Hacking Nintendont

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendont freezes on startup with a black screen if a Shuriken USB( USB gecko SE (clone) ) is present in memory slot B. Works fine with the Shuriken USB removed. An error message instead of a freeze would be better.

An error message instead of debugging capabilities wouldn't be very useful. ;)

fatherjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I exclusively run NGC games from my SD card.
could someone please advise me if/how I would go about modifying the source files in order to automatically pick 'sd' and do away with the SD / USB selection screen?
thx
:)

Ktaco

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Looking to get some help here. I've been using Nintendont for the last few days playing twinsnakes. I've been saving to a emulated memory card. This morning I was playing and got to the part where I needed to "change discs". Everything worked fine and disc 2 file automatically booted up. A few mins later I went to pause the game and stupid me pressed the home button which of course brings you right back to the home brew channel.

No problem I thought and I went to boot up mgs again but got a memory card corrupted message. I suspect it's because I didn't make a save after the game jumped to the second disc. Am I screwed and have to start over or is there a way to recover my last save?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Looking to get some help here. I've been using Nintendont for the last few days playing twinsnakes. I've been saving to a emulated memory card. This morning I was playing and got to the part where I needed to "change discs". Everything worked fine and disc 2 file automatically booted up. A few mins later I went to pause the game and stupid me pressed the home button which of course brings you right back to the home brew channel.

No problem I thought and I went to boot up mgs again but got a memory card corrupted message. I suspect it's because I didn't make a save after the game jumped to the second disc. Am I screwed and have to start over or is there a way to recover my last save?
if its corrupt its corrupt but you can try getting the raw file in DOLPHINS gc memory card manager and try to save your save file if its possible, what size of mc were you using? individual or multi?

MasterZoen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there are only 2 gc loaders that work on vwii nintendont and devolution and devolutin requires you to have a BC wii and original games disc so you csn check them and them suing some anti pirate stuff to pass those permissions to the wiiu so good luck with that, im guessing discnnecting one usb device is way too much trouble for some people, just go trough devolution steps then.

I note that in addition to the reply being unnecessarily snarky, that nothing was actually said as to whether it's in the plans to make Nintendont stop corrupting your stuff because it detects 2 HDDs.

In response to your snark, some of us like to have a nice clean setup in our gaming cabinets, and yes, some of us have these little people around called kids that don't know/remember they need to unplug the front drive before opening a GameCube game via the loader. I'll also mention that some of us game up to 20 feet away from where the console is setup and thus it is a bit of trouble to get up, walk over to the console, and switch/disconnect a device from the console then having to walk back, especially, if some of us happen to be in wheelchairs, on crutches, or otherwise disabled in such a way that changing it every time is a hassle. There are many possible reasons as to why people might want this fixed, but, as a true blue gamer, I'd say the biggest reason is that it can corrupt your game saves!

Last edited by MasterZoen,
Reactions: niuus

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I note that in addition to the reply being unnecessarily snarky, that nothing was actually said as to whether it's in the plans to make Nintendont stop corrupting your stuff because it detects 2 HDDs.

In response to your snark, some of us like to have a nice clean setup in our gaming cabinets, and yes, some of us have these little people around called kids that don't know/remember they need to unplug the front drive before opening a GameCube game via the loader. I'll also mention that some of us game up to 20 feet away from where the console is setup and thus it is a bit of trouble to get up, walk over to the console, and switch/disconnect a device from the console then having to walk back, especially, if some of us happen to be in wheelchairs, on crutches, or otherwise disabled in such a way that changing it every time is a hassle. There are many possible reasons as to why people might want this fixed, but, as a true blue gamer, I'd say the biggest reason is that it can corrupt your game saves!
it would require a rewritten usb code all over again and everytime that happens people hdds become unsuported and such not to meantions all the hours it takes to do it for a simple unplug solution.

Reactions: DarthDub

MasterZoen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Write your own Gamecube loader, then.

I'm far more a hardware guy than software. That's why I'm using Nintendont.

it would require a rewritten usb code all over again and everytime that happens people hdds become unsuported and such not to meantions all the hours it takes to do it for a simple unplug solution.

Huh, that seems kinda strange to me, but I know jack all about code, so I'll take your word for it.

Alright, clunky setup remains in my cabinet and I guess my friend will just have to keep hobbling over or make her husband get up and do it. Oh, well, he can use the exercise.

Ktaco

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if its corrupt its corrupt but you can try getting the raw file in DOLPHINS gc memory card manager and try to save your save file if its possible, what size of mc were you using? individual or multi?

I'm pretty stupid when it comes to this stuff the wii was basically being used as a paperweight for years b4 I Googled all this stuff the other day.

In Nintendont I have the memcard emulation set to on. Memcard blocks is set to 251. Memcard muti is set to off. I'm using a flash drive to play the games and I assume that's where the games save to as well. When I would save the game I just kept overwriting the same file. So is it the save game file itself that it corrupt? Do I just find the save game file and delete it or do I select format card when it prompts me that it's corrupt?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm pretty stupid when it comes to this stuff the wii was basically being used as a paperweight for years b4 I Googled all this stuff the other day.

