Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (Eurogamer)

nintendo-logo-620x349.png

Eurogamer are reporting that Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers:

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.
Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.
A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers-146954365832.png

:arrow:Read the full article with a lot more info here: Source

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh god what a disaster. They've tried to merge portable with console and they've managed to provide neither. After the Wii u, I'd think they'd learn that nobody wants a tablet console in the living room. As for portable, they were already doing things right with the 3ds. A new highend gameboy would do really well, not this monstrosity.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh god what a disaster. They've tried to merge portable with console and they've managed to provide neither. After the Wii u, I'd think they'd learn that nobody wants a tablet console in the living room. As for portable, they were already doing things right with the 3ds. A new highend gameboy would do really well, not this monstrosity.
its a rumor...

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok Im gonna break it down to parts:

... only when youre close to the server phisically and have excel net connection, so in my place there are no such gaming servers so nvidias streamimg here is crap... and you say that always on the go I need perfect net signal just to play my zelda game? F*** ya.... Im mosta time on the go amd 3ds is perfect for me, if gaming on it would be streaming-based- I will be fucked up badly... ah and its not only me... and also for fast net you needa cable so not much portability comfort...

What???

Maybe I dont have as much knowledge as you, mr. Super scientist. The super computer was mentioned as an example. I know theyre multiple cpus. But tell me that- Is the most powerfull popular smartphone as powerfull as ps4/xb1? No! Not under any best circrumstances! Even when playing inside a freezer in -50 degreas, the current gen of mobile gaming is at most as good as 7gen consoles. And throwing something that weak into the gaming scene is a big gamble. I dont think that will be successful, and I dont see lotta ppl I know go and buy weak shit thats meant to b played on tv while cheap gaming pc/xb1/ps4 are still outa here! Really? Mobile proccessor for a huge company's next- gen platform?
Unless theres some catch or somethings wrong(probably) with that info- I dont see it going well

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Im think the same way but look at the original awkward wii controller. Like, its just a gimmic and not good (in my opinion) for mosta games. But still a huge success... ppl are stupid.
I have a degree in physics. The most powerful mobile chip is half as powerful as a ps4 the limiting factors are heat. Streaming has to do with badwidth not real life distance.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The biggest question is: Can it run KODI? Honestly the biggest thing Wii U is lacking is a decent media player. Otherwise, I'm fairly happy with my Wii U
>kodi
just buy a damn fire tv stick on prime day for 25$ it's cheap enough
extra memory and power would be nice though i guess but have not had any problems so far with the sticks
maybe when i get a 4k tv and xiaomi google tv box is released i will upgrade

if this is true....
don't worry N will be fine ,just as long as their entire of board of directors and the all upper level executives commit sepukku

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>kodi
just buy a damn fire tv stick on prime day for 25$ it's cheap enough
extra memory and power would be nice though i guess but have not had any problems so far with the sticks
maybe when i get a 4k tv and xiaomi google tv box is released i will upgrade

if this is true....
don't worry N will be fine ,just as long as their entire of board of directors and the all upper level executives commit sepukku

I have a Fire TV but I'm trying not to have s many boxes. Would have nixed my Fire TV if the damn Android emulators for PC would gain proper gamepad support and not that button mapping crap!

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Eurogamer are reporting that Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers:

:arrow:Read the full article with a lot more info here: Source

So a Wii U, but all tucked in the controller, but a slimmer version of the controller, but with all sorts of fancy bells and whistles.

Glad I sold me Wii U, waiting for upgrade.

FM360

Kappa
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
After looking at the specs of the graphics chip Nintendo chose to use, the chip is almost as powerful as a GTX 1060, so I can't wait to see how good the games look on this thing.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't really care much about home consoles, I buy them but they aren't my priority. I like small handhelds and I buy as many games for the 3DS and Vita (not so small, but still fits my pockets), if this NX tries to merge both markets and makes it bigger than what I usually like. I will not be buying it.
I bought around 50 games for the 3DS, all new and not a single used one (mostly because I'm not fond of buying used games when they are still being sold new), I like my games to be handheld, also, that would make the two versions of Dragon Quest XI pointless in Nintendo systems. Supposedly, the handheld version for the 3DS (the one I find the most interesting due to having dif game styles) and the home system version, fully 3D for the PS4 and NX. There are games meant to be played on the go, while others, like MGS, aren't.

Reactions: Zense and DrkBeam

JAWS_XS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you gave me 30 minutes..I could post a pic with almost every Nintendo console ever made. I collect them...use them. If this is true, I will not buy this! WTF are they thinking?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
After looking at the specs of the graphics chip Nintendo chose to use, the chip is almost as powerful as a GTX 1060, so I can't wait to see how good the games look on this thing.
This thing is supposed to use the NVidia X1 or a derrivative, it's nowhere near a 1060, or am I missing something? You can't get desktop GPU-like performance from a portable system - it'd either melt or blow through the battery in minutes.

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Here is a thought:

Tegra X2 for GPU (Since the dev units apparently used an overclocked X1) with an 720p or less resolution for the mobile part. (Mobile games don't need Full HD to look good).

Then a dock, with extra storage and a stronger GPU to upscale games to 1080p for TV.

I'd buy that.

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not sure why people think the X1 is weak. It's stronger than the Wii U, and it can actually run SOME OpenGL games better than PS4 and XB1 can. The graphics can get pretty close to PS4. Check this tech demo:

(Forgive the shitty intro)

And yeah, PS4 looks better in every way, but it's not that huge of a gap, and remember that this device is 100% portable. You can take it on the bus, at work, at school, on the toilet.

I think it won't fail. Is there another mobile gaming device that's this strong? If this has good third party support and can run games like GTA, COD, etc. then I can really see this appealing to a lot of people.

On multiplatform games sure they gap wont be that big as the video shows but for optimized ps4 games the difference is night and day

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think about it this way.

You're at home playing on your docking station let's say breath of the wild. You just completed a dungeon but have to go to a doctors appointment bummer right? With a normal home console you couldn't do anything about it and would have to leave from being immersed in the game. With this you can unplug it from the dock and play it where ever you want. No need to wait to get back home. Let's say there is a tv at the doctors and you're in a private room. Plug it in and play it on the tv! Essentially this is a always on play anywhere console and I love it!

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
guys. the nx is clearly a handheld that can upscale to your tv. kinda like a vita tv if they put a display and native, detachable, control interface. It's not a console like wiiu or ps4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :ohnoes: @NoiseCommander3DS Would you please turn down that noise. I haven't had my COFFEE yet... +1