Hardware Non-removable battery? WTF

Banny33

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slightly related, is there anyway to confirm that it is the battery that is faulty without effecting the warrenty?

mushra

Asgard
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The non-removable battery argument seems to get strong in the event that the factory battery is as worthless as it is on the Vita and such.
: 3 kinda like how Freaksloan`s thread got overtaken by Codezer b/c of the whole hardcore gamer doesn`t have long enough battery to play his/her game~.
Man I`d kill for codezer`s free time >_< with Persona 4, A. Creed, PSP iso that I ripped just to get the awesome OLCD screen+ extra analog, I`ve yet to have a day where my fully charged vita would die from over use. Hell I even got a bluetooth headset always with my vita (I love wireless headsets) I am not giving you the whole "you don`t got a life" crap but I am hella jealous of your free time. If you are not married then stay like that if you want to keep your free time but if you are.....you might want to think real carefully with your reply >_> some of you guys know why.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More like, to use it as intended really calls for a better battery than what Sony chose to provide from the factory.

In the case of the 3DS, the extended battery I have on it at least allows me to go a full day with the wireless on for its purposes, and play games, and usually lasts me the whole day so I can get home, plug it in and have it charge to full again.

With the PSP, even OPM at the time had to admit that using the original PSP UMD's for movies meant you'd barely be able to watch the whole movie on a single charge, while ripping said movie and playing from the memory stick nearly tripled your time.

If doing something "illegitimate" ends up netting that kind of gains in battery life compared to doing it how you want your customers to do it, THAT is a significant design problem, and only furthered to why I'd only touch a modded system now.

Reactions: Count Duckula

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I shocked to hell by the reactions in this thread! Seriously people would buy a phone w/o a removable battery and w/o a memory card slot? WTH? I would have to think long and hard about buying a phone w/o a removable battery and have to come up with some serious justifications in buying it.

No memory card on the other hand is definitely a deal breaker unless the phone has like 32gb or higher available storage. Even then I would have to justify buying such a phone because phones with high built-in stoarge tend to be very pricey

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Long-live non-existant issues. If your battery dies during the warranty period, you send your PSVita to Sony and bam, you have a new battery. If it dies after the warranty is void, you just take off the rear plate and replace the battery which is not welded onto the unit, it's connected with a simple plug. There are OEM PSVita batteries available for purchase online and those batteries can be replaced - it's just that the rear plate is not "easily removable", as in, "the process requires a screwdriver".

This is a minor annoyance, not a dealbreaker.

Reactions: Rydian

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Long-live non-existant issues. If your battery dies during the warranty period, you send your PSVita to Sony and bam, you have a new battery. If it dies after the warranty is void, you just take off the rear plate and replace the battery which is not welded onto the unit, it's connected with a simple plug. There are OEM PSVita batteries available for purchase online and those batteries can be replaced - it's just that the rear plate is not "easily removable", as in, "the process requires a screwdriver".
This is a minor annoyance, not a dealbreaker.

huh? Then how does replacing the battery void the warranty? This seems like illgeal shit sony should get sued for then.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
huh? Then how does replacing the battery void the warranty? This seems like illgeal shit sony should get sued for then.
The battery of the PSVita is an internal component - by choosing to open a factory-sealed device you void the warranty and take all the responsibility for any damage you may cause. This is not illegal nor weird, in fact, it applies to all electronic device with an internal battery. If you have to open the device fully to expose the battery, it should be obvious as to why replacing the battery voids the warranty.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The battery of the PSVita is an internal component - by choosing to open a factory-sealed device, you take all the responsibility for any damage you may cause. This is not illegal nor weird, in fact, it applies to all electronic device with an integrated battery.

Sounds very illegal to me and very weird. This is the same as saying if I remove my 3DS or GBA Sp battery cover I void their warranties. The only difference is the vita's battery has a plug. GTOH Sony. And people supporting this type of anti-consumer behavior should be shot.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds very illegal to me and very weird. This is the same as saying if I remove my 3DS or GBA Sp battery cover I void their warranties. The only difference is the vita's battery has a plug. GTOH Sony. And people supporting this type of anti-consumer behavior should be shot.

PC's used to have stickers on then "Warranty void if seal is broken" that was determined to be illegal as adding RAM and Hard drives to a PC is seen as something anyone with half a brain can pull off...