In Nintendont I have the memcard emulation set to on. Memcard blocks is set to 251. Memcard muti is set to off. I'm using a flash drive to play the games and I assume that's where the games save to as well. When I would save the game I just kept overwriting the same file. So is it the save game file itself that it corrupt? Do I just find the save game file and delete it or do I select format card when it prompts me that it's corrupt?
get the raw file from your flashdrive and try to open it on dolphin memory card manager or using some app to save files from damaged memory cards, i remenber there was one for the wii but i cant remenber wich tough.

Reactions: Ktaco

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, I've hit a bit of a blocker. My Wii HDD started acting up and is no longer working reliably. (I think I dropped it one too many times. :( [it's a 2.5" HDD]) No data loss, but `wit` is showing errors in a bunch of my Wii disc images, so time to rerip them.

I'm considering replacing it with a Cruical MX300 525 GB SSD. Obviously an SSD won't improve performance any, since the bottleneck is the Wii hardware, but it'll make it so it won't screw up the next time I drop it. :)

Current TODO list:
  • Add more diagnostics to the multigame/region function.
  • Game list: Show the filename for the selected game. Useful if you have multiple versions of the same game, e.g. revisions or prototypes.

Reactions: niuus

Ktaco

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
get the raw file from your flashdrive and try to open it on dolphin memory card manager or using some app to save files from damaged memory cards, i remenber there was one for the wii but i cant remenber wich tough.

I tried both dolphin and a wii memory card manager. Both couldn't open the file or possibly I wasn't using it right.

No worries now. I started over and when you skip all the cut scenes I got back to the second disc in no time at all. Once I started the second disc I saved the game and it makes you reformat the card so you can save the new game on the 2nd disc. I suspect it's like this on any game with 2 or more disc files.

DeezTits

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would someone be so kind as to remind me (or point to the thread) on how to get the GameCube bios and logo animation to pre-load when a game is selected? I have the bios files, btw.

Nemesis90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would someone be so kind as to remind me (or point to the thread) on how to get the GameCube bios and logo animation to pre-load when a game is selected? I have the bios files, btw.

I haven't been in the scene for quite some time but i seem to remember that you need to have the bios on the root of your game's device? I believe the name the required for it was iplusa.bin for the NTSC-U file.

Reactions: DeezTits

MasterZoen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, I've hit a bit of a blocker. My Wii HDD started acting up and is no longer working reliably. (I think I dropped it one too many times. :( [it's a 2.5" HDD]) No data loss, but `wit` is showing errors in a bunch of my Wii disc images, so time to rerip them.

I'm considering replacing it with a Cruical MX300 525 GB SSD. Obviously an SSD won't improve performance any, since the bottleneck is the Wii hardware, but it'll make it so it won't screw up the next time I drop it. :)

Current TODO list:
  • Add more diagnostics to the multigame/region function.
  • Game list: Show the filename for the selected game. Useful if you have multiple versions of the same game, e.g. revisions or prototypes.
With regular HDDs, damage is occurred by the read/write heads bumping the platters in a drop. You are probably equating SSDs with Flash Drives, and that's not the same. Flash drives are considerably more robust. An SSD isn't going to be "safer" to drop because you then have to worry about the RAM chips popping out/breaking, or other components, like the connection to the USB plug, being damaged. I've seen this happen with three SSDs that I had installed in systems. Just try not to drop your drives.

Edit: On another note, SSDs have a limited number of read/write actions before they die. This number is FAR less than a standard HDD. Like 1/1000 as many. I'd just buy a regular HDD.

Last edited by MasterZoen,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I received my Gamecube Adapter for Wii U today, and it seems like Nintendont doesn't like when Skylanders portal is plugged in USB while trying to start a game (I use USB Loader GX as a GUI for Nintendont). It sounds like it tries to use the portal as a USB-HID...

Is there a way to prevent other USB devices to interfer with Nintendont, besides unpluging them?

I'm on vWii mode from my Wii U.

Thanks

the only way I know of is to be using two hdds with one ustealthed and having the gc games on an sd card. u can bypass it that way, but with other usb devices plugged in, it won't work.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With regular HDDs, damage is occurred by the read/write heads bumping the platters in a drop. You are probably equating SSDs with Flash Drives, and that's not the same. Flash drives are considerably more robust. An SSD isn't going to be "safer" to drop because you then have to worry about the RAM chips popping out/breaking, or other components, like the connection to the USB plug, being damaged. I've seen this happen with three SSDs that I had installed in systems. Just try not to drop your drives.

Edit: On another note, SSDs have a limited number of read/write actions before they die. This number is FAR less than a standard HDD. Like 1/1000 as many. I'd just buy a regular HDD.
This is a joke, right? Flash drives use the same NAND flash chips as SSDs, but fewer of them. I've never once heard of an SSD being damaged because of a NAND flash chip breaking off due to a fall.

The USB port being damaged isn't a major issue, since I always get separate drive cases and internal drives instead of "portable" drives. That can be replaced without data loss.

I know about write cycles. For GCN/Wii, it's almost all read cycles - the only write cycles would be installing games and writing the memory card save data.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: -just

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1