Nintendo wins another lawsuit, awarded $2 million in damages against SXOS reseller

unnamed.jpg

Another day means another lawsuit, when it comes to Nintendo. A court dispute, originally filed in May, saw the company go after Uberchips, a reseller of Team Xecuter's, as Nintendo puts it, "piracy tools". Nintendo filed seeking damages against Uberchip's owner, Tom Dilts Jr., who proceeded to take his website down following the initial court dispute, though he maintained his own innocence. Prior to May, Dilts had been selling the SX OS dongle through Uberchips.com, which Nintendo states facilitated piracy, and now, both he and Nintendo have come to a conclusion in a new joint filing. A permanent injunction has been ruled, and a settlement of $2 million in damages must be paid to Nintendo. A stipulation of the ruling also permanently bans Dilts from ever reselling any Team Xecuter products, and if any leftover chips remained, they must be seized and destroyed.

This matter came before the Court on the parties’ Consent to Entry of Judgment and Permanent Injunction, Dkt. No. 14, and Joint Motion for Entry of Final Judgment and Permanent Injunction, Dkt. No. 15. The Court enters judgment as follows: 1. Plaintiff is hereby awarded judgment against all Defendants, jointly and severally, in the amount of US$2,000,000.00. 2. Each party shall bear its own costs and attorneys’ fees.

:arrow: Source: court documents, courtesy of Torrent Freak

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the thing, I feel no remorse for older games being pirated, esp. if Nintendo does a dick move and shuts down something like the Wii Shopping Channel (really, Nintendo?). Newer games still in production, I get legit via eShop and the like. Frankly, Nintendo kind of deserves their games being pirated if they cut off people from getting them via legit means.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

gundamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here's the thing, I feel no remorse for older games being pirated, esp. if Nintendo does a dick move and shuts down something like the Wii Shopping Channel (really, Nintendo?). Newer games still in production, I get legit via eShop and the like. Frankly, Nintendo kind of deserves their games being pirated if they cut off people from getting them via legit means.

you're not gonna want to pay full price for games that low quality, i almost bought let's go pikachu. but sxos saved me money, it was so bad i didn't even finished. dodged the bullet there..

nintendo and sony have been doing this for years, trying to go after piracy lol. i remember they used to go after emulator devs and took massive L when judges sided with devs

gregory-samba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
S

Switch, 3ds and wii u, brother.

That's odd, to hate a company so much you purchase a bunch of their expensive products to use.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That depends on your definition of "old". Some find that games released last month are "old". There's really no difference between pirating something that was release 2 years ago, 8 years ago or 30 years ago. If you're using copyrighted ROMS with an emulator you're no better than someone who pirates tons of Switch games. You don't own the rights to them so you're a pirate. At least don't be a pussy and man up to your actions as no one of importance is going to buy your bullshit.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's odd, to hate a company so much you purchase a bunch of their expensive products to use.

That depends on your definition of "old". Some find that games released last month are "old". There's really no difference between pirating something that was release 2 years ago, 8 years ago or 30 years ago. If you're using copyrighted ROMS with an emulator you're no better than someone who pirates tons of Switch games. You don't own the rights to them so you're a pirate. At least don't be a pussy and man up to your actions as no one of importance is going to buy your bullshit.

Yeah, so fucking what? Old as in, Wii Shop, VC, things one can't buy anymore.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
What does SXOS offer at this point, really, aside from being a better option for the Switch Lite when it comes to homebrew, from what little snippets here and there about their progress on the Mariko chip I happened to have read about? If I really needed the d-pad the Switch Lite has on offer, I'd use the HORI Split Pad Pros (which are rad as hell) on my one my hacked Switch!

I would consider Atmosphere easier to use for the most part nowadays, even if having to jig the console is an inconvenience I'd love to eventually have to not be a thing.
Drag and drop ROMs and external HDD support.

My two favourite features. Both exclusive to TXOS

dangopig

Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Democratic Republic of the
The issue is China probably. They don't really care if their citizens are doing crimes against a Japanese company.

Good point, though Nintendo has more than enough money to pay off the government, make them hand over the creators and voila!

vinhdt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it our fault that their device is exploitable? They should have hire better people to secure their devices. They can't sue someone else because their product is insecure. It's the company fault, not the consumer or resellers.

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The average leftist GBATemp user doesn't comprehend intellectual property rights requires either a tyrannical global government micromanging everyone as slaves (aka New World Order), or becoming an autonomous hermit kingdom like North Korea with armies of lawyers micromanaging IP internally. In either scenario you're going to be living in tyranny as a micromanaged slave.
Yup copyright is mostly based in the illusion of scarcity and enforcing it indeed results in micromanage slave/tiranny.
How dare they decide what we should do to our own stuff.

Raibakuoh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
How is mod your console different to put it a sticker on it?, Is yours, you could be able to break it, hack it or use it as pillow if you want.
I'll understand they ban you from their online and it's ok, but that much hate on a reseller? Why they don't go for the big fish or do a better hardware? Xbox and last PS4firmware are still secure to this day.

Reactions: IncredulousP
D

Deleted User

i have a confession to make, although i own every Nintendo Console since Release, even owning multiple of the same, i will never justify purchasing Wii U Game Ports on Nintendo switch, the console is great but for the past 3 years all they gave us is Wii U ports and shovelware games from iphone

3DS concept was great, i wish we had a successor with a Nvidia chip.

now that they have combined the portable and home R&D departments, we never going to get innovative things like the 3D screen 3DS, that was their highlight for the portable device evolution

and Wii u was an incredible Console it was a Wii HD console but sadly without any 3rd party game support, imagine if we got a wii U evolution device that was a single device whcih streamed your game to TV wirelessly by its dock an you still had 2 screens or even a 3d screen, i am not sure why go backwards and release super game boy advance [nintendo Switch] that plays xbox 360 games quality....

nintendo switch is basically an iPad mini with detachable controllers and nintendo exclusive games

Last edited by ,
Reactions: IncredulousP

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Probably bought them second hand so nintendo doesn't get jack shit from him i do it all the time for nintendo shit as i despise them for other reasons much like apple

Last edited by chrisrlink,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Bugspanker 2000.