Hardware Nintendo won't replace the display of your Switch if it has dead pixels..

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Exactly, every system is different. Ergo, they have no reason to give you a different switch if you have 3 dead pixels.
And, again, any retailer you buy it from (including the good online ones) will let you return/exchange for that, even if you have to wait a couple weeks for new stock.

Reactions: Kyubnyan

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
..because Nintendo doesn't see them as a fault. From the Q&A:

:arrow: Source, via
That's the policy for every store that sells screens here (in Switzerland), and I think there's an international, or at least European policy about that : the manufacturer has to replace the screen if there's a certain percentage of dead pixels, otherwise, the screen is considered fine

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That's the policy for every store that sells screens here (in Switzerland), and I think there's an international, or at least European policy about that : the manufacturer has to replace the screen if there's a certain percentage of dead pixels, otherwise, the screen is considered fine
And they do that, just not for like <=1-3%. I'd guess 10% is probably the line.

Last edited by Xzi,

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
I bought a LG phone a couple of years ago for my sister and it had a dead pixel... I think it's just 2 and got replaced imediately, same with my LG tv,and a Samsung tv with slight discoloration.. got replaced immediately, then now a few days ago I bought a new benq monitor and they specifically explained the warranty and mentioned me that if the dead pixel exceeds 5 they will replace it.

so maybe the policies has changed

Last edited by happydance,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
All LCD manufacturers have dead pixel policies to ascertain whether a display is defective or not. Additionally, there are international standards dictating what class the display is, and failing to meet those standards would effectively make the device defective, whether Nintendo agrees or not. ISO 13406-2 states clearly that a Class I display can have zero dead pixels or sub-pixels while a Class II display can have 2 dead pixels, 2 hot pixels and 5 stuck/subpixel-damaged pixels, etc. These rules were updated in the ISO 9241 standard, but the general principle is the same. If Nintendo sells panels that are wrongly classed, they're defective by definition and should be replaced. The regulations allow for 1 defective pixel (hot, dead or stuck) every one million pixels of the matrix, otherwise the panel does not meet the standard and is not ready for market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_13406-2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9241#ISO-9241-302.2C_303.2C_305.2C_307:2008_pixel_defects

Reactions: Xzi

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Does it matter that Nintendo won't replace it, when I'm returning to say a store like gamestop?

Ive had to return a new 3ds XL, it had dirt particles under the screen. GS replaced it no problem.
That's a manufacturing flaw, screens are not supposed to have any dust under the glass as they're assembled in a sterile environment. If you have dirt or dust under the screen, it's defective. The system should've been a factory reject, I'm not surprised it was replaced.

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
That's a manufacturing flaw, screens are not supposed to have any dust under the screens as they're assembled in a sterile environment. If you have dirt or dust under the screen, it's defective. The system should've been a factory reject, I'm not surprised it was replaced.
My point was, I normally don't return my nintendo products to nintendo, so does their replacement policy apply to places like GS.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
My point was, I normally don't return my nintendo products to nintendo, so does their replacement policy apply to places like GS.
A store will not replace the product for you if they're uncertain whether or not the manufacturer will replace their stock unless you have an extended warranty with them, the staff is trained in diagnosing whether something is a defect or not. They're not a charity, they send those systems straight back to the manufacturer for refurbishment and/or replacement and the manufacturer foots the bill, so to speak. It's possible in stores that have money to burn, like supermarket chains, but gaming chains have razor-thin margins and are very strict with their returns policies.

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
A store will not replace the product for you if they're uncertain whether or not the manufacturer will replace their stock unless you have an extended warranty with them, the staff is trained in diagnosing whether something is a defect or not. They're not a charity, they send those systems straight back to the manufacturer for refurbishment and/or replacement and the manufacturer foots the bill, so to speak. It's possible in stores that have money to burn, like supermarket chains, but gaming chains have razor-thin margins and are very strict with their returns policies.
No, every retailer has their own return/replace policies.
Two good points, luckily I don't have this problem. If the dead pixels were distracting enough, I would try to return it. I agree its not a stores responsibility like GS, Nintendo should offer a repair service regardless.

Last edited by Thomas83Lin,

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Bestbuy and Amazon have always accepted my returns, even with no valid reason other than I don't want it anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...