Hacking Nintendont

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
quite interesting, another question from me now is if you disable memory card emulation, is there any noticable lag at all? or does it then run fine?
edit:
also, does disabling memory card emulation make SSBM work?

Last edited by FIX94,

Radrian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
For Wind Waker it dont let me save, but loading the file selection screen is smooth
same for melee
btw melee crash after a while siting in the main menu with memcart emulation on but I dont know for sure that if the memcart if what making it crash
Edit:More testing in melee, the main menu doesn't crash anymore and the game can save in time before the game throw a error msg telling you to disconnect the "gamecube"

Last edited by Radrian,

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It most likely is what makes it crash, melee is very sensitive to wrong memory card and disc timings and can randomly crash or stop playing any music or sounds if they're off, anyways the fact it even does this in idle in wind waker on file select means the nintendont main thread only gets very little time to run even with the absurd priority I gave it for that test file. The fact it got better with more priority means that even when you just have a game open from wii vc there must be some yet unknown watch thread that hogs all the IOS CPU leaving nintendont simply not enough time to do all what it has to do every frame, producing all those sound glitches and stuff. Anyways this helped out a bunch already to now know what we have to look for, thanks for testing!
oh also the reason as to why memory card emulation makes this massive difference is that memory card calls consist of several 100 every frame and normally nintendont handles all those with ease in its main thread but with such a demanding unknown thread running it has no chance to handle all those calls.

Last edited by FIX94,
Reactions: [Truth]

Radrian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Happy to help in anything I can, I had to go anyways so good that you figured it out
plus this testing and stuff is half the fun of homebrew(I haven't played almost all my gamecube/wii injected games tbh)
Edit:one question: why this is present only in autoboot .dol and no in the @ploggy forwarder to nintendont?

Last edited by Radrian,

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country
Happy to help in anything I can, I had to go anyways so good that you figured it out
plus this testing and stuff is half the fun of homebrew(I haven't played almost all my gamecube/wii injected games tbh)
Edit:one question: why this is present only in autoboot .dol and no in the @ploggy forwarder to nintendont?
Ploggys forwarder you load games from sd card. The wiivc are loading from usb(hdd). I think that's the question your asking. So there's something happening there

Last edited by Columbo2811,
Reactions: peteruk

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because ploggy's forwarder is from when we started working on this project, its old

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
after looking at other IOS thread priorities only very, very few get up there but I did notice one that we may be able to lower, if you know how to pack wiivc and you know what a hex editor is, before packing your wiivc open the fw.img in a hex editor, go to offset 0x179862 and change 247E to 2468, save that and then pack it and try it with that nintendont file:
https://mega.nz/#!EpYkCZYZ!QW5Bbw93wBpq_U-sWIansv5t8CNNASSZDnqNsN1_zBQ

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's funny, your solution tell users to plug FAT32 in front port (USB2 and 3) while cIOS works only with USBPort0.
I don't know how it can work with r52.

Here is my guide :
https://gbatemp.net/posts/7216091

Though, it may become unneeded and obsolete now that Gerbilsoft updated nintendont to skip incompatible drives.
I may have to re-write my guide to add this setup.
Thank you so much. That is exactly the guide I was looking for but couldn't remember where to find it.

To anyone who's been having problems with both Wii U-formatted and FAT32-formatted drives connected at the same time, please try this test build: https://github.com/GerbilSoft/Nintendont/raw/v5.457-WiiUSB2/loader/loader.dol

I added some code in the loader's usbstorage.c to skip drives that don't have a valid MBR or UStealth MBR signature.

Tested on a Wii with a Wii U-formatted drive connected on port 1 and a FAT32 drive connected on port 0. (Interestingly, the other way around seemed to work without this change...)

Post results here: https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/issues/423

Some other changes:
  • The selected game's filename is now shown at the top of the game list. This should make it easier to distinguish between e.g. different revisions of a game.
  • More comprehensive error messages for CheckForMultiGameAndRegion(). I'm pretty sure most of these errors were caused by the Wii U drive ordering issue, but I added the extra messages just in case.

On another note: I have noticed that in SA2B, there seems to be some slight lag when loading some music. This is especially noticeable after initially starting the game and then selecting 1P. There's about 1-2 seconds before the music loads. I'm not sure if this is a Nintendont regression or something wrong with my setup. I'll try bisecting it later.

EDIT: The lag was caused by updating FatFS to R0.13_p2, or by me screwing something up when doing so. Reverting the FatFS changes fixed it, so I pushed another build, v5.457-WiiUSB2.

Thanks for making this update. I won't have time to test it this week but hopefully next week I will.

Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I wrote it without even testing, so it would be nice if you can report your result.
I wrote it by logic, it should work.

of course, that's only in case you use nintendont before the new update to skip non valid HDD.

Reactions: Clutz450

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
after looking at other IOS thread priorities only very, very few get up there but I did notice one that we may be able to lower, if you know how to pack wiivc and you know what a hex editor is, before packing your wiivc open the fw.img in a hex editor, go to offset 0x179862 and change 247E to 2468, save that and then pack it and try it with that nintendont file:
I'm using Rythm Heaven Fever (USA) fw.img, can I patch that address too?

Last edited by cucholix,

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
5.458 seems to have broken Wii U Gamepad controls in F-Zero GX; the analog stick and dpad do nothing now in the main menu, making it impossible to navigate. You can use A to start a single player race with Captain Falcon, but the controls in-race don't do anything either. The last working revision was 5.457.

Reactions: Froz

Froz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
5.458 seems to have broken Wii U Gamepad controls in F-Zero GX; the analog stick and dpad do nothing now in the main menu, making it impossible to navigate. You can use A to start a single player race with Captain Falcon, but the controls in-race don't do anything either. The last working revision was 5.457.
Wii U Gamepad controls are also broken in Mario Kart Double Dash with v5.458. Analogs, dpad, A button, start button... Nothing works.
You're basically stuck at title screen.

Reactions: daxtsu

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Ok, patched the fw.img and replace the test loader(7), I noticed that is a bit less laggy, but still stutter in the gcn logo startup and when reading memory card, in my case with Mario Sunshine when selecting game file.

Good thing it didn't broke anything :)

Last edited by cucholix,

Xyphoseos

Hack or no games
Trophies
XP
Country
France
When I launch Nintendont (WiiVC) or NGC game from the WIIU home menu I get black screen after "wii"
Why ? :(

WIIU EUR 5.5.2 CBHC CFW
Nintendont installed in nand
SD 4GB FAT32
SD:\\apps\nintendont\boot.dol (latest version)
The nintendont forwarder for vwii installed too

PS: When I launch Nintendont from HBC it works

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok, patched the fw.img and replace the test loader(7), I noticed that is a bit less laggy, but still stutter in the gcn logo startup and when reading memory card, in my case with Mario Sunshine when selecting game file.
maybe go REALLY hard on the patch then and not just use 2468 but 2440, if that does not help either then we may have just lost this battle and have to rewrite the entire memory card emulation code to work differently for unknown reasons.

zeldaism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
="FIX94, post: 7587075, member: 232444"]maybe go REALLY hard on the patch then and not just use 2468 but 2440, if that does not help either then we may have just lost this battle and have to rewrite the entire memory card emulation code to work differently for unknown reasons.
[QUOTE="KhaderWelaye, post: 7586935, member: 300039"@ploggy has identified an issue with the homebrew ISO base that may be causing some of the speed issues we are seeing with Nintendont, I am testing with a different base now. Thanks for investigating this.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by zeldaism,
Reactions: ploggy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Rye would get shot at sight.