Sounds like replacing the Vita's battery should be in the same boat if you ask me.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. I'm saying it sounded illegal for them to void your warranty for simply opening a battery compartment. But has snail's post shows you have to actually take the unit apart.

Foxi's original reply made it seem like they had a not so hidden battery compartment. Foxi's the one who used the term "rear plate", which I argue is wrong. You're not removing a plate, your purposely splitting the unit into two pieces. Thus brings me back to my original point of, needing to really think about buying a device w/o a user removable battery.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't see how you'd change out the battery without having to go through circuitry (Back touch panel.). It's not like Sony said "Oh ho guys, listen. Guys, guys. Listen. What if. Listen. We make it so people can't change out the battery? :D". There's honestly no way to change it without opening the Vita up fully. And I'd support said actions from Sony on the warranty because if you were to screw something up opening the Vita to replace the battery there's not a chance in hell I'm fixing it for you.

Shoot me.

Reactions: porkiewpyne

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't see how you'd change out the battery without having to go through circuitry (Back touch panel.). It's not like Sony said "Oh ho guys, listen. Guys, guys. Listen. What if. Listen. We make it so people can't change out the battery? :D". There's honestly no way to change it without opening the Vita up fully. And I'd support said actions from Sony on the warranty because if you were to screw something up opening the Vita to replace the battery there's not a chance in hell I'm fixing it for you.

The touch panel could of been made as a easy plug into slot thing with the battery sitting right under it. I could be wrong, but aren't touch pads on laptops are very thin components.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what it already is, the problem isn't how thin it is it's the face it goes on the outside shell. The rear touch panel is only connected by a single ribbon cable. Still don't want you touched that cable if I were Sony. Ribbon cable rips, and I ain't replacing it.

If you noticed the 3DS battery has no ribbon cables, or any other cables to boot. Same went for the PSPs. (This instance for handhelds.)

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm saying there is no need for the ribbon cable with todays tech. it should just plugin in a like a modular part. My belief is if sony wanted the battery user replaceable there is nothing stopping them for making vitas with the ability.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS shouldn't use a ribbon cable for it's screens either since we're so high tech, but sadly they have them. Every console should have Blu Ray since we're so advanced.

Sony would have had to gone out of their way to make the battery replaceable. Just for the small amount of users that would change out the battery? I don't even see a say to implement change the battery without touching anything but the battery. (Main point. If you touch anything but the battery there's the potential to break it. Potential to break means break, and break means try to get Sony to repair/replace it via warranty. There's no reason why they'd go out of their way to make it so you can't replace the battery without voiding the warranty and there's no reason why they should go out of their way to make it so it can be replaced. Assuming that there's a way.)

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I shocked to hell by the reactions in this thread! Seriously people would buy a phone w/o a removable battery and w/o a memory card slot? WTH? I would have to think long and hard about buying a phone w/o a removable battery and have to come up with some serious justifications in buying it.

No memory card on the other hand is definitely a deal breaker unless the phone has like 32gb or higher available storage. Even then I would have to justify buying such a phone because phones with high built-in stoarge tend to be very pricey
How many people do you know with iPhones?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think what he's saying is that it would be a deceptive practice on Sony's part to then refuse to honor the warranty on account of any issues that would necessitate replacing the battery as an end-user.

Not to mention we all know Sony charges exhorbitant rates for the privilege, and you never get your device back, or even a new one in the event that the unit suffered a catastrophic failure (like the GPU failure PS3 #3 for me did).

It would be akin to the two class-action lawsuits filed against Sony (that, to my understanding, they lost ) on account of engineering PS2's to be so weak and faulty in the first place.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No. I'm saying it sounded illegal for them to void your warranty for simply opening a battery compartment. But has snail's post shows you have to actually take the unit apart.

Foxi's original reply made it seem like they had a not so hidden battery compartment. Foxi's the one who used the term "rear plate", which I argue is wrong. You're not removing a plate, your purposely splitting the unit into two pieces. Thus brings me back to my original point of, needing to really think about buying a device w/o a user removable battery.
I used the term rear plate because it's a plate that's on the rear of the system. If I meant "battery compartment cover" I probably would've said just that - battery compartment cover.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: