Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (Eurogamer)

nintendo-logo-620x349.png

Eurogamer are reporting that Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers:

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.
Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.
A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers-146954365832.png

:arrow:Read the full article with a lot more info here: Source

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't see what all the hate is about.

Make this powered by a single charging cable or even better, include a battery for on the go gaming, and I'm sold. Sold with a capital S.

Essentially a better Nigeria shield.

Essentially a better Nvidia Shield.

EDIT: Let's forget I just freaking typed that.

Last edited by WhiteMaze,
Reactions: Zense

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming this rumour turns out to be accurate.

okay, so let's say it's x2. Because wishful thinking. It won't have to run on an OS, it'll run straight off the hardware. This will help a great deal in terms of abilities and the like. I'd say it's likely around Wii U power, maybe less, maybe more, but somewhere around there.

Disappointing as it isn't a legit home console, but it should be able to be ported to easily enough. Well, as long as it isn't too intense. I dunno, it's something.

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After hearing all the rumors right now, I'm actually quite excited!
I find the concept interesting and I like how Nintendo has the balls to try something different (unlike two other companies I know).
I don't really care if the specs aren't as good as the PS4 and Xbox One or if the graphics can't compare. The Wii U isn't even close to those two consoles, and I've had more fun with my Wii U than my PS4 and Xbox One.
I like how I'll be able to take it on the go. It's something that Sony tried doing the Vita, but it just wasn't completely practical as you needed decent internet on the go.

Just imagine playing Breath of the Wild at home, then continue playing on the go with a same or similar experience.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh my god. I didn't read the last 6 pages because I was so fed up with this thread but most of the first 6 were people complaining about the console being gimmicky. Do you want a third system that will be the same as the microsoft and sony systems with a few exclusives? Nintendo thrives off of two things, first party exclusives and unique features. Whether or not YOU want the gimmick is irrelivent. It will be there because it sets them apart in the market and they would be doomed if the DIDN'T add one. If they release a handheld that has the power of a Wii u even without the full console function I would buy it.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Oh my god. I didn't read the last 6 pages because I was so fed up with this thread but most of the first 6 were people complaining about the console being gimmicky. Do you want a third system that will be the same as the microsoft and sony systems with a few exclusives? Nintendo thrives off of two things, first party exclusives and unique features. Whether or not YOU want the gimmick is irrelivent. It will be there because it sets them apart in the market and they would be doomed if the DIDN'T add one. If they release a handheld that has the power of a Wii u even without the full console function I would buy it.

Precisely.

People keep associating the innovation Nintendo brings to the gaming world, with their failed systems. In essence, somehow people believe Nintendo should release another Nintendo One or NintenStation 4.

We have Sony and Microsoft for that battle, we dont need a third one.

Fact of the matter is that Nintendo's biggest innovations were a major success around the world. Such were the cases of the Nintendo DS and Wii. Different. Innovative. Appealing. So the issue is not hardware.

Here is the issue:

FREAKING THIRD PARTY SUPPORT GOD DAMN IT.

Last edited by WhiteMaze,
Reactions: Zense and bi388

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
But guy, serious. This is no innovation, smartphone and tablet did this years ago.

Connect to tv, check. separate handle that attach to the side.

2483307_e7790614b406479cdf27dd243b3cc0fd.jpg

check please.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
Here is the issue:

FREAKING THIRD PARTY SUPPORT GOD DAMN IT.
I wouldn't say that. Frankly, I really want to have a WiiU, but the only two things that are barring me right now (and since launch) are the price tag and the ease of hacking. I want a WiiU for all the 1st party titles; I can't think of a single non-nintendo title that I would even buy to play on a WiiU, much less purchase the console for. Would better 3rd party support help? Of course, but it's not a necessity, at least for me.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't say that. Frankly, I really want to have a WiiU, but the only two things that are barring me right now (and since launch) are the price tag and the ease of hacking. I want a WiiU for all the 1st party titles; I can't think of a single non-nintendo title that I would even buy to play on a WiiU, much less purchase the console for. Would better 3rd party support help? Of course, but it's not a necessity, at least for me.
I agree as someone who has a pc I use for dark souls and other non exclusive games but I can see more casual gamers wanting a system with the new pokemon and gta or whatever. Also if you get a Wii U get bayo 2, it's an amazing third party exclusive.

Cha0tic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

People like to complain, most of these people here ridiculing are gonna buy the NX when it drops and then flame anyone who bashes it. Just wait and see.

I'm all for something different, I don't care about a power house console. All Nintendo needs to do is throw some good games like they always do and I'm satisfied. I enjoyed my wii and wiiu, and the exclusives I honestly love more then the exclusives on Xbox and ps4.

I grew up with Nintendo, sega and Sony consoles. And always enjoyed Nintendo more then the others.

Reactions: gnmmarechal

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As an owner of the nvidia shield tablet I think Nintendo is going in the right direction. I look forward to playing Zelda on the NX when it comes out.

Sheikah Impa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Customers: "Ok Nintendo, give us a traditional console."

Nintendo: "You want motion control?"

Customers: "No Nintendo, we want a traditional console. Traditionaaaal."

Nintendo: "Ok, we give motion control."

Customers: "No, listen. We want a regular freaking console."

Nintendo: "Ok, we give controller screen."

Customers: "For christs sake Nintendo. We just want a regular freaking console. This is your last chance."

Nintendo: "Ok, we give console."

Customers: "God finally...Thank you."

Nintendo: "But it really tablet with ability to be console!"

Customers: "SON OF A B****"

zac122

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've read through a couple of these pages and there's a serious misunderstanding I think. If these rumors are true THE NX IS NOT A HOME CONSOLE. it would be a handheld. Just because everyone expected the NX to be a home console doesn't make it so, and frankly if this is what the NX turns out to be it'll be a serious upgrade from the 3ds. I for one am very excited for the next generation of Nintendo handheld.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o