Nintendo of America discontinues the NES Classic

nes-classic-edition-box.png

It seems Nintendo is ending production of their highly popular NES Classic. Final shipments are going out to retailers this month, and there are no plans for the company to produce more of the hardware any time soon. Nintendo of Europe hasn't made a comment on the matter, so it is unknown if this pertains to just North America, or Japan and Europe as well. The NES Classic launched last year in November 2016, and was notorious for being near-impossible to get a hold of. Launching with 30 retro Nintendo Entertainment System games on a smaller version of the old-school console, the NES Classic was a holiday hit, selling over 1.5 million consoles as of January 2017.

Throughout April, NOA territories will receive the last shipments of Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition systems for this year. We encourage anyone interested in obtaining this system to check with retail outlets regarding availability. We understand that it has been difficult for many consumers to find a system, and for that we apologize. We have paid close attention to consumer feedback, and we greatly appreciate the incredible level of consumer interest and support for this product

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All I see if "Nintendo of america discontinue NES classic" and then "Is it going to affect europe and japan as well? or just north america?"
GODDAMIT!!! NORTH AMERICA ISNT JUST USA, ITS ALSO CANADA AND MEXICO!!!
so, here's my question : Does Nintendo of Canada also discontinue NES Classic?
yes

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When you say it was a hardware clone does that mean the internals are the same? Trying to understand and I don't want to take apart my systems to find out.
i can't find any details on the internals, but there is this from the Nintendo Wiki:

Club Nintendo version
In November of 2009 Nintendo of Japan announced that members of Club Nintendo would be eligible to receive Ball as a prize. The unit looks nearly identical to the original, though features the Club Nintendo logo on it and features a toggle that allows the user to increase or decrease the volume. This prize was only available to Club Nintendo members in Japan and was sent out in April of 2010 to those who accumulated enough points to reach Platinum Status. Unlike Nintendo of America, Nintendo automatically sent these units out to players who were eligible without the need for the user to register for it online.

Game & Watch: Ball was later released on Nintendo of America's Club Nintendo service, making it available to fans in the United States. Upon its release it was required more coins than any other product: 1200. A pre-installed battery comes with every unit.

The developers of the Club Nintendo version noted that it was challenging re-releasing Ball because none of the original documents existed anymore. Nevertheless, the developers tried to make it as faithful as possible, making very few alterations. One of the changes the developers did make was a bit of wiring that stuck out of the original Ball that was hidden by a black strip. Even though the black strip is there (in an attempt to make it look as close to the original as possible) the wiring is no longer present. Another change is the addition of an option to turn the sound off, which was a luxury not available on the original unit

Reactions: RemixDeluxe

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
There are now two possibilities:
SNES Classic is on the horizon
Nintendo decided to cut their losses after no doubt losing thousands of future VC sales to the hakchi machine.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Codemastershock

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
WiiU is infamously blurry in picture quality on NES virtual console. Nobody has been able to figure out why.
I assume it's for the gamepad. Not only to reduce data stream and minimise wireless lag but to not appear too saturated as on Wii mode, but instead of a toggle between "normal saturation" or "corrected-to-gamepad saturation", they simply throw the less desirable option.
Although the color palette is not good, if you have a TV that is calibrated correctly, you should be fine, or you will join the group of people complaining that the game is too dark.

DbGt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Is this thing worth $80 bucks?? I could get one now here in Japan for this price, its the current reselling price.

Im afraid that after this announcement (japanese version also discountinued), the price will go up

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.