Hacking Nintendont

cabal_man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a few questions I couldn't seem to see the answers to by reading through or searching:

1. Is it possible to use a mayflash/offical gamecube adapter with this on a wii U if I'm playing the games from an external USB drive?
  2. Is it possible to have an existing harddrive for Wii games setup to have gamecube games on it too for nintendont or do I have to have them on seperate drives? (Can they work off the same partition, two partitions?). I'm only using this to play my backed up wii/game cube games, I'll use my physical discs for Wii U
  3. Is there a max supported SD card size?

Thanks for your patience :)

Zonta85

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Italy
I have a few questions I couldn't seem to see the answers to by reading through or searching:

1. Is it possible to use a mayflash/offical gamecube adapter with this on a wii U if I'm playing the games from an external USB drive?
  2. Is it possible to have an existing harddrive for Wii games setup to have gamecube games on it too for nintendont or do I have to have them on seperate drives? (Can they work off the same partition, two partitions?). I'm only using this to play my backed up wii/game cube games, I'll use my physical discs for Wii U
  3. Is there a max supported SD card size?

Thanks for your patience :)

2)You can use an unique hard drive formatted in fat 32 for both wii and gc games.
Nintendont cannot boot games from ntfs, but fat 32 is ok because with tools like wii game manager or wbfs manager the wii games that are bigger than 4 Gb can be splitted in 2 files that are "readed" as a single files by the usb loaders (and sometimes the split isn't even needed because these tools automatically remove the garbage data and then a lot of the wii ISOs are <4gb)

As you can see in my signature i use a unique 500 gb hard drive for both.

cabal_man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
2)You can use an unique hard drive formatted in fat 32 for both wii and gc games.
Nintendont cannot boot games from ntfs, but fat 32 is ok because with tools like wii game manager or wbfs manager the wii games that are bigger than 4 Gb can be splitted in 2 files that are "readed" as a single files by the usb loaders (and sometimes the split isn't even needed because these tools automatically remove the garbage data and then a lot of the wii ISOs are <4gb)

As you can see in my signature i use a unique 500 gb hard drive for both.
Hi Zonta,

Thanks for the reply!

Do you know how to pick a good harddrive to work with this? On my wii I have a pretty bulky 1TB seagate drive but it's a pain because it's massive and needs a seperate power supply. I want to buy a new drive but really don't want to end up getting something which won't get powered by the wiiu correctly. My 1TB drive was a bad buy... I don't need nearly that space!

Edit: Sorry I know this question is veering off topic :(

Last edited by cabal_man,
Reactions: Zonta85

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Zonta,

Thanks for the reply!

Do you know how to pick a good harddrive to work with this? On my wii I have a pretty bulky 1TB seagate drive but it's a pain because it's massive and needs a seperate power supply. I want to buy a new drive but really don't want to end up getting something which won't get powered by the wiiu correctly. My 1TB drive was a bad buy... I don't need nearly that space!
USB HDDs mostly require additional power as the Wii U's USB ports are underpowered. The only other solution it to use a 2.5" External HDD with a Y-Cable so it will occupy 2 USB ports on the Wii U.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can live with that as long as the mayflash/offical gamecube adapter still works :D
The Mayflash adapter works as long as the switch is set to Wii U. The Official USB GameCube adapter works out of the box. Using an official Gamecube controller is one of my preferred controllers to play Gamecube games on the Wii U.

Zonta85

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Italy
Hi Zonta,

Thanks for the reply!

Edit: Sorry I know this question is veering off topic :(

I use hard drives with external power supply too. In my opinion they are better (more fast, durable) and cheaper than the hard drives that are auto powered, but i understand that the 2,5"" have more and more confort.
In my experience during the year i buyed a lot of external hard drives for the most various pourposes with different sizes (500 gb, 1 tb, 2tb and 4tb), all of them made by Western digital, and i never spent money in a better way, all of them worked good with wii, with both game loading or for data storage (video, music ecc. Used with Wii Media Center).

I think that if you spent some bucks for this hard drive you should stay with it if the separate power supply is'nt a too big pain in the ass.

Zonta85

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Italy
I might not. Problem is I can't do a check cause the Wii is frozen on this screen, even if i turn it on and off.

This is weird...Have you tried the hard reset? Hold the power button for 2 or 3 seconds...
The thing that i don't understand is how is possible that the Nintendont load on boots.
Have you something like priiloader that autoboots Nintendont instead of the System Menu?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So I was trying to install Nintendont and run it but it got stuck on Initializing IOS58... The thing is, it's literally stuck on this screen no matter what I do. I've unplugged and re-plugged my wii, removed the SD card, and just turned it on and off but whenever it turns on it is just instantly on the Nintendont screen saying Initializing IOS58... Is there are way to fix this? To be honest, I'm not that adept with all this Homebrew stuff so possibly it conflicted with past files I've installed (I've been using Dios Mios for about year and a half or two years but decided I want to upgrade today).
you probably dont have the newer unpatched ios58 by nintendo and have the older one with was patched by modders.

I might not. Problem is I can't do a check cause the Wii is frozen on this screen, even if i turn it on and off.

you do a syscheck on the homebrew channel using an app not inside nintendont.

xtreemsurf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main thing here would be some research and documentation on the IOSv1 that the Wii VC use against the IOSv0 which is used when the Wii U boots into Wii Menu.

Basically IOSv1 enables the Gamepad to work on the Wii side of the console as a Classic Controller Pro.
This is used in games like Monster Hunter 3 I believe, and I'm not sure if RE4 does too.
So until some research is done in Cafe2Wii and the IOSv1, theres not much that can be done for playing Nintendont with the Gamepad, other than injecting HBC or an exploitable game into Wii VC.
So it's not completely impossible...but also probably not a huge priority from the developers, since so many other controllers are working properly with Nintendont.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So it's not completely impossible...but also probably not a huge priority from the developers, since so many other controllers are working properly with Nintendont.
Yes indeed, it's not impossible, but it only lacks priority, interest and proper documentation at the moment, given the whole redNAND, HBL, RetroArch craze and such, the developers are focusing on other things rather than looking into the Wii VC side of things.

It might become a reality down the road, but we'll just have to wait and see.

xtreemsurf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes indeed, it's not impossible, but it only lacks priority, interest and proper documentation at the moment, given the whole redNAND, HBL, RetroArch craze and such, the developers are focusing on other things rather than looking into the Wii VC side of things.

It might become a reality down the road, but we'll just have to wait and see.
That's true...this would all be done in vWii mode, which isn't a priority anymore. It makes me think of another question. Is Nintendont locked into running in vWii mode only...or, now that we have a lot more possibilities on the Wii U, would it be possible to have a Nintendont version that can run natively in Wii U mode?

I think I saw a discussion on this a while back. From what I remember, it would require actually emulating the GameCube in Wii U mode, rather than running via hardware in vWii mode. In this case, I guess it makes sense to keep using vWii for GameCube games.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That's true...this would all be done in vWii mode, which isn't a priority anymore. It makes me think of another question. Is Nintendont locked into running in vWii mode only...or, now that we have a lot more possibilities on the Wii U, would it be possible to have a Nintendont version that can run natively in Wii U mode?

I think I saw a discussion on this a while back. From what I remember, it would require actually emulating the GameCube in Wii U mode, rather than running via hardware in vWii mode. In this case, I guess it makes sense to keep using vWii for GameCube games.
Yes actually FIX94 did mention that a few posts back:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/page-1749#post-6857725

Reactions: xtreemsurf

n00dz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Nintendont on my vWii and play only with a Wii U pro controller. Every time I play SSX Tricky or SSX 3, the controller combo for shutdown is the same as some tricks, so my game will just shut down. Is there any fix for this for the Wii U pro controller?

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Nintendont on my vWii and play only with a Wii U pro controller. Every time I play SSX Tricky or SSX 3, the controller combo for shutdown is the same as some tricks, so my game will just shut down. Is there any fix for this for the Wii U pro controller?
I believe we would have to remove or disable the combo in code. @FIX94 maybe if that game is played Nintendont would disable that combo just for that game?

Reactions: huma_dawii

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On vWii I'm not sure there's any way to do that other than modifying Nintendont. On a Wii with real GC controllers you can just enable native controls for those games in your main USB loader.

Blade12337

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is weird...Have you tried the hard reset? Hold the power button for 2 or 3 seconds...
The thing that i don't understand is how is possible that the Nintendont load on boots.
Have you something like priiloader that autoboots Nintendont instead of the System Menu?

I do have priiloader but the weird thing is there is no loading time. I've tried a hard reset and literally unplugging and plugging in the Wii. I could try taking a video if I would help. Like imagine its just stuck on the screen instantly. Like there's no loading I just hit the on button on the wii and the TV shows the screen saying Initializing IOS58... This is the only screen I see whether I turn the wii on or off. Its just instantly on this screen when I turn it on.

EDIT: I played around with it more and finally got it to reset. Now how would I go about getting the correct IOS58/checking which I have?

EDIT 2: Did some googling and figured it all out. Thanks for the help. :]

Last edited by Blade12337,

Zonta85

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Italy
The major advantage of CISO is that it removes empty blocks while maintaining the original file offsets. That's the main reason why shrunken ISOs break; some games expect certain files to be located at an exact location on disc. This also preserves disc seek timing, which is necessary for speed runs in e.g. Metroid Prime.

Before converting my ISOs to cISOs (i really need space in my hard drive that is almost full) i want to ask you if because of the "maintain the original file structure" is possible to revert back cISOs tu fullsize ISOs and match the md5.

Another question: have you figured out why the iplpal.bin interfers with Nintendont settings and prevents from forcing 480p in the compatible games?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxeZ7JYwZs&pp=ygUJVnIgaXMgZ2F5