Non-authorized third party Xbox controllers and accessories soon to be blocked

controllers.png

From November 12th, Microsoft promises to block third party accessories that are not authorized by the company from being used on the Xbox, on an unprecedented anti-competitive move. This restriction includes game controllers.

Some current unauthorized accessory users have been receiving the following warning:

A connected accessory is not authorized. Using unauthorized accessories compromises your gaming experience. For this reason, the unauthorized accessory will be blocked from use on 11/12/2023.

For help returning it, check with the store it came from or contact the manufacturer. To see authorized accessories, go to
www.xbox.com/accessories. (0x82d60002).

Brook Gaming, a manufacturer of third party controller adapters and fight sticks, put out an official statement regarding the upcoming change, and are looking for solutions to keep their products working on Xbox consoles.

A list of authorized accessories can be found on the official Xbox accessory page--most of which are specifically wired gamepads. Going forward, brands will need to have a specific chip and authorization from Microsoft itself to function as an official wireless accessory on Xbox systems.

:arrow: Source

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Looks like all 8BitDo compatible controllers will stop working then and users will have to buy "authorized" low quality crap ones (coff, coff, PowerA and alikes).

Nice move MicroSucks, "awesome" gaming experience for your more and more limited gamebase.

Another reason not to buy anything xbox related stuff... checked.

Who's next sunny?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Cool.. Considering most third party controllers are authorized, this makes a lot of sense.
Apparently this affects Brooks boards, which are some of the most common ones used in fight pads and arcade sticks. Hopefully they overshot by mistake and will add more controllers to the exception list soon, because this seems like a really egregious unforced error otherwise. They'll end up pushing even more potential customers to other platforms.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What? Microsoft pulling another anticompetitive stunt out of their collective asses? Must be a regular Monday.

I'm surprised they didn't just monetize it. Sorry you'll now need an active gamepass gold subscription in order to use third-party accessories.

Glad I still haven't bought any of the current gen consoles.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"unauthorized accessories compromises your gaming experience"

Not being able to use my controller compromises my gaming experience exponentially more

I don't know why anyone still buys gaming consoles in this day and age - buy a PC and stop supporting these jokers

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
OP
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Didnt microsoft just get OUT of an anti-consumer lawsuit?

Dunno about that, but there has been a whole Activision-Blizzard process for show about dominant market position and anti-monopoly processes in various markers. This just proves Microsoft can't be trusted. I hope this impacts ongoing antitrust stuff.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why anyone still buys gaming consoles in this day and age - buy a PC and stop supporting these jokers
^This. Specially in this generation, there's no reason to buy an Xbox console as most of their games can be played on pc. As for Sony, they're starting to bring more & more of their exclusive games to pc, and the PS5 library is still not there yet. Without mentioning, how gigantic the pc library is, for example you can get any game from the past 2 gens without relying or waiting for any BS BC program to allow you to play those games.. Also games are MUCH cheaper on pc than consoles, so in the long run pc is def better in every conceivable way.

PopcornSweetie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

From November 12th, Microsoft promises to block third party accessories that are not authorized by the company from being used on the Xbox, on an unprecedented anti-competitive move. This restriction includes game controllers.

Some current unauthorized accessory users have been receiving the following warning:

Brook Gaming, a manufacturer of third party controller adapters and fight sticks, put out an official statement regarding the upcoming change, and are looking for solutions to keep their products working on Xbox consoles.

A list of authorized accessories can be found on the official Xbox accessory page--most of which are specifically wired gamepads. Going forward, brands will need to have a specific chip and authorization from Microsoft itself to function as an official wireless accessory on Xbox systems.

:arrow: Source
This ONE change made up my mind: Playstation ftw! (Yes i know about Sony with the PS3 and Nintendo and their Switch)

Reactions: HellGhast

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Every month Microsoft do something that make me regret buying a Series X.

They have shown to be such a shitty company.
Blocked emulation, increased the cost of Gamepass, are taking away cloud storage for captures and now my usb adapter for using fight sticks and my other controllers is going to become useless. On top of them making nothing but shit games.

I made a mistake.

PopcornSweetie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every month Microsoft do something that make me regret buying a Series X.

They have shown to be such a shitty company.
Blocked emulation, increased the cost of Gamepass, are taking away cloud storage for captures and now my usb adapter for using fight sticks and my other controllers is going to become useless. On top of them making nothing but shit games.

I made a mistake.
I wanted to buy one, but now i am not longer going to. It is not about why, it is about the principle.

Reactions: HellGhast

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
I wanted to buy one, but now i am not longer going to. It is not about why, it is about the principle.
Had mine for 2 years now and had ZERO complaints about it for a year and a half until all these things happened in just the past 6 months.

They've went off the rails and I bet this is only the beginning of the anti-consumer shit they're going to put on us.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol