Nintendo Patches Out Same-Sex Marriage

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
I wished they hadn't patched out same sex marriage, but regardless, I don't see this game leaving Japan anyway.

Well, it was a glitch. From the game-breaking kind.
Then again, if they have done otherwise, they would probably get mauled by feminists (over the trick not being possible for women), and the CERO / conservative groups for the game containing content not matching the rating. Not to mention some people may find the male pregnancy bit offending. And the people who are, well, annoyed by their saves being wiped out.
Doomed if they do, doomed if they don't.
Nintendo is DOOOOOOMED

It doesn't seem like it's going to be exported anytime soon. I read in a French interview they did plan to bring the DS opus, experimenting with Reggie's Mii, but somehow these plans were swept under the rug along with Fire Emblem 12...
Oh, speaking of Fire Emblem.... it's not like Nintendo actively avoids such content in games, but hey, gaming journalism.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not to mention some people may find the male pregnancy bit offending.

There are fools in the world that would find homosexuality offensive but male pregnancy.... why did nobody tell me there was a whole other class of cretins out there that I could be winding up?

Reactions: Sicklyboy

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
It's kind of stupid to take offense over something that wasn't even intended to be part of the original product. So people found a workaround for gay couples, but getting pregnant? And getting angry over patching a glitch out? That's just ridiculous.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo released a patch today which it said would correct a handful of technical issues including, according to Kotaku's translation, "human relations that become strange."
I'd like to hear the version that didn't come from Google Translate.
Here is the original text.

更新内容
  • 『トモダチコレクション 新生活 Mii引越しソフト』で引越してきたMiiがいるときに、場合により以下のような現象が起きる問題を修正しました。
     ・ゲームが起動できなくなる
     ・エラーが発生する
     ・人間関係がおかしくなる
     ・セーブできなくなる
  • HOMEメニューの「おしらせリスト」で、旅立たせた子供から連絡があったというおしらせを受け取ったのに、連絡がこないことがある問題を修正しました。(更新データのダウンロード後に受信した連絡より、正しく受け取れます。)
  • そのほか、ゲームを快適に遊んでいただけるよう、いくつかの問題を修正しました。
Update Details
  • We have fixed the following issues, which may occur when transferred Mii's are present in Tomodachi Collection: New Life Mii transfer software.
     ・the game becomes unbootable
     ・errors occur
     ・human relations become strange
     ・unable to save
  • HOME Menu yada yada yada
  • (too lazy to translate the rest)
Kotaku's translation is "human relations that become strange," but there is no "that" in the original Japanese text. At this point it's just a matter of how anal you want to be about the grammar (the Japanese sentence おかしくなる人間関係 would more accurately translate to "human relations *that* become strange," but whatevs). For all intents and purposes the Kotaku translation is pretty much spot-on.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about we not make judgement calls on homosexuality in general, and just focus on the topic at hand, yeah?
Ah so you're the reason I didn't get 5000000 quotes and the thread didn't get good. No freedom of speech on the temp I see. And tho I doubt it, Nintendo could have very well meant gay = strange.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This is a moment of mixed feelings for me. Personally I would love it if the game had gay marriage in it, but It seemed that really issue with the glitch was more males getting pregnant, which I would say is a strange thing indeed and not the fact that men were getting married.
I don't really think they chose the best wording though :/

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If you consider guys getting pregnant, I would say "Human relations that get fucked up" and be done with it.
I would say that "guys getting pregnant" is more a violation of how male physiology works and has little to do with human relations.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure Nintendo meant that statement to encompass the male pregnancy glitch as well as the male-male relationship glitch. They just couldn't be bothered with semantics in a bugfix report.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just another example of "People need to grow a fucking skin!"

Pretty soon we'll all be so busy hunting down reasons to be offended that we forget how to enjoy anything. God the younger generation is sooooo lame.

(Oh look, he said "lame" in a derogatory sense...... he must hate the disabled)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm not one for internet canceling but fuck prime I'll still probably buy the new flavors but...