Hacking Nintendont

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Whether or not objects disappering outside of the 4:3 frame is tolerable or not obviously depends on the person, though I understand why such things would be seen as a big issue. I would not be opposed to marking such games as 'orange', though doing it on a per-game basis would be best, in my opinion.

Marking games that stretch as 'widescreen compatible' just seems bizarre because they are, by definition, not widescreen compatible. Any calls by Nintendont to force widescreen are evidently being ignored. These certainly shouldn't be marked as 'green', and could arguably be listed as 'red'.

Scan down the list as it currently is and probably half of the 'widescreen compatible' games probably just stretch the image and have nothing mentioned in the comments to mention this. I think in most cases people just assume it is working fine and don't think to compare with 4:3 before adding to the list.

In other words, most of the compatibility list entries are simply wrong.

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
I agree if the game is only being stretched and is not true widescreen it should be corrected, marked red and noted as such. Shouldn't be a big deal. Like u said most likely people that are putting green everywhere don't realize the difference. Again since its a hack and not part of experiencing the game in its true form, it's really just a bonus and I'm grateful for whatever works.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's hardly an important thing, of course. Just making some suggestions because, quite frankly, the compatibility list isn't very reliable at the moment due to a lot of misinformation. If there were a set of guidelines that determined on what criteria entires should be based on, the list will improve.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Are we still debating wither widescreen hack not working should be marked as "unplayable"? For the love of God, people just be grateful these games work on a Wii U at all, Nintendo didn't intend for the Wii U to run Gamecube games to begin with, they're going the DSi rote to re-sell you games you already own, if the game works in 4:3 then use fucking 4:3 ratio, it's not rocket science, I don't recommend using stretched either because it looks ugly and ruins the image but I don't see ANY reason not to have black bars on the side.

Alcarajo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello! First, i would like to thank all the people responsible for nintendont. I really appreciate the hard work! I have only one question. My wii is connected to my HDTV with component cables and it's set to display at 16:9. When i play gamecube games they all play stretched. Is there a way to play gamecube games with nintendon't without having to set the wii to display at 4:3?

flamepanther

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are we still debating wither widescreen hack not working should be marked as "unplayable"? For the love of God, people just be grateful these games work on a Wii U at all, Nintendo didn't intend for the Wii U to run Gamecube games to begin with, they're going the DSi rote to re-sell you games you already own, if the game works in 4:3 then use fucking 4:3 ratio, it's not rocket science, I don't recommend using stretched either because it looks ugly and ruins the image but I don't see ANY reason not to have black bars on the side.
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone in the thread wanting to mark the games as unplayable. And obviously we shouldn't, because they aren't. However, what I've seen others argue, and what I have argued myself, is that we should not be marking these games (the ones that don't respond to the 16:9 hack) as if the patch works on them when it in fact does not. I.e. "the patch doesn't work", not "the game doesn't work." Totally different ideas. Very simple.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
People are simply discussing the issue, calmly and rationally. There's no aggressive opinions or bickering or complaining or mudslinging, or demanding X or Y features. Instead, we are discussing how to make the existing list better, together, by coming to an agreement on how it should be done. We're talking about the list, not Nintendont itself. As the list is a community effort, it is important to discuss how to maintain it.

I don't really understand what you're so upset about.

cashonly

Trophies
XP
Country
have you tryed launching from nintendont directly? and take a pciture of what settings you have on on nintendont itself?

just launched directly from nintendont, the setings are all to "off", same problem.
the nintendont is "cleand installed" (i've formated the sdcard)

Nemesis90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wide (Widescreen Patch) - Whether or not a game can be patched to run in widescreen mode. Games that fail to start or later error should be marked "No". If the game displays any oddities but plays without crashing, you can enter "Issues". If the game itself already has a widescreen option, enter "Support". If your game has an widescreen option, you can either see in the options or look it up in this list. If you didn't test Widescreen patch, leave the wide field blank.

Reactions: MassiveRican

RCJayce

The Defender Of Tomorrow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are simply discussing the issue, calmly and rationally. There's no aggressive opinions or bickering or complaining or mudslinging, or demanding X or Y features. Instead, we are discussing how to make the existing list better, together, by coming to an agreement on how it should be done. We're talking about the list, not Nintendont itself. As the list is a community effort, it is important to discuss how to maintain it.

I don't really understand what you're so upset about.
Just a suggestion but we should make a new thread to make some rules for the Compatibility List and start doing some cleanup and updates to it.

zychion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I thought I should mention that I tried luigis mansion. It didn't work initially but I turned memory card emulation of and it booted just fine.

Shawshank

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks a lot Fix94,

After playing during 2 hours, I can confirm that PAL version of SRS works very well, including autosave feature. :bow:

Hi Fix 94,

It seems I spoke too fast, I'm blocked on yellow area challenge now :wink: haven't try the yellow area yesterday.
The good new is that's is working with the second file provided by pedro702 (boootsrs2.dol)

So, If I understood well, you added street racing syndicate to the paper mario exception list, and it seems this game also has to be included in the need for speed 2 exception list... Am I correct ?

The Gameboy-cube

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going to say that 4:3 should be marked wrong (because it really shouldn't be as 4:3 is technically correct), but I would like the compatibility list to indicate when the widescreen patch works (in whatever amount of brokenness) and when it just stretches. Because I love the widescreen patch even with minimal errors, but i HATE stretching.

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going to say that 4:3 should be marked wrong (because it really shouldn't be as 4:3 is technically correct), but I would like the compatibility list to indicate when the widescreen patch works (in whatever amount of brokenness) and when it just stretches. Because I love the widescreen patch even with minimal errors, but i HATE stretching.
Maybe add an additonal option for the widescreen column "streches" and make it blue

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu