Nintendo wins another lawsuit, awarded $2 million in damages against SXOS reseller

unnamed.jpg

Another day means another lawsuit, when it comes to Nintendo. A court dispute, originally filed in May, saw the company go after Uberchips, a reseller of Team Xecuter's, as Nintendo puts it, "piracy tools". Nintendo filed seeking damages against Uberchip's owner, Tom Dilts Jr., who proceeded to take his website down following the initial court dispute, though he maintained his own innocence. Prior to May, Dilts had been selling the SX OS dongle through Uberchips.com, which Nintendo states facilitated piracy, and now, both he and Nintendo have come to a conclusion in a new joint filing. A permanent injunction has been ruled, and a settlement of $2 million in damages must be paid to Nintendo. A stipulation of the ruling also permanently bans Dilts from ever reselling any Team Xecuter products, and if any leftover chips remained, they must be seized and destroyed.

This matter came before the Court on the parties’ Consent to Entry of Judgment and Permanent Injunction, Dkt. No. 14, and Joint Motion for Entry of Final Judgment and Permanent Injunction, Dkt. No. 15. The Court enters judgment as follows: 1. Plaintiff is hereby awarded judgment against all Defendants, jointly and severally, in the amount of US$2,000,000.00. 2. Each party shall bear its own costs and attorneys’ fees.

:arrow: Source: court documents, courtesy of Torrent Freak

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I just did a lookup of team-xecutor.com and didn't spot anything, am I looking at the wrong url? Or has it updated?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What copyright do you think has expired?
Totally wrong URL. Maxconsole's IP is what you want.

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
That's odd, to hate a company so much you purchase a bunch of their expensive products to use.

I own them because they had awesome exclusives, well switch got a few first party nice games, i hate the company, not the product. Also all second hand 30% off their original price hehe

Last edited by YuseiFD,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yup copyright is mostly based in the illusion of scarcity and enforcing it indeed results in micromanage slave/tiranny.
How dare they decide what we should do to our own stuff.

There are laws over what plants you're allowed to grow, why do you think there wouldn't be laws that prevent you from doing something that would allow you to break copyright law?

copyright is based on it costing more money to create a work in the first place than it does to duplicate it.

Totally wrong URL. Maxconsole's IP is what you want.

How does that prove a link from team xecutor to garyopa?

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
There are laws over what plants you're allowed to grow, why do you think there wouldn't be laws that prevent you from doing something that would allow you to break copyright law?

copyright is based on it costing more money to create a work in the first place than it does to duplicate it.

Well the document that he gotten arrested is proving enough, but else they made a lot of mistakes on hiding the identity who they were.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well the document that he gotten arrested is proving enough, but else they made a lot of mistakes on hiding the identity who they were.

To get a warrant for his arrest they would need some evidence. I wondered what that evidence was, obviously they made some mistakes. That is how all criminals are identified.

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
To get a warrant for his arrest they would need some evidence. I wondered what that evidence was, obviously they made some mistakes. That is how all criminals are identified.
Well... 01media made a mistake posting OPA as a business partner. So it wasn't very hard to track down that for anyone with google. They were an official Team Xecuter partner.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well... 01media made a mistake posting OPA as a business partner. So it wasn't very hard to track down that for anyone with google. They were an official Team Xecuter partner.

Still only one person though. I imagine they'll have had to do better than that. Maybe even pose as a partner.

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Those laws are fucking insane too.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has a page on its own website stating that downloading roms, even if you own them, even you just only keep them for 24hours, is infringing their copyright.

Emulators aren't piracy. Also Nintendo uses emulators on the VC, NSO, etc, so do you think I give two damns about what Nintendo says? Don't care about Nintendo's scare tactics.

Homlet

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Emulators aren't piracy. Also Nintendo uses emulators on the VC, NSO, etc, so do you think I give two damns about what Nintendo says? Don't care about Nintendo's scare tactics.
Emulation technology isn't piracy. Getting the roms you emulate is piracy, but I bet they all are your own dumps of games you own amirite?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulation technology isn't piracy. Getting the roms you emulate is piracy, but I bet they all are your own dumps of games you own amirite?

You think I give a shit about that? I'm sorry, but I don't use the internet to get moral lectures from people I don't know. Try again. Who are you to tell me what we can or can't do? That's not against TOS on this site, so spare me with such nonsense.

I'm sorry that my using emulators and ROMs offends you, that's not my problem though, so deal with it.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Lol at the justice warriors with their "but its their right to protect their IP"

You think I'm supposed to feel bad for a fucking company that makes millions by the day?
And not only that, am I supposed to feel bad for a company that will keep profiting of the same fucking shit they did back in the 80s for more than a 100 years? Because that's how the idiotic copyright law works, nothing goes public domain until at least 100 years (until the creator's death + 70 years).

Yeah no thanks. I don't and won't feel the slightest hint of remorse for Nintendo and their "property", much less by how they treat their fanbase as a whole with fanprojects and romhacks.

Their fucking draconian way of acting during these last years has pushed me to stop supporting them altogether ever since before the WiiU's release, I won't buy their shit and they won't get a penny from me anymore.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol at the people who think the NSO is "a good deal" compared to the VC. That's a joke, right? I'd rather pay for VC games on a per game basis than a glorified POS rental service that will shut down someday. Also 80 games over the course of three years? Wow, that's impressive :lol: Sorry, Nintendo, sticking to ROMs and emulators until you get your crap together.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Homlet

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You think I give a shit about that? I'm sorry, but I don't use the internet to get moral lectures from people I don't know. Try again. Who are you to tell me what we can or can't do? That's not against TOS on this site, so spare me with such nonsense.

I'm sorry that my using emulators and ROMs offends you, that's not my problem though, so deal with it.
Ye ok you're pirating games, everyone using CFW is in some capacity. I don't care, just don't pretend you're not pirating games while admitting on this very website that you are.

Last edited by Homlet,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ye ok you're pirating games, everyone using CFW is in some capacity. I don't care, just don't pretend you're not pirating games while admitting on this very website that you are.

That's not my problem. You're more than welcome to block me on the site, I couldn't give a damn about SXOS.

Meatloaf916

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. That is entirely true. Many countries don't allow backups, America's fair use exemption doesn't allow you to download someone elses backup you have to make your own.

China does have IP laws, how effectively they enforce them is a different matter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property_in_China#Copyright_law

Well it was a long time ago and the only thing that remains from those days is the name

https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/GBAtemp.net#Early_years

But there is a lingering smell in the air that has never gone away.
an unenforced law. they resell everything in china and theyd never let a japanese or american company stop them unless they made a new entity in china and gave the government 50 percent of their business. it's called a grey area. I live in china and you can just go on tao bao. their ip and copy right laws are a joke because it's common place to pirate there. They'd be locking everyone up for their fake nikes and american movies.China only cares about chinese companies like tencent. And until consoles become more popular in china they won't care.

Last edited by Meatloaf916,

Homlet

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sony v. Connectix and Sony v. Bleem! say hi, emulators aren't illegal, look it up

Nintendo also isn't the law of the land.
As stated previously, emulators aren't illegal, but emulation is for 99% of people emulating games, since they're illegally downloading copyrighted content distributed by someone who doesn't own the rights to that content. Your post history shows that you're pirating games as recent as 3DS to emulate them. This is very much illegal. Saying emulation isn't illegal is semantics, for all intents and purposes it is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright