Hacking Hardware Right Joy-Con not detected in-rail after grounding pin 10

zero1024

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I tried to softmod my switch before realizing that it's patched.

So I used a paperclip to ground pin 10 with pin 1 of the right joy-con rail and access RCM.

Everything worked perfectly and my switch connected with TegraRcmGUI on my pc as expected.
I never managed to Inject Payload thought because it's an XKJ100 switch and every time I was pressing the Inject Payload button, I was getting either a not being able to read the full device ID error or not responding.

So after realizing that it's not possible to softmod it, I disconnected the USB cable and hold the power button for a few seconds to reboot the switch out of RCM and boot it normally.

After booting normally in handheld mode, I quickly realized that the right joy-con was not detected as attached to the console, but instead it was working only in wireless mode.

Did I ground something that I wasn't supposed to during the paperclip trick -or- is this a software issue where after grounding the pins or entering RCM the joy-con rail may get this glitch?
And if so, how can I fix it now? 🤔

zero1024

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
@Lamcza thank you for your reply.

Obviously I can't be 100% sure but I don't think I caused any damage to the contacts or anything, that's why it seems so strange to me.🤔

And before I open it/disassemble it to attempt any repairs, I wanted to make sure that there is nothing else going on.

There is also the fact that it's a patched model, so I'm already thinking about installing a modchip and I will have to open it anyway.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Obviously I can't be 100% sure but I don't think I caused any damage to the contacts or anything, that's why it seems so strange to me.🤔

And before I open it/disassemble it to attempt any repairs, I wanted to make sure that there is nothing else going on.

There is also the fact that it's a patched model, so I'm already thinking about installing a modchip and I will have to open it anyway.

Well it looks like you will have to replace the right joycon rail.

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
You probably damaged the pins in the rail :(

I bought this pair of rails a month or so ago for my wife's redbox switch and they've been working well: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801607279682.html

I used the screwdrivers in my precision set to do the surgery, but you can get the required triwing and #00 Philips for cheap on AE too. I've had decent luck with the ones with the red see-through handles, though they only last a handful of surgeries.

The surgery is kinda tedious, but watch a couple videos, be gentle, and be patient and you'll do fine.

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

did you try to resync this joy :P? push round button on the side till the lights starts blinking then pair it on the switch but not by attaching it to the rail just on the switch joycon options.

You can see if you bend the pins but you need to look good :D lets hope that you dont short any nono pins insted of the right ones.

zero1024

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Thank you all for your helpful replies, I still don't think I bend the pins, unfortunately in my mind grounding something that I wasn't supposed to by accident is more likely. 🫤 And that's very bad... I hoped that it was a software thing.

I didn't want to open it and decided to work on that super tight space.

By the way I'm not new to this, I'm just very rusty 😅

I modded my original xbox back in the day, then xbox360 and wii 😎😄

Original xbox and wii are still my favorites in terms of softmodding.

But now I'm a happy programmer, far away from "hardware tinkering" 🤣 Until I met my switch... 😁
Post automatically merged:

I can confirm that the right joy-con is charging normally when attached to the console, even though it's not recognized as being attached to the console.

Last edited by zero1024,

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thank you all for your helpful replies, I still don't think I bend the pins, unfortunately in my mind grounding something that I wasn't supposed to by accident is more likely. 🫤 And that's very bad... I hoped that it was a software thing.

I didn't want to open it and decided to work on that super tight space.

By the way I'm not new to this, I'm just very rusty 😅

I modded my original xbox back in the day, then xbox360 and wii 😎😄

Original xbox and wii are still my favorites in terms of softmodding.

But now I'm a happy programmer, far away from "hardware tinkering" 🤣 Until I met my switch... 😁
Post automatically merged:

I can confirm that the right joy-con is charging normally when attached to the console, even though it's not recognized as being attached to the console.
So both joycons are not recognizable? Do you have any other pair to test the switch and eliminate this part of the equation?

zero1024

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So both joycons are not recognizable? Do you have any other pair to test the switch and eliminate this part of the equation?
No it's just the right Joy-Con, the left Joy-Con is untouched and always worked properly 😅

I tried to charge the right Joy-Con overnight and it charged normally to 100%.
Still not detected as attached to the console, but it's charging normally when it's attached to the console.

Unfortunately I don't have another Joy-Con to test 🫤

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No it's just the right Joy-Con, the left Joy-Con is untouched and always worked properly 😅

I tried to charge the right Joy-Con overnight and it charged normally to 100%.
Still not detected as attached to the console, but it's charging normally when it's attached to the console.

Unfortunately I don't have another Joy-Con to test 🫤
I mean form the cheapest parts you can change rail in that joycon but before anything you should test console with another joy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol