Nintendo is suing the Yuzu emulator team

dsadasadsads.png

Nintendo is going after the development team of an emulator. A legal case was filed by Nintendo yesterday, alleging that the Nintendo Switch emulator, Yuzu, has caused damages to the company by allowing for its games to be played illegally before release. The suit also claims that the company behind the emulator, Tropic Haze LLC, makes a profit by facilitating piracy, noting that during the leak of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Yuzu's Patreon saw a large increase in users. Nintendo's legal team makes a case that Tropic Haze profits from and popularizes video game piracy.

In the legal document, Nintendo refers to an emulator as, "a piece of software that allows users to unlawfully play pirated video games". They also assert that the Yuzu team is aware of the emulator's use in the context of piracy, and do not try to hide that aspect. In addition, Nintendo's legal team states that extracting your own keys from a Nintendo Switch console--a requirement to run any Nintendo Switch emulator--is illegal.

:arrow: Source

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm hoping there is a GoFundMe or Kickstarter for yuzu's legal defense.

I'm sick to death of companies abusing these lawsuits to bankrupt someone that actually makes *gasp* a better product.
They got loads of money so they're probably fine

Immortallix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's very sad news. Not good. Nintendo do something more harm to emulators of developers.

There will be very sharp increase skyrocket crimes upcoming after if what emulators take down by Nintendo. People would destroy cities, dump tons of chemicals everywhere in places of lands and water to give disease / cancer to everyone, destroy everything, gun violence, lot of fighting anywhere places, drugs, murders, robberies / thieves would going to break in Nintendo markets to steal everything or/and destroy them. That's what can do something big harm to Nintendo company and their business to destroyed in near future. Huge threats are coming toward Nintendo in near future. :blink::(

I can't help but notice a trend in these videos...

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I really miss Iwata and Reggie being in control of Nintendo it was so much better and cooler.

RIP, Mr. Iwata. 😢
I feel something burst inside my chest every time I get to the credits of a Nintendo game and see Satoru Iwata's name there :sad:
Post automatically merged:

Pokémon fans, Mario fans, and Animal Crossing... furries(?) seem to counter your argument.

Nintendo has no discernable reason to change its ways when year after year they show record profits.

How long have you seen a company support a system for so long? Hm? Sure, people complain about how underpowered the Switch is, but do you see the barrage of games still coming to the system?

Dudebros want a new Switch, but the current one is still selling, the games keep coming, and the Nintendo company keeps record profits.

JUST LOOK AT PEOPLE GOING APE WITH THE NEW POKAKAMON!

The new Mario sucks.
We'll see, I guess. That's all well and good for now, and could well be the case far into future, but time will tell. I don't think a company behaving as Nintendo does can garner goodwill forever, but that's just my belief and I could well be proven wrong.

Last edited by Maximumbeans,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
finally someone normal here
Crazy there are people who think that way and fail to realize that the stakes aren't just about Yuzu.

It didn't. People on Reddit (yeah, I know) are trying to say it was, but I think it required a third party modification, which the Yuzu team were not responsible for creating.
Yeah it's usually like that even for Ryujinx. They clearly state that they don't release updates to fix leaked games.

If it already works it's because the software already works as is, most of the time it needs a mod.
That's mainly why I've always argued that a modded Switch is still the best way to play a Switch game, not Yuzu or Ryujinx (unlike what some would say)

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I misfired with Dread, sure, but others are worthy of the investment. But not many.
That's not a misfire tbh. Still haven't bought Metroid Prime Remastered tho, my bad. But I will, used or not.
I think it's fine to support franchises that « need » some recognition. I'm afraid that if people don't buy the good games they produce then they'll just exclusively produce garbage shit like Pokémon

the RYU team are looking at this and they be like. awww we'll miss you guys :creep:
You think they aren't shitting their pants too ?

Reactions: MarkDarkness

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Let’s be real, with a chip like that DLSS is all you’re *really* getting, don’t expect widespread real time global illumination - that’s too resource intensive.
DLSS would be pretty nice in all honesty, seems like a perfect fit for something like the Switch.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That's not a misfire tbh. Still haven't bought Metroid Prime Remastered tho, my bad. But I will, used or not.
I think it's fine to support franchises that « need » some recognition. I'm afraid that if people don't buy the good games they produce then they'll just exclusively produce garbage shit like Pokémon
Exactly what I meant.

There are games you support, others you don't care. I pay for the games I like.

Hell, I got Metroid Prime used back in the day but bought the remaster, now. Still to play it, though.

Im the end, Nintendo does what it wants because the smashing majority of people find their investment is warranted. And they profit from them.

Reactions: LightBeam

DarkKaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe if they stopped making low-spec dogshit hardware they wouldn't have this problem. Of course modern CPU's are going to have no issues emulating 10 year old hardware that was already outdated at launch to begin with. You don't see any of Nintendo's competitors having issues with current gen emulation.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
have the yuzu people released any sort of statement in response to this yet? do we know what kind of legal defense resources they have?

Tuhr

Doctor Spaceballs
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who doesn't Nintendo sue? They'd litigate for using officially licensed products if losing money in court costs was not an impediment.

Xmortal

Other Nickname Legarad
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
So does a hacked Switch.
You don't even need a hacked Switch to play leaked games, unless they are a copy of the leaked games. All the games leaked on Switch are physical games because they are early sales/shipping games, a Nintendo Switch can already run these games and if the Nintendo Switch is hacked, the user can copy it and upload it to the internet. On the other hand, a digital game pre-downloaded is not accessible until the day of release because it lacks the access key.

According to points 32 and 33 of the same lawsuit, it mentions that the games are made up of two parts, the game content and the access key, it is also mentioned that the physical version has the access key included as a header in the content of the game. While the digital versions have it separated from the game content

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye