Nintendo of America discontinues the NES Classic

nes-classic-edition-box.png

It seems Nintendo is ending production of their highly popular NES Classic. Final shipments are going out to retailers this month, and there are no plans for the company to produce more of the hardware any time soon. Nintendo of Europe hasn't made a comment on the matter, so it is unknown if this pertains to just North America, or Japan and Europe as well. The NES Classic launched last year in November 2016, and was notorious for being near-impossible to get a hold of. Launching with 30 retro Nintendo Entertainment System games on a smaller version of the old-school console, the NES Classic was a holiday hit, selling over 1.5 million consoles as of January 2017.

Throughout April, NOA territories will receive the last shipments of Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition systems for this year. We encourage anyone interested in obtaining this system to check with retail outlets regarding availability. We understand that it has been difficult for many consumers to find a system, and for that we apologize. We have paid close attention to consumer feedback, and we greatly appreciate the incredible level of consumer interest and support for this product

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendulator is actually the most accurate :^).

Meh, to each their own. As long as people aren't recommending the Wii U VC or FCEU, that's all that matters. Nestopia still aims for accuracy and performance. NERD's efforts in the NES Classic are average at best.

By far, nestopia is the most accurate emulator on the PC. But what would work best on a standard Wii system?

Nestopia is available on RetroArch AFAIK.

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Considering it was out for 2 months and then hacked to allow any amount of games likely had a factor. We still don't know what Nintendo had planned in the long run for the Mini - Potential eShop interface to purchase more games down the road? I see perfect sense in them pulling the plug on something that was already hacked so early in it's lifecycle. At $60 a unit, I'm sure they were not making much of a profit at all to begin with, regardless of how many units they would have sold.

This might be a reason why they decided to scrap it, but guess what? If not hacking the Nes Mini is the reason, they can simply supply it with a FIXED burnt rom chip (ie no rewritable flash memory) of 30 * whatever game size equals to then BOOM problem solved. It might be hackable but there is no extra space. Or, they could simply make a proper copy protection... If copy protection hacking is a reason to scrap consoles all the DS's would be cancelled after the R4s and Acekards and gateways :)

They simply see it as a threat to the Switch as people (well, not all of them) will not just buy everything nintendo pumps out like me and you and pretty much everybody in these forums, so by buying the Nes Mini they are gonna wait until they go for a switch, if that. It might be a way to bring customers to the idea of paying for old games on the switch too like "Hey! Do you remember that nice (not) nes mini we put out and how cool it was? Now you can do the same in the switch, just for more than the nes!".

In any case, Nintendo needs all the fucking support in the world right now. They have an end of life console (3ds), a cancelled mini console that sells like chocolate waffles right outside a coffee shop in Amsterdam and a new console that begs for attention and developers of the west. Cancelling any source of income is like shooting your left leg while running a marathon, thinking you will still finish 1st.

rad3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol this thread made me look them up on eBay. That's so dumb. I kinda wanted one, but I guess it's not meant to be, whatever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb