problem is, I need to power the console on to see the message board.

If someone could explain to me a bit more about how to read that serial number chart, combined with your advice... That might just work for the most part. I can't really say I'm looking for a Wii pre-date XXXX because unless they have a receipt theirs no way to be sure because they could just say they did to make the sale like you said.

Point being, I am looking for a replacement Wii with a DVD drive capable of reading DVD's and one of the main boards with the modifiable boot2 so it can have BootMii installed correctly. Are the DVD drives on Wii's perfectly interchangeable? I know on XBOX 360's they aren't. If you have a DVD drive from one 360 and swap it into another one, even if both drives are in perfect working order, you get a hardware error. Maybe theirs a place to buy Wii DVD drives alone that can read DVD's? I looked on eBay, but I don't know what I'm looking for, because none of them say anything about reading backup discs.

lbbooga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am thinking of installing the homebrew channel on my wii, but I saw all this stuff about cIOSes and IOSes. I got MODmii for windows and downloaded everything I needed, I just want to wait till I know what those things are. If anyone has an answer I would gladly appreciate it.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lbbooga said:
I am thinking of installing the homebrew channel on my wii, but I saw all this stuff about cIOSes and IOSes. I got MODmii for windows and downloaded everything I needed, I just want to wait till I know what those things are. If anyone has an answer I would gladly appreciate it.
ModMii would have downloaded a few things. Some type of exploit, which you use to install the homebrew channel, usually a save game, and the cIOSs and possibly some IOSs, and other optional apps like a USB loader.

I'm assuming you want to know what the cIOSs and IOSs are. This has already been answered several times:
QUOTE(kylster @ Dec 22 2010, 06:50 PM)an IOS is what the wii runs everything off of like system menu 4.1 uses IOS60, 4.2=IOS70 & 4.3=IOS80. IOS are also universal so it doesnt matter if your console is from UK GERMANY ENGLAND CHINA USA it's all the same IOS.

cIOS are Custom IOS which typically have a base IOS that is patched. For instance the new cIOSX x=any base IOS is just a patched version of that IOS into a another slot typically above 200+.

So that's basicly it. The wii uses an IOS to run GameCube, CD Drive, Sytem Menu, etc... and all the cIOS are is just a modified version of one of these IOS installed into another slot; the wii supports upto 254 IOS. IOS249/250 are usually reserved for Waninkoko cIOS while 254 is reserved for Bootmii IOS and 236 your backup for IOS36. You can however install a IOS or cIOS with a MAX revision number so in case your console get updated by accident the said c/IOS will not be overwritten seeing as the wii cannot overwrite or delete an IOS or cIOS with a higher revision number then what an offical update is trying to install. I hope this helps but this is a basic rundown.

It may also be wise to Trucha Bug your System Menu IOS so you can play VC WW games from sd card
smile.gif
but this method is rather not recommended seeing as your can just run Triiforce or boot them through your USB Loader.
I hope that answers your question.

In short:
IOS=What the wii runs everything off of (games, apps, system menu)
cIOS=Modified IOS which allows for things normally blocked by regular IOSs (like running backups, or installing wads)

TerryG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few weeks back I started playing around with mighty channels. In order to get it to work I had to install cios38r17 which broke CFG. Installing rev21 fixes CFG, but breaks mighty channels. According to CFG I don't have IOS245, 246, 247 or 248 installed. I have looked around and tried a few different things and can't figure out how to install r17 to one of those slots and point mighty channels to it, unless I'm thinking wrong and that won't even work.

Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm pretty stuck.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you can use the advanced downloads in modmii to install it to any slot, but im not sure if you can change the slot for mighty channels. You could however install the latest cios to 248 or 250 and use that in config

daiuf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
steveg78 said:
noob here .whos gonna help me .... i got 4.3E and im in the middle off the bathax
biggrin.gif
i just installed the HBC and now i dont know what todo
frown.gif
what i mean is i have got an option to install bootmii...
what is boot me apart from makeing ur wii almost brick proof also should i instal it ? what one do i instal ? options are instal bootmii as boot2 or instal bootmii as IOS ????? not sure what to do now help please
smile.gif
no mumbo jumbo just straight instructions would be GD

Use Modmii it does EVERYTHING for you and makes a user friendly guide.

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Say I get one of the newer Wiis with the D3-2 disc drive or whatever it's called (I'll be going for an older one, but just in case), mod it and unlock the region lock. It's a US Wii. Can I play a legal copy of a JPN GCN title on it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you @BigOnYa ??