Nintendo of America discontinues the NES Classic

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Apr 13, 2017.

1. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    Fucking shit, and Amazon's restock of it lists it at around $90, last I read. Ugh, I really don't know who to be mad at, the people who bought more than one for the sole reason of scalping, or Nintendo for not producing enough to meet the high demand. Did they seriously underestimate how hot the product would be? Seems they're not underestimating the Switch, hell they may risk overestimating it.

Sigh.

cvskid, Subtle Demise and tbb043 like this.

2. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Enjoy your moonrunes and hardwired controllers that are so short you're best off using it as a crotch warmer.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  3. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    I'm lost at what you aren't getting. I legitimately mean: NA would get a legitimate FC mini while JP would get a legitimate NES mini. As it is now, look at the picture of the NA mini--it's Gray. The FC mini is Red/Gold. Take those and swap them. The legitimate release NA got was Gray; I want a legitimate (official) Nintendo release of the color variation so I could have a legitimate Red/Gold 'NES' mini instead of the original Grey. Which they don't sell at G$ or anywhere, because it hasn't been made, which would make it legitimate (real in my eyes) 2day.

4. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    No, don't get me wrong, i'm not dumb enough to buy those things, i have my android tv shield tv and is godlike :P

5. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    This would have been fantastic for a complete ROM set and the various ROM hacks.

6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Even those have better emulators.

7. TVL

TVL #|

Feb 17, 2004
    World -1
    If only there was some other way to emulate the NES.

8BitWonder likes this.
  8. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I've actually never understood this one either.
    I can understand where they where creating a huge demand before Christmas, but I was shocked to find out that half way through December they were still ship only like 1 to 2 systems to stores every week.
    I was even more shocked that they didn't ship a shit ton right before Christmas. In fact a week before Christmas Nintendo didn't ship any to my store.

HylianMario and Subtle Demise like this.
  9. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I know, right? It's not like people can use an Android device or their consoles or anything :P

10. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    You can walk into about a dozen stores in my area and not see a single Nintendo system of any type. What is going on with this company's distribution?

11. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Sounds like you're mad because you couldn't get one.

DarthDub and DinohScene like this.
  12. codezer0

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    WiiU is infamously blurry in picture quality on NES virtual console. Nobody has been able to figure out why. One of my coworkers brought a NES classic in to play and it was just about flawless. Lack of screen flicker when expected aside ( mega Man 2 ), it was pretty much what the doctor ordered. Short of a framemeisters.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Unless it's official means, emulation doesn't count for speedrunning.

13. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I'm not talking about the visual quality of the NES classic, it looks pretty close to the real thing, I'm talking about emulation accuracy, many people have reported that the sound is still way off in many of the games *shrug*. Nestopia beats just about any NES emulator in existence. I was talking about Nestopia on the Wii U *sigh*

14. codezer0

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Electronics company with a toy makers mindset.

Now how many stupid board members at Nintendo do we have to slap/beat/kill before they learn their lesson?

Subtle Demise and zoogie like this.
  15. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Well the nes classic fixes this issue with even most emulators. :wtf:

cvskid likes this.
  16. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    It sounds like a personal problem (no offense.)

The Famicom Classics over in Japan are both legitimate and official. If you dont want to import them because "reasons" I dont know what to say. I wouldnt hold my breath on the US region getting them.

17. xdarkmario

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    "NES Classic" Did you mean Gameboy advance micro?

18. mechagouki

mechagouki Kill 'em all...

Nov 20, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, ON
    Set for what, exactly?

it's a Japanese cultural thing I think. It doesn't really make sense, but I know of other examples. One (non-VG related) that springs to mind is the Shimano DX BMX pedal from the 1980s, this simple cast aluminum pedal sold for about $30 when it was readily available, there's a boxed, unused pair on eBay right now for just under $1000, so it would seem, with that sort of demand, that it would make sense for Shimano to produce them again, sell them at $100 or so and watch the $$$ roll in. But they won't do it, it's a project they are done with and not interested in reproducing.

Nintendo did once break this trend when they reproduced the Game & Watch handheld for a Club Nintendo reward, but that's the only example i can think of.

19. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Wouldn't the internals for the Game & Watch be completely different than the original ones? I have the one from Club Nintendo and I think somewhere on the back of them they are branded with Club Nintendo to give some differentiation.

Also releasing the NES Classic is a contradiction to that rule since the NES was already a product at some point (unless its because its an emulation box that it doesnt count.)

20. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    'I shit my pants' is a personal problem (and a 'shitty' quote), but Nintendo releasing a FC-colored NES is just something I wish they had done as it would have legitimately made more sense. If they won't produce more units to meet the current demand, I never assumed they'd legitimately make FC:USA edition.

Recap: NES is legitimate. FC is legitimate. They both have mini versions. Would be better with a design change, as in COLOR SWAP. I don't need an import of a JP console.

21. Nemix77

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    Scalpers rejoice, just started seeing stock again locally...oh wells there's always VC.