Nintendo Switch firmware update 14.1.1 released

Screenshot_20220418-201513_Brave.jpg

Nintendo has put out a brand new system software update for the Nintendo Switch, if you can believe it. To the shock and amazement of all, the newly released official firmware version 14.1.1 does the oh so typical fare of adding some stability to the console. That's all as far as patch notes go, and SciresM already assured Atmosphere users that there shouldn't be any issues with loading the CFW, assuming you're up to date. A version 1.3.2 of Atmosphere should be out soon, according to the team, regardless, which will add some minor features and bug fixes.

:arrow: Source: https://en-americas-support.nintend...tch-system-updates-and-change-history#current

dysphoria

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I thought airplane mode didn't work while docked.
You take off the console from the dock, activate airplane mode, and put it back to the dock. Even if you want to use bluetooth or other features, you can go to the settings and select what things you want to still be activated.

Reactions: godreborn

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't tell anyone else but I actually kinda like it that way. Honestly, most things people complain about don't feel like things they actually miss, just things they can bitch about Nintendo for.
I tend to agree and am finding flashy, bloated GUIs and themes with pretty much anything to be rather gauche, dated, and generally just unnecessary anymore.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tend to agree and am finding flashy, bloated GUIs and themes with pretty much anything to be rather gauche, dated, and generally just unnecessary anymore.
I think themes add a more personalized touch, which is what a lot of people want. folders as well, since the group thing is too many button presses. it should be quick and simple. anyway, I wish the switch or Nintendo would actually offer an achievement system. I didn't really care about trophies or achievements before, but I think it's a good way to gauge your completeness of a game. since I didn't play any games really with the ps3 and ps4 era, I have a lot of catching up to do. I only need 5 achievements in tales of arise, which I plan to get soon. then, I'll start on dragon quest xi on the switch, since I bought it on there.

Archolm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't care for themes but simple folder support? How can anyone in their right mind defend these billion-dollar companies for not adding basic features is what I don't get.

Reactions: SexiestManAlive

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
every so often I see fan mockups of a "Switch menu redesign" and they all look like shit, I actually really like the simplicity of the system and its menu personally
I know they're trying to avoid potential entry points but like...they just kinda give up on the things they'd say they'd do? i guess with the wii u loading taking forever and them getting rightly smacked around for it, they're a little gun-shy to add any features?
Things they said they'd do? I don't remember them ever announcing features they haven't added yet,

they tweaked the emulator for each particular game. for the switch they tried a more "one for all" approach. they fixed a few things, but it still has a ways to go.

95% sounds like a number you feel, rather than a number based on anything tangible. they fixed a few of the more glaring graphical issues, and the lag is slightly better, but it's still incredibly laggy. I'd say it's closer to playable than it was before, but it's still not really the n64 experience. even when compared to the wii u, the lag is still pretty bad.
Yeah it's by no means perfect, and 95% is just a made-up number I pulled out of my ass. I do think it's improving, though, and I think it's important to recognize that a lot of the most glaring issues that people originally pointed out have since been fixed, instead of acting like it's just as bad as it was at launch.

Might be totally subjective, but I don't think I've noticed any lag. Not to say it isn't there, it just hasn't been a noticeable issue to me. Probably not perfect, and probably not 'the N64 experience' but frankly, with how hard the system is to emulate, you're not getting the N64 experience on anything but real hardware.

SexiestManAlive

The key that lights the dark
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't tell anyone else but I actually kinda like it that way. Honestly, most things people complain about don't feel like things they actually miss, just things they can bitch about Nintendo for.

That said, though, aren't themes literally already possible through homebrew? Do they actually affect system performance all that much?
not me, i genuinely loved themes, and was heartbroken finding out the switch only got a measly 2

SexiestManAlive

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think themes add a more personalized touch, which is what a lot of people want. folders as well, since the group thing is too many button presses. it should be quick and simple. anyway, I wish the switch or Nintendo would actually offer an achievement system. I didn't really care about trophies or achievements before, but I think it's a good way to gauge your completeness of a game. since I didn't play any games really with the ps3 and ps4 era, I have a lot of catching up to do. I only need 5 achievements in tales of arise, which I plan to get soon. then, I'll start on dragon quest xi on the switch, since I bought it on there.
this, while unnecessary, wii u and 3ds menus are FAR better then what we have now, from not only a style standpoint, but also for functionality.

Reactions: godreborn

SexiestManAlive

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care for themes but simple folder support? How can anyone in their right mind defend these billion-dollar companies for not adding basic features is what I don't get.
fucking this, groups are shit, yes at least we have a way to sort games, but come on, is it really that hard to just make it so we can have folders on the homescreen

Reactions: godreborn and Kioku

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can confirm, the Sigpatches for 14.1.0 are exactly the same for 14.1.1, Hekate and Atmosphére works fine, and everything, including installing using DBI and running games works like a charm.

even the bootlogos and Themes patches are the same.

great! wasn’t looking forward to another round of let’s see what’s broken now!

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is very good news. This means new version of Atmosphere soon. I am excited, how about you?

Actually also means Nintendo probably screw up something. The more reason not to update to latest HOS too soon.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fucking this, groups are shit, yes at least we have a way to sort games, but come on, is it really that hard to just make it so we can have folders on the homescreen
It's almost certainly by design. The groups are functionally equal to folders, they're just in a submenu (as inconvenient as that may be to some)
Considering the menu is a list of last-played games and not a sortable menu like older consoles, I think putting folders onto it would probably necessitate a complete design overhaul, which they don't want to do for a variety of reasons (most importantly performance)

SexiestManAlive

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's almost certainly by design. The groups are functionally equal to folders, they're just in a submenu (as inconvenient as that may be to some)
Considering the menu is a list of last-played games and not a sortable menu like older consoles, I think putting folders onto it would probably necessitate a complete design overhaul, which they don't want to do for a variety of reasons (most importantly performance)
if homebrew can do it, they can do it as well, there's ulaunch which basically replaces the whole ui with a custom one, and allows for folders, and the way they did it was pretty good, Nintendo wouldn't need to completely change the ui in order to add it in. The performance impact of it wouldn't be THAT big to warrant not doing it at all.

Reactions: binkinator

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if homebrew can do it, they can do it as well, there's ulaunch which basically replaces the whole ui with a custom one, and allows for folders, and the way they did it was pretty good, Nintendo wouldn't need to completely change the ui in order to add it in. The performance impact of it wouldn't be THAT big to warrant not doing it at all.
sure, but why would they add them when groups are functionally identical? the only real difference is that you have to press a couple extra buttons to get to them

SexiestManAlive

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sure, but why would they add them when groups are functionally identical? the only real difference is that you have to press a couple extra buttons to get to them
because they'll be on the homescreen instead of in the all apps menu, meaning you can get to them instantly upon launching the system.

SexiestManAlive

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh god, not a mild inconvenience! Those three extra buttons to push will be the death of me.
you asked me why they should add them, if you don't like my answer simply don't reply, no need to be a dick about it. I simply believe folders would be better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto