Hardware Nintendo fixed Joy-Con connection issue with just a foam

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
conductive foam at the bottom right of the Joy-Con, which function apparently is to shield the antenna from interference.
If you want to shield something wouldn't you use a non-conductive material? Isn't this actually a way to expand the antenna signal or even redirect it?

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Which one did you order? My left Joy-Con connectivity issues are so bad it makes any game unplayable and ruins my day.
I need to order a smaller Tri-Wing screwdriver anyway so might as well order some conductive foam as well rather than going with the wire fix.
I have a Tri-Wing screwdriver but it was used for Wii and is twice the size of what I need.

These.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162099278363?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222350749690?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Someone said a foam won't work on the right Joy-Con, but I can't confirm that.
The Right Joy Con use a wire type antenna, instead of the on PCB used at the left joy-con. So the fixes may involve:
- Properly connecting the wire to the board (maybe it's only badly fixed in the place)
- Replacing the wire (if it have a cut on itself)
- Reallocating the wire to where it should be placed along the joycon body
- Replacing the connector at the joycon board (or the entire board)
Among others.

Reactions: WiiUBricker

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
It doesn't say mm, they probably mean cm.

It does in the description:
04695c11-356e-4cf3-aa58-edcdfdab15f7.jpg

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if you guys are more than capable of fixing the issue why risk voiding the warranty? You don't have to pay for any of the material for the repair and on top of that the round trip shipping is free.

The only good reason I could think of is if your a hobbyist with repairs or you simply cannot wait out the 2 weeks for it to be done. I'll take the safe approach on this one.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Even if you guys are more than capable of fixing the issue why risk voiding the warranty? You don't have to pay for any of the material for the repair and on top of that the round trip shipping is free.

The only good reason I could think of is if your a hobbyist with repairs or you simply cannot wait out the 2 weeks for it to be done. I'll take the safe approach on this one.
I'd honestly rather be stuck with handheld mode than be unable to play my brand new console for weeks.
Even if I fuck up badly I'll only have to replace the left JoyCon, but it seems pretty hard to fuck up, just have to be careful with any ribbon cables when opening it up.
If I had the right size triwing screwdriver I'd probably do the one wire fix instead since I could do it right now and it wouldn't require me ordering anything.

For now I've put the Switch on the table, but the HDMI cable barely reaches, so it's not a long term solution.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka

marco79

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I tried both fixes (cable and foam) with two different blue JoyCon controllers, both of them suffered from the problem beforehand.

Even though I was sceptical concerning the foam fix, I can verify that both of them work great and solved the problem.

The needed Y00 Tripoint Screwdriver is part of the iFixit Classic Pro Toolkit (very recommended). Everybody is able to do the foam fix, the risk is more or less zero.

Attachments

• JoyCon-Fix.jpeg
    JoyCon-Fix.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 293
Reactions: JimmyZ

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

It seems that nintendo actually didn't took any measures to verify that the joycons were opened by end user, so if you try the foam fix they wouldn't know that you tried it when sending the joycon back (after removing said foam).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.